Comparing Smittybilt vs Warn (winch/compressor) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Comparing Smittybilt vs Warn (winch/compressor)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-25-2009, 05:31 AM   #1
Siphon
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Comparing Smittybilt vs Warn (winch/compressor)

I have an '05 Rubicon and will be installing a winch when I return from this deployment. I've been looking for reviews on both the Smittybilt and Warn winch/compressor (links below). I'm a novice when it comes to these as I bought my jeep only a year ago. Is there a significant performance difference between these two? They appear to be very similar, although the smittybilt appears to slightly outperform the warn in both weight and compressor ability. Aside from the price, are there any other factors that I need to consider, or research to clarify the difference?

Smittybilt - http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=42406

Warn - http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=40111

Siphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Warn is Warn, great quality that you pay a high price for. Smittybilt is a Chinese company which explains the prices, I'm not too bothered personally, but you do pay a bit in quality. The Smittybilt has a lower air flow and I think a lower pull rating, and it won't be available til July.
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
tumminello123
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have wondered these questions, also. I am considering a winch, but can anyone really justify spending 3X to 4X as much on a WARN winch? They look nice, get good reviews, but holy crap they are expensive.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a cheapskate, but frugal. For example, when I bought my first airplane I paid a little more up front for one that had less hours and a MUCH more reliable engine. So, in some instances that works. But, does it work in the case of Smittybilt VS Warn. I haven't seen anything so horrible on Smittybilt that can justify buying a WARN. Maybe someone can point me to an article that does have bad reviews on the new Smittybilt stuff.
tumminello123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
zillla
1975 CJ5 

You get what you pay for.. I am a firm believer that the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten..
zillla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Smittybilt is a Chinese company
Smittybilt is an American Company. It just sells products which aren't fully made in the USA. Warn products aren't fully made in the USA either.
05 Electric Lime Green LJ with a 4spd Auto, 2.5inch Suspension Lift, OME Shocks, OME Steering Stabilizer, 32inch BFG M/T's on 17inch Moab's using Spidertrax Spacers, UCF Aluminum TC Skid, Novak Cable Shifter, Brown Dog MML, Rokmen 1/2 BL, Banks CAI, Diehard Platinum Marine Battery, JW Speaker 8700 LED Head Lights, Safari Nets, G.E.A.R Overhead Console/G.E.A.R Tailgate Storage, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn Gas Tank Skid, Mopar Rock Crawler Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000i Winch with Warn Wireless Remote, and a Uniden 880 CB Radio
Best4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best4x4 View Post
Smittybilt is an American Company. It just sells products which aren't fully made in the USA. Warn products aren't fully made in the USA either.
Still making those apples to apples comparisons I see.

Here's the problem with your screwed up logic. If the Warn were made in it's entirety in China as the S/B is, the prices would be similar and given Warn's higher buying power, probably cheaper.

S/B may be an American company as you put it, but it's little more than the photocopy division of the same company that owns 4 Wheel Parts.

That aside, for anyone considering any compressor, if they don't give you a flow rate and the pressure it's measured at, the number is useless.

If you look at Warn's numbers, it give the flow rate at 0 psi and at 90 psi. The 90 psi number is close to or approaching what an underhood York system puts out.
Unread 06-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My logic isn't ****ed up. Last time I went to 4Wheel Parts I didn't catch a plane to ****ing China Mrblaine. I corrected the statement Smittybilt is a Chinese Company. Warn and Smittybilt are both US companies and both have products which aren't 100% made in the USA! THE END!

The Warn PowerPlant isn't a bulletproof system and honestly I'd stick with two separate systems for winching and onboard air.
05 Electric Lime Green LJ with a 4spd Auto, 2.5inch Suspension Lift, OME Shocks, OME Steering Stabilizer, 32inch BFG M/T's on 17inch Moab's using Spidertrax Spacers, UCF Aluminum TC Skid, Novak Cable Shifter, Brown Dog MML, Rokmen 1/2 BL, Banks CAI, Diehard Platinum Marine Battery, JW Speaker 8700 LED Head Lights, Safari Nets, G.E.A.R Overhead Console/G.E.A.R Tailgate Storage, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn Gas Tank Skid, Mopar Rock Crawler Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000i Winch with Warn Wireless Remote, and a Uniden 880 CB Radio
Unread 06-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
tumminello123
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What about Ramsey winches. I heard about one called a 9500 UT and looked pretty cool for $950. Is that one any better than any of the rest?

Plus, I saw good reviews on the Chicago Electric 10,000 lb winch too, but yes, I know it's made in China. They don't make just crap anymore.
Unread 06-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best4x4 View Post
Good grief. Smittybilt is a barely American company (is ANYTHING they sell made in American anymore? ) reselling a rebadged Chinese winch 100% made in China from 100% Chinese parts. Warn makes their winch 100% in America with 100% American labor with a very high quality Bosch motor imported from Brazil. I think the remote switch they use may be imported but BFD. Comparing a Chinese built winch to a Warn manufacturered in Oregon by AMERICAN labor that may a few imported parts is frigging apples and oranges. Even Warn's solenoids are still made in America, the other brands long ago went to cheaper imported solenoids from Mexico or China.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
tumminello123
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Don't always think America makes the best stuff. I lived in Japan for 6 years and THEY OWN US for reliability in virtually everything. Their cars are better and more reliable after 3 years of ownership (do not even attempt to argue this. Initial quality means ZERO), their electronics are better....period, their motorcycles are more reliable, their telecommunications are better (the average internet download is 80 MBps vs our 10MBps), so if we can get a Japanese winch it seems like we'd all be better off. The country is totally automated and far more reliable. The Chinese are closing the gap, so don't knock them. In 10 years they might be where the Japanese are. Look what has happened with Korean car companies. They were junk (Hyundai and Kia), but in 10 years they have passed every single American company except for Cadillac in initial quality and passed ALL American companies in 3 year reliability reports.

We do make better guitars, that has to count for something.

So, don't knock the Chinese stuff. They may be better already and just not have the advertising and previous positive history for people to see that.
Unread 06-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The fact remains it still is an American Company

Quote:
I think the remote switch they use may be imported but BFD
There is no "maybe" about it Jerry. Warn's wired winch controllers are "Made In China" and I have the freaking box to prove it. Also last I checked what good is a winch if the remote is crap Jerry? That makes your "BFD" a huge deal if you're out in the middle of no where and your Warn "Chinese" made wired remote craps out on you. I have one main Warn wired remote, a spare wired remote, and my Warn wireless remote. I'd rather be prepared like a Boy Scout vs going around with the big "W" ego that my **** doesn't stink and it will never break, because that's a very dumb attitude to have IMHO.

Last edited by Best4x4; 06-27-2009 at 03:36 PM..
Unread 06-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #12
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You always frigging crack me up Best4x4, you cannot have it both ways. And what does where Smittybilt's corporate office is physically located have to do with anything? Since its winches and its other products are now all made in China, it's nothing more than an import company like Harbor Freight Tools is. Smittybilt USED to manufacture some products in the US but they now import everything from China. They may HQ'd in the US but that's a mere technicality since 100% of their products are now manufactured in China.

That you are now trying to make a big deal out of Warn's remote control is a joke. The winch is manufactured in the US by Americans with nothing more in the winch itself being imported other than its very high quality Bosch motor. You can cry and scream and throw a tantrum all you want about the Warn remote switch being made in China but it just makes me laugh at you for trying to turn that into an issue that has nothing to do with the quality of the winch itself. Get over the fact that Smittybilt's winches are manufactured in China and Warn's winches are not.

I'd rather have a Warn winch made with 98% American made parts and 98% American labor than a Smittybilt winch with 100% Chinese parts and 100% Chinese labor.

Unread 06-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #13
tumminello123
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a question. If it is designed in America, why does it matter where it is made? In theory it should still be considered American. Here is why it matters:

Example: A Honda Accord built in Japan has 1/2 the number of defects of the same Honda Accord built in the U.S..

That tells me the U.S. has shoddy workmanship compared to Asia (Japan in particular). Most Asian countries build superior products to ours and China gets better daily.

The American do or die spirit exists, but THEY have it.
Unread 06-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #14
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Trust me I'm not crying here. Just after all the buy American talk, and how the XRC8 is crap, I find it hilarious that the big "W" choose to have their remotes made in China. If the quality of China products is so bad why in the world would the big "W" compromise their name with a crappy remote. Yes the remote is probably the cheapest part of the winch besides the roller fairlead, but a winch without a working remote is about as useful as an A-10 Warthog flying around with no ammo. I've also seen at least 2 people out on the trail while I had my XRC8 that had their Warn wired remotes crap out on them. Lucky for them there was another person with a remote handy.

I had my XRC8 an entire year, used it plenty of times, never had a failure, and my Chinese made XRC8 had a rather nice blue lit remote which was handy in the dark. The first Gen XRC8 I had did pull slow, but it never failed, the remote never broke, the Mexican/Chinese solenoids never went out, and Smittybilt backed their product and quickly sent me replacement bolts when mine started to rust.

I now have a Warn XD9000i and the original remote was DOA. I ordered a new one and while I was at it I bought the wireless setup. The winch is much much faster, but the finish over the solenoid pack is falling off, and it draws a lot more amps vs the XRC8. I'm glad I have a Warn winch now, but I honestly can't stand here and say that the XRC8 was a total POS and that it left me stranded.
Unread 06-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #15
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumminello123 View Post
I have a question. If it is designed in America, why does it matter where it is made? In theory it should still be considered American.
If you think Smittybilt designs their winches in America with American engineers and merely has them manufactured in China, I have a bridge for sale you may be interested in. About the only input Smittybilt has on their line of Chinese manufactured winches is how much they'll pay for them which affects choices like whether the motors are series wound vs. permanent magnet, and a bit about their exterior styling and what their logo needs to look like. Make no mistake about it, Smittybilt's winches are designed, engineered, and manufactured in China.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.