Commander or H3 (comfort question) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Commander or H3 (comfort question)

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-27-2013, 04:12 AM   #1
Delirious

Commander or H3 (comfort question)

I'm considering purchasing either as my daily driver and light trail rig.

Unfortunately I have not been in or around either of them haha.

Simple question, which vehicle has the greatest distance between the top of the seat and the floor?

Im not a huge person only (6') but I prefer to sit more upright rather than spread out like in a small car. A back injury has made it quite uncomfortable for me to sit with my knees higher than my hips for very long.

My current vehicle is a 2003 dodge Dakota with corbeau seats and a custom bracket that puts them roughly 2" higher than stock seats, even that is uncomfortable...

Also, obviously why I came here... What vehicle would you say is a better platform to start an overland build with?

Honestly I'm leaning towards the hummer due to the large wheel wells and ability to maintain a lower cog with larger tires. But the seat thing REALLY is an issue for me.

Thanks
Del

Delirious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You'd be more likely to get an answer in the commander section. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/

There is no love for the hummer on this forum, the H3 is considered the worst of them, but that is based on it's off-road ability. I've had back surgery and long drives are painful, i use a small memory foam pillow to change things up while driving. sometimes I sit on it to raise my hips other times in the lumbar area.

My new 4dr JK Wrangler with heated leather seats is not bad. I'm 6.1"

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

i test drove a commander when i was considering a trade in for my 07 chrysler 300. there is nothing about that vehicle that i liked... nothing. i'm 6'5" and about 230lbs.

i have never driven any of the hummers but my ding dong isn't 3" long so i don't need something like an h3 to compensate for in that department.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
NIUPonyBoy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Neither.

Having owned an H3 there was nothing ****tier.
-'07 Mineral Gray Ford Mustang GT Convertible
-'05 Silver Dodge Ram2500 PowerWagon Hemi 4x4
-'05 Silver Ford Freestar SEL Handicapped
NIUPonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Xtreme4X4 did a nice excursion setup with an older Jeep Grand Chero.
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
switters88

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
I'm considering purchasing either as my daily driver and light trail rig.

Unfortunately I have not been in or around either of them haha.

Simple question, which vehicle has the greatest distance between the top of the seat and the floor?

Im not a huge person only (6') but I prefer to sit more upright rather than spread out like in a small car. A back injury has made it quite uncomfortable for me to sit with my knees higher than my hips for very long.

My current vehicle is a 2003 dodge Dakota with corbeau seats and a custom bracket that puts them roughly 2" higher than stock seats, even that is uncomfortable...

Also, obviously why I came here... What vehicle would you say is a better platform to start an overland build with?

Honestly I'm leaning towards the hummer due to the large wheel wells and ability to maintain a lower cog with larger tires. But the seat thing REALLY is an issue for me.

Thanks
Del
They're both garbage.. Commanders are cool if you don't want to fully commit to a mini van. A Hummer will make you look like a d****ebag.

If you want comfort and the ability to modify for the trail, get a JKU. I'm 6'3" with back issues and have zero issues. However, if d****e baggery is your cup of tea, by all means get a Hummer.
1986 CJ-7 (sold)
switters88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
switters88

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
i test drove a commander when i was considering a trade in for my 07 chrysler 300. there is nothing about that vehicle that i liked... nothing. i'm 6'5" and about 230lbs.

i have never driven any of the hummers but my ding dong isn't 3" long so i don't need something like an h3 to compensate for in that department.
Hahaha!!
1986 CJ-7 (sold)
switters88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

only hummers that i have ever driven had machine guns attached to them and lots of armor with 2" thick windshields.

5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
NIUPonyBoy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Those are High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vechile (HMMWV) euphastmaclly called "hummer" by us in uniform manufactured by AM General. The consumer cars know as Hummer are produced by GM and in true GM form; suck, and hold nothing in common with the military use rigs. Even the GM H1 is vastly different, it has similar body panels but the tuff underneath is different, the H2 is kinda neat but also kinda eh. The H3, like I owned was garbage. I personally thought it looked ok, but it was a steaming pile of ****.
-'07 Mineral Gray Ford Mustang GT Convertible
-'05 Silver Dodge Ram2500 PowerWagon Hemi 4x4
-'05 Silver Ford Freestar SEL Handicapped
NIUPonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIUPonyBoy View Post
Those are High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vechile (HMMWV) euphastmaclly called "hummer" by us in uniform manufactured by AM General. The consumer cars know as Hummer are produced by GM and in true GM form; suck, and hold nothing in common with the military use rigs. Even the GM H1 is vastly different, it has similar body panels but the tuff underneath is different, the H2 is kinda neat but also kinda eh. The H3, like I owned was garbage. I personally thought it looked ok, but it was a steaming pile of ****.
i know the difference. lol. i was being facetious. i was kind of alluding back to the whole manliness thing i had mentioned earlier.

Unread 06-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Commander should have been a Dodge, but they're pretty comfortable and at 6'3" 300lbs I have plenty of room in them which is rare for newer vehicles, and especially newer Jeeps.

As for the H3, we've gotten a few traded in at work and they're garbage. They ride like ****, they're uncomfortable and small on the inside, everything is bulky and plastic, and you can't see a damn thing out of them because the interior paneling is so bulky.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.