Chrysler 8.25 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Chrysler 8.25

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-27-2003, 11:58 AM   #1
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Chrysler 8.25

Well I've got the 8.25 axle and want to know if there is an upgrade, like a super 8.25 or something. I want a full time locker on the rear and I'm not sure if the 8.25 will with stand the force with 32's. If there is such a thing, how much do they noramly go for, and which locker should I use. I was thinking a detriot or something like that.

Matt

Unread 08-29-2003, 10:15 AM   #2
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Matt,
I may not be the one to say this but if I were you I would use an axle that is more readily available, like a Dana (35, 44, 60).
Something that if you have a problem and need parts then you can get the parts easier.

Is this axle installed in your rig already ?

LOL,

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2003, 11:23 AM   #3
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NnF

Matt,
I may not be the one to say this but if I were you I would use an axle that is more readily available, like a Dana (35, 44, 60).
Something that if you have a problem and need parts then you can get the parts easier.

Is this axle installed in your rig already ?

LOL,
Roger that, it's stock. The factory upgrade to the dana 35. I guess that doesn't leave much of a choice other than swaping for a 44 or something.

Matt
Unread 08-29-2003, 11:33 AM   #4
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

Matt, I have the 8.25 as well.... 29 spline version. IMO people really underestimate it's strength... considering how close it is to a d44 in most measurements.

I had my hands on a d44, but considering how much I'd have to rebuild it I decided against it. I also looked at getting a ford 8.8, but I don't like wheel spacers and the 8.8 is 2" narrower. If you can get an XJ/MJ d44 for dirt cheap and it is in working order I'd go with that... but mine needed too much work.

So I built up my "Super 8.25" which also means I have spare shafts should the unforseen occur. My 8.25 was/is in good shape, no brake problems and I know it's straight ... plus it was a lot cheaper to bulk up my 8.25 than work on the d44.

Before finalizing my decision, I called a few drivetrain places (Drivetrain Direct, Randys, west coast) and was pretty much told the same thing by all. The 8.25 with 29 splines would be more than fine with 33s & stock shafts. Heck one tech guy told me he has the 27 spline on his XJ and beats it to death on the rocks with 32s, stock shafts and a locker. So considering the 29 spline is that much stronger I figured I'd be fine with 33s.

Anyway, I dropped Yukon Alloy shafts (Just to be overkill and to have spares ... just in case), Yukon 4.56s and powertrax in mine. I know it's tough and I'm super pleased with it's performance.

Only potential down fall I see to the 8.25 is the c-clip, but with the alloy shafts I don't forsee any problems....

98 XJ

Last edited by LOCKED UP; 08-29-2003 at 11:35 AM..
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2003, 11:49 AM   #5
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

So how do I know if I have 27 or 29 spline. And how much would a super 8.25 cost. Thanks for the info.

Matt
Unread 08-29-2003, 12:13 PM   #6
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

They started the 29 spline version sometime in 96, so your 97 is pretty much guaranteed to have the 29 splines.

I agree with BR but I'd like to even take this a step further and say with alloy shafts you can run 35's and it shouldn't be a problem unless you are particularly hard on it. (any axle can break) And the 8.25 is actually stronger than a D44 in some areas - it has beefier 3" axle tubes where the D44 has 2.75" and the pinion is much thicker than a D44 as well.

The downsides to the 8.25 are the c-clip which shouldn't be a problem if you do a disc conversion (caliper can hold wheel on if axle shaft breaks) or just don't break a shaft in the first place... also the shafts are equal lengths so you only need to carry one spare...

Also there are fewer lockers available for it and you can only gear down to 4.56 ratio.

I'll be doing the same as BR and running 33's on mine with lockers and I'll get alloy shafts for the extra margin of strength and give me spares. Eventually I can see myself running 35's on it also.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2003, 09:32 AM   #7
ralph

EricsXJ -

can you point me in the direction on the disc conversion for the 8.25 !!

Also, lockers for the the 8.25...............thanks!
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2003, 05:13 PM   #8
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Last thought on the subject:

Make sure you have information on all of the parts you want and availability before committing to the project.

See if there is a locker (detroit) and see if axle are available (with the most spline you can get to match the locker).
Check on the prices of all of the parts you want to get and/or plan on in the near future.

I have a had a couple of projects that started low budget and ended up costing way too much.

Luck on the project, hope it works out.

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2003, 02:22 AM   #9
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph
EricsXJ -

can you point me in the direction on the disc conversion for the 8.25 !!

Also, lockers for the the 8.25...............thanks!
Heres one write-up: http://geocities.com/dcpaschal/mitch.html

And heres a link to the TSM kit: http://www.tsmmfg.com/2561.htm

Lockers are a bit limited but I know you can get a Detroit, Auburn, Powertrax, or ARB... might be another one or two(?)

NnF has a good point too.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2003, 11:06 PM   #10
ralph

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a great writeup on the disc brake job.

I've read a good bit over the past year or so on the lockers. Lots of opinions floating around and to some degree it comes down to what you want.

I want to put a York compressor on board. Tired of always hunting air I guess. As a result, I'll probably go with the ARB lockers with the York compressor. With 6-14 tires moving down the road it will be nice to have ready air (seem to alway have a trailer, boat, ATV's, etc).

Thanks again !!!
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.