Connecting winch to the battery - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Connecting winch to the battery

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 08-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
w9kh_kevin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Connecting winch to the battery

I have top posts on my battery, which the Jeep connects to (TJ). How do people typically connect their winch wiring to the battery? The wiring off the winch has the ring terminals on it and there is really no *good* way of connecting that to the battery.

w9kh_kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
RARECJ8

always hook up the + and - terminal wires directly to the battery. I use these military style connectors and do the trick nicely. Avoid side terminals as these are for starting only and do not like the heavy amp draw of the winch.

I thought all Extra class operators know that... just kidding.

mb

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Happypappy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Have never heard that you should not connect to the side posts on a side post equipped battery. Can you back up that statement by chance? Would be interested to know. Not being combative here just need back up on that if possible. A few of my OEMs use Odyssey batteries and from your statement I will be checking with the Odyssey rep. to verify also.
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
xWhite420wIDOWx
1967 CJ5 

Huh, I never heard you couldn't use side posts either.
xWhite420wIDOWx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
Douglas S.

You can use them, just not recommended for a winch.
Unread 08-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I've talked at length with a few battery manufaturers about this very topic (Exide, Interstate, Orbital,) and they all agree that winches should go right to the top posts.

You've noted the problem with that thinking, WRT OEM cables.

This is why all WiP cables (one of the reasons, anyhow) are terminated with ring lugs - and then you are able to use marine-style, military-style, or universal (flat)-style clamps to attach cables to the battery itself. That's the best thing I can suggest - reterminate the OEM leads with ring lugs (they should be 8AWG - the very upper limit of what can easily be done with hand tools anyhow) and convert to a binding post-style battery clamps.

Attaching winch leads to side posts was very much not recommended - the side posts (in batteries so equipped) are generally good for 75-80A constant draw, 150-160A very intermittently, and winch loads can melt the pads right out of the case (at 300-700A for a full pull, depending on winch model and load.) This is from conversations that included Ramsey and Warn - and they had side posts melt right out of the case in testing (with the battery in free air. Underhood will generally increase ambient temperatures by 30-40*F, and that's going with a mild to moderate reduction.)

Retermination and conversion of attachment is the best advice I can offer you offhand. Replacing battery cables outright (going to a larger size) isn't a bad idea - but may not be strictly necessary, unless you've uprated other components of your electrical system as well. If you want to go with that option, click the link in my sig to find out more (if I don't have a listing for your vehicle, that's because no-one has ordered cables for it yet and confirmed fitment. It can certainly be done - I just need the measurements to make it all work, and they're easy enough to get.)
Unread 08-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happypappy View Post
Have never heard that you should not connect to the side posts on a side post equipped battery. Can you back up that statement by chance? Would be interested to know. Not being combative here just need back up on that if possible. A few of my OEMs use Odyssey batteries and from your statement I will be checking with the Odyssey rep. to verify also.
I'll go look, but Optima tec page use to clearly state that you should not connect a winch to side post....... IIRC, it would void the battery warranty.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/produ.../faqs.php#misc

Quote from page listed above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optima batteries dot com
Side Terminals – OPTIMA 34/78, D34/78, 75/25 and D75/25 batteries have both top and side terminals. If you are using one of these batteries in a vehicle that uses the top terminals, it is important to ensure that the side terminals can not come into contact with anything metallic (for example, the firewall or fender well), thereby causing a short. We suggest keeping the post protectors on the terminals you are not using. Do not connect a winch to the side terminals.

Last edited by little_Jeep; 08-21-2009 at 12:50 PM..
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
RARECJ8

here is the missing link. these are the battery lugs i use on all my vehicles.

Military top post battery terminals, clamps, connectors for batteries

The side post can still be used, but i only use them for starting the motor, etc. all accessories, winch, etc use the top posts. Something about the side terminals are not as strong to handle the heavy draw of a winch.

I also upgraded all the + and - cables from winch, solenoids, etc w/ 1 GA welding wire--red for + and black for -. One may easily obtain the proper end lugs and most welding supply shops sell a nifty tool that firmly clamps on the terminal. Secure the lug and wire into the tool, then hit it with a BFG. For added security, hit it with solder then either red or black shrink tube.

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
Happypappy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Turns out your statement may be true.......for some batteries.
Here is what I got back from Odyssey batteries after an inquiry to them on this issue. Below is the reply from Odssey.

Good Morning Casey,

Thank you for your inquiry. No, there is no reason why you cannot use the side posts of your ODYSSEY battery for your winch. They are made of tin plated brass and are rated at the same capacity as the top mount terminals. Most of the competitors have lead straps to their side terminals tend to melt when they get hot. With brass straps, we do not have that issue.

Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Please have a wonderful day!

Kathy Mitchell
ODYSSEY Sales Coordinator
Phone: 660-429-7551
Toll Free: 888-422-0317
Fax: 660-429-1758
Email: kathy.mitchell@enersys.com
Web site: ODYSSEY Batteries - Official Manufacturer's Site
Corp site: EnerSys Home

Guess the lesson here is to check with your battery manufacturer and use their information accordingly. I own an Odyssey and will be attaching mine to the side terminals.
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Unread 08-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's another reason I love my new Diehard Platinum battery, it's made for Sears by Odyssey and its side posts are up to a winch. This is the first battery (previous batteries were all Optimas) I've owned where connecting my winch didn't require extra work (short jumper cables between the top and side posts to carry the load) to make sure the winch wouldn't melt the side connections.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
Happypappy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Too true, Jerry! Thats why I picked the Odssey as well. Where I hunt in 'Bama is 18 miles to the nearest town, something to think about and plan for when forced to hunt alone on occasion. May see two cars an hour for the first 7 miles once you finally get out of the woods to a paved road.
About a year ago we did some testing of different batteries on some of the larger yachts of one manufacturer (40' and up) for cranking batteries for our diesel product. Trying to get rid of the 8D batteries in favor of group 31 style. The same batteries went into an instrumented bench test program to supply power to an electric on-board grill in the cocpit area and they bench tested several manufacturers. These grills are much safer but consume massive amounts of power and can easily kill a single group 31 battery in around two hours on high. The Odyssey was the only battery that not only met its rated numbers but surpassed them.
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Unread 08-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #12
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Optima Blue Top ...... that's all I gotta say !
Unread 08-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezer View Post
Optima Blue Top ...... that's all I gotta say !
After two Yellow Tops and one Blue Top in 8 years, I'm done with Optima. Heaven only knows how many times over the years I talked about how good Optima batteries were but no more. My last Blue Top was less than 3 years old when it died about two months ago. Optima talks a good game but I don't think they're nearly as good now as they used to be.

Unread 08-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #14
XJohnnyC

I've had two Red Tops and a Yellow Top, and I don't think I'd ever get another Optima either. They cost way too much and don't last that long.

And the claim that you can mount them on their sides is not true. The gel started to leak out of my last Red Top.

I have an Odyssey 1200 now, but only because I got it brand new for $50.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJohnnyC View Post
And the claim that you can mount them on their sides is not true. The gel started to leak out of my last Red Top.
While something might have leaked out, it wasn't gel since they are not a gel cell battery like some think they are. They're an AGM (absorbed glass matting) technology battery where the acid is in a paste form that has been soaked into the fiberglass matting. Odyssey batteries use the same AGM technology though in a much denser form-factor with more battery material per square inch and a purer form of lead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.