CJ7 tub repair? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > CJ7 tub repair?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 06-27-2006, 06:02 AM   #1
rob5059MOD

2007 JK Wrangler 

CJ7 tub repair?

On my CJ7 I have a lot of rot on the drivers side of the tub from the door to the rear corner. My thought was to cut out the rot and replace it with sheet metal, but what is the best way to attach the replacement sheet? Can I use a MIG welder, or should I rivet the sheet in place? How much overlap should I have between the new sheet metal and the existing tub?

Sorry for the really dumb questions, but this side of the Jeep is a little more then some bondo or fiberglass.

Thanks Rob

SOLD 06 Wrangler Unlimited Khaki, Congo Cage, D30 w/Aussie & D44 w/ Limited slip and 3.73 gears, 231HD transfer case with 2LOW and JB Conversions SYE with a Tom Woods DS. LIFT: Full Traction 4" Ultimate lift and JKS BL, Brown Dog MML. SKIDS: Jeep Medic TT and Oil Pan, Warn Gas Tank, and Rusty's Steering Box & Radiator. STEERING: ZJ steering, and PCS Steering Box. Running on 35" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains. And to ruin the look, I added Warn 6" flares to keep it legal.
rob5059MOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
scarface97

Mig, spot welding it in, jumping around alot as to not distort, 1/16 gap at most

[URL="webwheeling.com"]webwheeling.com[/URL]

[B]TJ on Rockwells Club Member #1[/B]
scarface97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
rob5059MOD

2007 JK Wrangler 

Thank you scarface97!! I will give it a shot, I can not make it any worse then what it is.

SOLD 06 Wrangler Unlimited Khaki, Congo Cage, D30 w/Aussie & D44 w/ Limited slip and 3.73 gears, 231HD transfer case with 2LOW and JB Conversions SYE with a Tom Woods DS. LIFT: Full Traction 4" Ultimate lift and JKS BL, Brown Dog MML. SKIDS: Jeep Medic TT and Oil Pan, Warn Gas Tank, and Rusty's Steering Box & Radiator. STEERING: ZJ steering, and PCS Steering Box. Running on 35" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains. And to ruin the look, I added Warn 6" flares to keep it legal.
rob5059MOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2006, 11:02 AM   #4
scarface97

You are right on that, just get the cancer out and work what you can metal wise.

It will add character

[URL="webwheeling.com"]webwheeling.com[/URL]

[B]TJ on Rockwells Club Member #1[/B]
scarface97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
kbazurpe
1973 CJ5 

I could email you some pictures of how I took care of my floor boards. Send me a pm if your interested.
kbazurpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2006, 09:54 PM   #6
brypten

you could rivet it, but I don't think that it would look very good. Weld it with as smooth of a bead as you can get, then grind it smooth. On my CJ5 I covered a lot of the rot (i put penatrol on it first to stop any further rust) with diamond plating The diamond plating I did rivet on though
brypten is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.