JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/)
-   -   Converting a portable smittybuilt compressor to onboard air (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/converting-portable-smittybuilt-compressor-onboard-air-1565566/)

mudcrwsr 08-22-2013 06:53 AM

Converting a portable smittybuilt compressor to onboard air

hey guys I had a buddy of mine give me a fairly new smittybuilt portable air compressor (fairly certain it is the 2780 model (2.54 CFM / 72 LPM). This compressor has a on off switch on the housing and cables to connect directly to the battery (battery post clamps). The question I had and I am looking for suggestions on is converting this to a full on board system with a small tank reservoir.

So here is my plan:
In looking at the housing on the compressor I can disassemble / gain access to the switch I would think I can just by pass this run wiring from the compressor to a toggle switch in the dash.
I figure I can do the same with the power cords and chop the connectors of the end and splice in new wire and hard wire it directly to the battery (via an inline fuse).

Once installed I plan to then add a small tank as well as run an air gauge to the dash.

This seems pretty straight forward "in theory" BUT I wanted to get some additional input in case I am overlooking something. I've done stuff like this before with power tools (converting a circular saw into a table saw) but nothing on a vehicle.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

thanks

TJDaveX 08-22-2013 07:09 AM

Subscribed. I won the same larger SB compressor at a jamboree a couple years ago.
It's big, but faster than any other portable I have seen. I am also looking to do the same thing with it.
I

matthew900 08-22-2013 11:42 AM

I'd recommend adding a pressure regulator switch to the tank and put it in line with the switch so the compressor does not over fill the tank. Otherwise the compressor or the tank could go if you forget to turn it off when the tank is full.

mudcrwsr 08-22-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthew900 (Post 15824145)
I'd recommend adding a pressure regulator switch to the tank and put it in line with the switch so the compressor does not over fill the tank. Otherwise the compressor or the tank could go if you forget to turn it off when the tank is full.

Yeah good idea, didn't think of that. For any interested I found a few on Ebay 90/120 psi ranging from $6 - $16. I'm gonna pick one up and test this thing out. I'll post a build thread once I get it together for any interested

link to regulator: http://compare.ebay.com/like/3805773...ypes&var=sbar#

hustler905 08-22-2013 01:09 PM

I made a similar system, and took it back out because it didn't meet my expectations.

I used a(n):
Two head compressor, sounds like what you are talking about, mounted in the engine bay
"Relocated" the switch on the compressor to near where the air hose hooked up, near the front bumper
Hot dog shaped tank that fit under the drivers side passenger floor near the frame rail
Pressure switch
Air line, barbed fittings, etc.

It was a waste of time. Airing up tires meant getting a quick rush of air for about two seconds, then as soon as the air in the tank was gone I was just running off the compressor. Why not save some time and money and just run off the compressor in the first place?

biffgnar 08-22-2013 01:14 PM

22 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hustler905 (Post 15824453)
Airing up tires meant getting a quick rush of air for about two seconds, then as soon as the air in the tank was gone I was just running off the compressor. Why not save some time and money and just run off the compressor in the first place?

:thumbsup: Everybody puts a tank into their system (myself included) because thats how they've seen others set up. Unless the tank is much larger than is usually convenient for a TJ this is exactly what happens.

mudcrwsr 08-22-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hustler905
I made a similar system, and took it back out because it didn't meet my expectations.

I used a(n):
Two head compressor, sounds like what you are talking about, mounted in the engine bay
"Relocated" the switch on the compressor to near where the air hose hooked up, near the front bumper
Hot dog shaped tank that fit under the drivers side passenger floor near the frame rail
Pressure switch
Air line, barbed fittings, etc.

It was a waste of time. Airing up tires meant getting a quick rush of air for about two seconds, then as soon as the air in the tank was gone I was just running off the compressor. Why not save some time and money and just run off the compressor in the first place?

Yeah I thought of that as well. Where my plan is a bit different is I plan to mount the compressor inside the jeep bolted to the top of the rear fender. My intent was to use a tank for other accessories like a rear locker. For airing the tires I would bypass the tank and run directly off the compressor.. You do have me thinking though. Thanks for the input

hustler905 08-22-2013 01:41 PM

I have still been toying with putting the compressor back in, hard mounted somewhere, with a switch and air line hookup outside the engine compartment. That way there's no handling a hot compressor after airing back up, and the compressor is securely mounted in a place where it won't be in the way.

I know your idea was to use the air system for lockers. ARB? The simplest way is to use the ARB harness and switch ...

mudcrwsr 08-22-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hustler905
I have still been toying with putting the compressor back in, hard mounted somewhere, with a switch and air line hookup outside the engine compartment. That way there's no handling a hot compressor after airing back up, and the compressor is securely mounted in a place where it won't be in the way.

I know your idea was to use the air system for lockers. ARB? The simplest way is to use the ARB harness and switch ...

I was thinking I might save a few bones rigging my own on board system up (with a tank) and hooking up the locker. I'm starting to think I may run it straight like you guys are suggesting. And use another compressor for the locker such as the arb.

AdamLC 08-22-2013 03:05 PM

I just hard mounted my MV50 Compressor . It came with alligator clips like yours. I split them to within a foot of the compressor. Kept the one with inline fuse long and snipped the other one to a length where I could ground to a bolt nearby my mounting location. Put a terminal on it then ran the power wire with the fuse to a power source. If you want it switch from inside the vehicle I would run a relay setup. I didn't bother as its under my hood and ill just flip the switch on the compressor when I hook up the air line.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps3b7d6aa4.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...psbb3f5572.jpg

bbradUSMC 08-22-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamLC (Post 15824858)
I just hard mounted my MV50 Compressor . It came with alligator clips like yours. I split them to within a foot of the compressor. Kept the one with inline fuse long and snipped the other one to a length where I could ground to a bolt nearby my mounting location. Put a terminal on it then ran the power wire with the fuse to a power source. If you want it switch from inside the vehicle I would run a relay setup. I didn't bother as its under my hood and ill just flip the switch on the compressor when I hook up the air line.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps3b7d6aa4.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...psbb3f5572.jpg

How long does it take to fill up tires and what size tires?

AdamLC 08-22-2013 03:22 PM

I just finished installing yesterday. Ill air down to 12psi and report back.

jeeprubi2005 08-22-2013 04:05 PM

I have the air ride compressor off of a 80s caddy its slow as hello bust its saved me more than once ill get pics when i get out of work

Tblack 08-22-2013 04:53 PM

I have mine mounted on board, it is the smitty as well that I received as a gift. I have an amplifier that is mounted under the rear seat. I had a leftover splitter (for 2 amplifiers) that came in the wiring kit. I put that in and ran the compressor wires to the splitter as I had to mount the compressor in the back because the charcoal canister is mounted under the hood in my jeep and I also have the manual with the clutch master cylinder in the way. This means everything is already fused and ready to go through the amp wiring. The one thing I don't have is a tank. But this system works great for filling up my tires after a trail run in less than 10 minutes.

bbradUSMC 08-22-2013 06:23 PM

sweet I have been wanting to buy one. I think guys are actually moding these to make them more efficeint.

The time now is 11:14 AM.