Cost: arb vs ox - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-11-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
nathanotis

Cost: arb vs ox

After some web shopping I'm still kind of wondering, all things being equal, is a full set up from arb, including evening needed to convert a totally unlocked jeep front and rear, about the same cost as the same offering from Ox? It seems pretty close to me (with arb being only slightly higher) and I want to be sure I'm not missing anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-11-2017, 03:27 PM
xxdabroxx
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I went E-locker as it was a bit cheaper than an ARB.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-11-2017, 05:49 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanotis View Post
After some web shopping I'm still kind of wondering, all things being equal, is a full set up from arb, including evening needed to convert a totally unlocked jeep front and rear, about the same cost as the same offering from Ox? It seems pretty close to me (with arb being only slightly higher) and I want to be sure I'm not missing anything.
Between those two I'd go ARB no matter what.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 01-11-2017, 06:23 PM
toximus
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I agree and plan to go ARB with my build but care to elaborate? I'm curious what your reasons are.

post #5 of 11 Old 01-11-2017, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
nathanotis

Quote:
I've seen a lot of your posts, Jerry. I find that I usually agree with you. I'd like to hear your reasons... Have you used Ox before?
post #6 of 11 Old 01-11-2017, 09:25 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Are you talking about OX cable or air?

Romney in 2020!
post #7 of 11 Old 01-11-2017, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
nathanotis

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Are you talking about OX cable or air?
I've been considering cable. I like the idea of mechanical actuation. Seems very black and white to me. I also like that if the Ox breaks, I can install a bolt to lock it up and get off the trail. Plus, I'm planning on running an atlas and having all those shifters and levers appeal to me on a basic gamer/pilot level (only mostly joking). But seriously, placement could be a pain...

That being said, I had air lockers in my '03 Rubi, and I liked those quite a bit. But they weren't flawless. I remember having problems with them not wanting to lock up at one point. Probably a kink in the air line, I don't recall exactly. But I know those weren't ARB's so that's not a fair comparison.

Bottom line is: I'm planning a big build and I don't have the kind of money it takes to do it more than once!
post #8 of 11 Old 01-12-2017, 12:30 PM
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

I faced a similar question and after considering all the + and -, went with ARB and am glad for it.

I also wanted OBA so engineered the ARBs to run off the OBA system (sub circuit PSI properly stepped down of course). Thus no need for a separate compressor. My OBA is engine belt driven AC compressor w/ 5 gal storage tank.

Also added mechanical pneumatic valves to avoid the electric solenoids. The valves are built into the shift knob, so locker power is right in your palm. This way also permits independent use of front or rear or both. And it screwed right onto the shift lever. Stupid simple.

like this

https://www.bigmachineparts.com/prod...wDAhoCAZbw_wcB

We liked the cable actuator idea but since we could match the OBA for general purposes and power the ARBs it was an easy choice.

good luck

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697

post #9 of 11 Old 01-12-2017, 12:58 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have run ARBs for a long time and I am happy with them. I have run with a couple people with Ox's. They seem to have to play around with things to get them un locked. I t may have been how they routed the cable, not sure.

Both seem to work really well, I think the installation itself what is the most important. I would find who I trust to do the work and ask them what they are most familiar with.

01 TJ, 34 Super Swaper 34x10.5 bias, Winch, locked, belly up, some armor, 4.0, 5spd
post #10 of 11 Old 01-12-2017, 01:35 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanotis View Post
I've seen a lot of your posts, Jerry. I find that I usually agree with you. I'd like to hear your reasons... Have you used Ox before?
I haven't used an Ox but I was close to one of its developers in the very beginning who spent a lot of time explaining its development to me. I just never liked its cable actuation and how difficult it was to mount the levers, not to mention earlier versions of the shifter mechanism used to go out of adjustment. I understand that has been resolved by now though.

I don't really have a great reason any more, and yes I know you can use air now too, only that properly installed ARBs never really had issues and are still considered (by most) to be pretty much the best and most reliable selectable locker available. I did an unofficial count of various lockers used in the King of the Hammers event I was at several years ago and over 90% were using ARB air lockers, less than 5% were using Ox Lockers.

So while there's probably not all that much wrong with today's Ox locker, it just wouldn't be on my short list of potential selectable lockers if I was to be in the market for one.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #11 of 11 Old 01-13-2017, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
nathanotis

Quote:
I don't really have a great reason any more
Fair enough. I'm sure the Ox would do the job, but the more I think about it, the more I start to think that cool levers and my desire to run something a little different from everyone else aren't necessarily reason enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.