Converting a portable smittybuilt compressor to onboard air - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Converting a portable smittybuilt compressor to onboard air

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockRubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 08-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #16
mudcrwsr
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblack View Post
I have mine mounted on board, it is the smitty as well that I received as a gift. I have an amplifier that is mounted under the rear seat. I had a leftover splitter (for 2 amplifiers) that came in the wiring kit. I put that in and ran the compressor wires to the splitter as I had to mount the compressor in the back because the charcoal canister is mounted under the hood in my jeep and I also have the manual with the clutch master cylinder in the way. This means everything is already fused and ready to go through the amp wiring. The one thing I don't have is a tank. But this system works great for filling up my tires after a trail run in less than 10 minutes.
You and I are in the same boat. I did the hi-line kit on my front and there is zero room under the hood (removed windshield washer tank, relocated entire evap system, battery relocated, and removed air box). I may have some room on the firewall but not much which is why I planned to mount it in the rear as well. Got any pics once it was mounted?

mudcrwsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #17
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcrwsr View Post
You and I are in the same boat. I did the hi-line kit on my front and there is zero room under the hood (removed windshield washer tank, relocated entire evap system, battery relocated, and removed air box). I may have some room on the firewall but not much which is why I planned to mount it in the rear as well. Got any pics once it was mounted?
the second pic is from WAAAAAY back when. When I first installed it.
33s.jpg  
compressor.jpg

Unread 08-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #18
AdamLC
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradUSMC View Post
How long does it take to fill up tires and what size tires?
2:30 from 11 to 25 psi tire is a 35x12.5x15
AdamLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #19
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLC View Post
2:30 from 11 to 25 psi tire is a 35x12.5x15
I'm sold. I want one. Keep me updated with the tank install. Btw what else can this run?

Live Free,
Brad
bbradUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Smitty has two different portables available. The #2780 2.54 CFM/ 72 LPM. About the same size and specs as most the portables out there.

The #2781 5.65 CFM/ 160 LPM. This is the one I have. It is way faster than my other portable at filling up my 35" tires. It is faster than my buddy's Warn Powerplant compressor, and almost as fast as other club member's OBA systems. The thing that slows me down is setting it up, and tearing it back down after it cools off. It was free so what the heck. Going to hard mount it somewhere.
It's big compared to my other compressor as shown in the pic below. So it's going to have to go on the rear fender well somewhere like Tblack's. I like it.

TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #21
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I did it. I'm a little late to the thread though.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/d...17/?highlight=
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #22
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I am waiting for my cousin to pick out his air compressor. Since his charcoal canister is mounted in the back, there is room for it under the hood. We are mounting it on the drivers side and will be mounting a standard female end to the aluminum plate on his metalcloak fender and putting the switch inside the vehicle. So all you do is plug your standard air hose into the side of the jeep and throw the switch. Should be pretty shnazzy!
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #23
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have however forgot to mention one thing. The smittybilt is not a very stealthy machine. You will wake up the forest when you flip the switch. The air filter does dull the noise a little bit when it is on, but it works much faster with the filter off.
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #24
mudcrwsr
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys great info. Glad to see others have pulled this off I'm going to hook it up and post some pics once I get mine installed.
mudcrwsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #25
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am waiting for my cousin to pick out his air compressor. Since his charcoal canister is mounted in the back, there is room for it under the hood. We are mounting it on the drivers side and will be mounting a standard female end to the aluminum plate on his metalcloak fender and putting the switch inside the vehicle. So all you do is plug your standard air hose into the side of the jeep and throw the switch. Should be pretty shnazzy!
Kind of like this?

Unread 08-24-2013, 02:11 AM   #26
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Kind of like this?

Holy crap, here I am thinking I am a pioneer, but you sir are a genius.
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #27
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Consider running air lines and having QDs at multiple spots on the jeep. For my OBA (York 210) I put a QD in the lower right corner of the grill to handle anything to the front and a QD inside the jeep at the base of the C pillar to handle things to the rear.
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #28
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Consider running air lines and having QDs at multiple spots on the jeep. For my OBA (York 210) I put a QD in the lower right corner of the grill to handle anything to the front and a QD inside the jeep at the base of the C pillar to handle things to the rear.
Where did you pick up your york?

Live Free,
Brad
bbradUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #29
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Everybody puts a tank into their system (myself included) because thats how they've seen others set up. Unless the tank is much larger than is usually convenient for a TJ this is exactly what happens.
I hard wired a Viar 450 portable 100% duty cycle and I have thought about adding a tank too. What is the difference btw this setup and other setups with a tank?
purplepig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #30
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Holy crap, here I am thinking I am a pioneer, but you sir are a genius.
Great minds think alike.

It is a little exposed with the comp rails but quite protected when I run my 6" flares in the winter.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.