choosing a u-joint? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > choosing a u-joint?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 01-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
XJCrazyMA
1999 XJ Cherokee 

choosing a u-joint?

So which joints are better the ones you have to grease or not to grease...

3" inch Skyjacker coils and AAL , JKS adj. trac bar, JKS quicker discos, JKS Boomerang shackles, JKS LCAs and UCAs, SYE/CV shaft, JKS Super Nerfs, Aussie locker up front, Crager 397's wrapped in 31x10.50 BF Goodrich A/T's, CSF HD 3-row radiator.
XJCrazyMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
Skyryder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know it they are "better", and maybe I'm old school, but I prefer the ones you can grease, , ,
Black Jeep Society #264
Skyryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Greaseable u-joints are weaker since they have holes drilled through the X.Now greaseable joints like CTM's(higher end u-joints) are far stronger as they have a zerk on each cap and no holes drilled through the X.
Unread 01-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
airframer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'd say greaseables since u can regrease afte a mudding trip
Unread 01-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Modern sealed u-joints like Spicer's which are triple-sealed are stronger and more durable. I'd only consider a greasable if I only did deep soupy mud and had the energy to keep up with its greasing requirements... but I'd still for strength reasons go with a sealed.

I've had a number of aftermarket driveshafts on my Jeeps and stopped using greasable years ago since they are a PITA to keep up with the greasing. Not to mention, again, that sealed u-joints are stronger than greasable when the grease zerk is in the trunion (body).

The only greasable u-joints that may be stronger are the types with grease zerks on each bearing cap so the body doesn't have to be drilled which weakens it. I do run greasable u-joints on my front axle shafts but those u-joints are CTMs which are about $180/pair which are far stronger than any other u-joint.

For normal applications, I'd stick with sealed. All of my u-joints on both driveshafts are sealed Spicers. Both are stronger and more durable upgrades to the OE Spicers the factory installed.

For your XJ, I'd go with Spicer 5-760x for the front axle shafts and Spicer 5-1310x for your driveshafts, both of which are Spicer's latest "triple sealed" models.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
XJCrazyMA
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the input!!
3" inch Skyjacker coils and AAL , JKS adj. trac bar, JKS quicker discos, JKS Boomerang shackles, JKS LCAs and UCAs, SYE/CV shaft, JKS Super Nerfs, Aussie locker up front, Crager 397's wrapped in 31x10.50 BF Goodrich A/T's, CSF HD 3-row radiator.
XJCrazyMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.