To cover or not to cover your winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > To cover or not to cover your winch

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Mistic
1987 YJ Wrangler 

To cover or not to cover your winch

Hey everyone...I've just recently installed a new front winch bumper and winch on my jeep. I've been debating on whether to use a cover for the winch. Some people tell me to cover it to keep it dry and out of the elements, other have said not to because the covers actually hold moisture under the cover. What do you think? Any suggestions or opinions? Thanks!

Unread 08-15-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
unrealtrip
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well, depends on the winch I suppose. My Ramsey rep8k has been in the elements for 10 or so years and always works when I need it, though it has gotten a little rust on it. I think that is also one of the values of the submersion tests magazines do, aside from dunking your winch which inevitably will happen wheeling, rain will seep in. So if you've got one of the winches that failed to pass a dunk test, I'd cover it.
www.secretreality.com
unrealtrip is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.