Convert a standard Warn XD9000i Winch into a 'Multi-Mount' front/rear easy swap winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Convert a standard Warn XD9000i Winch into a 'Multi-Mount' front/rear easy swap winch

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
awalp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Convert a standard Warn XD9000i Winch into a 'Multi-Mount' front/rear easy swap winch

How can I convert my Warn Winch XD9000i into a 'XD9000i Multi-Mount'?

XD9000i
http://www.quadratec.com/products/warn/92106_00_07.htm
XD9000i Multi Mount
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92113_00_07.htm
Multi Mount Winch Frame (For Rear Hitch Mounting)
http://www.quadratec.com/products/72006_0X_PG.htm

Current Front Bumper & Winch

Current Rear Bumper & Winch

The new 'Multi mount' version of the XD9000i, is advertised to have the capability of swapping from the front to the rear.

The 'Multi mount Winch Frame', seems to be the only difference between the Winches, and can be bought separately.

With an XD9000i installed in a new multi mount frame, it could easily be installed on the rear hitch in any needed event.

My question is how would the Winch in the 'Multi Mount Frame' be mounted the rest of the time, on the front bumper.

Is there a quick release system for the front winch, compatible with the rear hitch multi-mount frame?

---------

As far I understand, but I may be wrong, that the XD9000i Multi Mount, is designed to be mounted on a front hitch which a Jeep Wrangler doesn't have, or does it?

---------

Summary: How can an XD9000i Winch be setup with a quick release front mount for a rear hitch mounted winch frame use?

The idea of running a winch cable under the vehicle for rear pulls, especially the part where the cable would be taking a 180 degree turn on a bare frame, doesn't seem like a smart idea, so if I want to purposefully engage in terrain that may require a rear pull, I need to be able to swap the winch.

--------

Final Thought... Some sort of winch cable 'snatch box', for routing the cable under the rear bumper and under the vehicle safely, may be an easier solution.
- As the idea of a 'quick release' system, capable of holding a 9000lbs possible load, either than a hitch, a functional design I've yet to come upon.

awalp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If I understand what you're asking correctly...

That mount is intended to be used in a hitch receiver. As far as I know there is no "quick" way to remove the winch from that tray. In order for it to be a "multi-mount" you will indeed need to have a front hitch, which will require fabrication, or a new front bumper.

4 linked DD on coilovers
Brian86992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Where are you going to find a receiver hitch that is rated even close to the 9,000 lbs. your winch is capable of pulling? Using a receiver mount for a winch to recover a vehicle that has slid off the road into a small snow bank is way different than using it for offroad recoveries that can tax even a 9,000 lb. capacity winch. Few receiver hitches that can be mounted onto a TJ are rated for anything more than about 3,500 lbs. and most are 2,000 lbs.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 02:24 AM   #4
freedommachine
1930 XK Commander 

I have always wanted to see what would happen with a receiver mounted winch if some part of the set up holdindg the winch plate was to fail either the pin or receiver itself. I wonder if the operator didnt let off the IN button how far the winch would go dragging the battery by the electric cables into if not out of the hood. I know it would never happen I just have this picture in my head of the winch going along pulling the battery behind it.
freedommachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Where are you going to find a receiver hitch that is rated even close to the 9,000 lbs. your winch is capable of pulling? Using a receiver mount for a winch to recover a vehicle that has slid off the road into a small snow bank is way different than using it for offroad recoveries that can tax even a 9,000 lb. capacity winch. Few receiver hitches that can be mounted onto a TJ are rated for anything more than about 3,500 lbs. and most are 2,000 lbs.

9.000lbs, what if you use a pulley? Depending only how it is rigged you may have to handle up to 18,000lbs.

Mount the winch like it should be mounted and wheel with a buddy.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
9.000lbs, what if you use a pulley? Depending only how it is rigged you may have to handle up to 18,000lbs...
Nope. No matter how you rig the line your winch won't put more of a load on the mount than the winch is capable of pulling. The winch will stall out when it reaches its max capacity.
Unread 03-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Nope. No matter how you rig the line your winch won't put more of a load on the mount than the winch is capable of pulling. The winch will stall out when it reaches its max capacity.
I suppose the pulley would be taking the load. Didn't think about that. I still don't think it is a good way to mount a winch.

Unread 03-29-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...I still don't think it is a good way to mount a winch.
I agree.

I've got two major problems with the hitch mounted winch system:
- You can't reasonably leave the winch mounted in either position. It will totally hose your approach/departure angles. This means you have to remove it and store it somewhere when not in use. You can't just toss it in the back of the rig and hope it stays where you put it. Unless properly secured it will become a hell of a flying heavy blunt object that is in search for your head in the event of a rollover or crash. The back of a rig already has limited storage space and now you have to use up more of that space to store a winch & mount.

- Have you noticed that when you are in need of the winch you are seldom on smooth, level ground? You will have to lug the winch through rocks, mud, roots, ... to get it to the end of the rig that you need to mount it on. Once you've got the winch to the end of the rig, are you going to have the necessary clearance to get it mounted in the hitch?
Unread 03-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
Cards81fan
2005 KJ Liberty 

Jerry,

Also understand that the hitch is rated for the maximum the vehicle can safely tow, which includes the wheelbase, engine power, braking, etc...

So while the hitch may or may not stand up to 9k, it almost certainly will stand up to more than it is rated to tow. But how much more is the question
Unread 03-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards81fan View Post
Jerry,

Also understand that the hitch is rated for the maximum the vehicle can safely tow, which includes the wheelbase, engine power, braking, etc...

So while the hitch may or may not stand up to 9k, it almost certainly will stand up to more than it is rated to tow. But how much more is the question
A trailer may weigh 3500 lbs and the vehicle and hitch may handle towing that weight with no problem. However, the hitch is not pulling 3500 pounds. The towed weight experienced by the hitch is far less than the weight of the trailer. The only way the hitch would experience the full 3500 pounds of the trailer would be if it was climbing straight up a wall. The towed weight felt by a hitch with a 3500 pound trailer is just a few hundred pounds. Go out to the parking lot, put your vehicle in neutral, release the parking brake, and push. I can push my F250 by hand and it weighs about 7000 pounds empty. I woundn't want to have to push it very far, but I can push it.

On the other hand, if you are attempting to recover a vehicle stuck in mud or rocks, the weight experienced by the winch, line, and mounting system can easily be several times the real weight of the vehicle.
Unread 03-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Jerry,

Are you guaranteeing that to be the case when doing an off-angle winching session which is common when offroading? Receiver hitches have a lot of leverage against the receiver tubes and they really aren't designed with the significant side loads in mind that a winch can easily exert.

And X2 on what MDM said above. I was going to include that until I noticed MDM had already added that pertinent information. The rolling weight of a trailer and its side loads the receiver hitch is designed to handle are insignificant when compared to the loads a winch can exert against its mount.

Unread 03-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #12
Cards81fan
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Are you guaranteeing that to be the case when doing an off-angle winching session which is common when offroading? Receiver hitches have a lot of leverage against the receiver tubes and they really aren't designed with the significant side loads in mind that a winch can easily exert.

And X2 on what MDM said above. I was going to include that until I noticed MDM had already added that pertinent information. The rolling weight of a trailer and its side loads the receiver hitch is designed to handle are insignificant when compared to the loads a winch can exert against its mount.

Oh I am not guaranteeing anything. But the hitch-type mounts work. I have seen them work. Would I use one on a trailered rock racing-style buggy? Nope. But would they work for the average person who loses their traction and slides a bit off-kilter on a trail, or gets stuck in a bit of mud? Sure.

It's all about calculating one's intended use, and finding the best product to meet that use
Unread 03-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh I am not guaranteeing anything. But the hitch-type mounts work. I have seen them work. Would I use one on a trailered rock racing-style buggy? Nope. But would they work for the average person who loses their traction and slides a bit off-kilter on a trail, or gets stuck in a bit of mud? Sure.

It's all about calculating one's intended use, and finding the best product to meet that use

It is the unintended situation that you need to make sure you are prepared for. A hitch mounted receiver is may be fine for a simple straight pull. Poop happens when you wheel, not everything is simple and straight forward.

Unread 03-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It is the unintended situation that you need to make sure you are prepared for. A hitch mounted receiver is may be fine for a simple straight pull. Poop happens when you wheel, not everything is simple and straight forward.
X2, that was better said than how I worded mine where I was thinking the same thing.

Unread 03-31-2011, 09:12 AM   #15
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

I've got a front receiver on my GC, bought it so I could use my old M8000 off of my truck when I stepped into a steal on an XD9000i.

Heaviest thing I've used it for on the front of the Jeep was to pull golf cart out of a canal it slid into, a good 14' drop-off into some thick mud, but obviously not much of a tester. So I can't speak from personal experience. I will say that I inquired from Warn what the rating was on the front receiver hitch before I bought it and the model for a WJ is rated for 9000# ROLLING weight. Dunno how this translates to STUCK weight.

I do know a guy who is in my hunting club who owns a Ford F250 PowerStroke, heavy truck, lifted, riding on 37" tires who has a Mile Marker 12,000 lb. winch mounted on a portable mount and connected to a front receiver hitch. I dunno why he chose this over a permanent mount, but he works for a lumber company as a buyer/field foreman and has had that truck stuck DEEP and has never had a problem with the mount.

Again, I have no clue as to the specs of a receiver hitch for a full size diesel pickup vs. a Jeep Wrangler, and I'm not touting that it will work for you in an extreme situation. Just passing on what I use and what I have seen used.

As far as "converting" the perm. mount winch to a portable, about your only concern once you bolt the winch to the mount is making the wires so you can quick connect/disconnect them so you don't have to mess with popping the hood and having a wrench for the battery terminals.
All I did was run the cable (without actually connecting it to the battery) and find where I wanted the splice to be and cut them. I chose a set of "twist type" quick connects from a local welding supply house rather than the "push type" you see sold by Warn.
The push type are a bit less cumbersome, but Warn wanted something like $65 for the stupid thing and you'd need to solder them. The twist types connect by a pressure screw so all you need is a screwdriver, they are a bit more secure as you twist them a 1/4 turn to lock them and the biggie was they were $9.95 each (need two)...

I just tuck back the connectors behind the grill when not in use, but here's a pic of them pulled out:

and with the winch mounted:

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.