Chevy 10 bolt strength - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Chevy 10 bolt strength

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-24-2004, 08:13 PM   #1
Dembones
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Chevy 10 bolt strength

I just checked out this axle in person, noticeably larger than my D35. How would it hold up to selectable locker and a 4-banger that spends most of it's time floored? And how easy would the swap be? I plan on going to 35's and SOA next spring.

37" Claws/teralow/HPD44/Trussed HI9/5:38s/detroits/SOA, shackle reversal on rebuilt waggy and XJ springs.
Blue Jeep Club member 2
Much more info here
Dembones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2004, 08:31 PM   #2
XJeepness

Hey man i heard those rears a no good :
Unread 08-31-2004, 11:20 PM   #3
CSP

Don't believe everything you've heard. Too many people are on the internet passing on rumors without any experience based on what "they've heard".

The 10 bolt is very comparable in strenght to a Dana 44. The ring and pinion are about the same size and so are the axle shafts. The weak spot of the 10 bolt is it is a c-clip design. You should make your own mind up if that's bad for your situation or not. Lots of fullsize pickups run with them and have no problems. I wouldn't run one for the terrain I drive, but they aren't as bad as many pass the word on that they are.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2004, 05:19 AM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Plus, you can get C-clip eliminator kits for 'em too. I just helped my buddy swap a 10 bolt front and 12 bolt rear (from a Chevy 1/2 ton truck) into a YJ. The front axle is a bolt-in.. spring mounts were within a 1/2" of stock YJ. Even found him a Lockright on eBay for $100. So now he's got a rear lockered full width setup that cost next to nothing..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2004, 05:28 AM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Plus, you can get C-clip eliminator kits for 'em too. I just helped my buddy swap a 10 bolt front and 12 bolt rear (from a Chevy 1/2 ton truck) into a YJ. The front axle is a bolt-in.. spring mounts were within a 1/2" of stock YJ. Even found him a Lockright on eBay for $100. So now he's got a rear lockered full width setup that cost next to nothing..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2004, 11:45 PM   #6
Dembones
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies, I've heard the 10-bolt isn't that great but I assumed most of it was myth. The 12-bolt, is it a c-clip? How's the clearance? I read about that swap and it seemed like the way I should go.
37" Claws/teralow/HPD44/Trussed HI9/5:38s/detroits/SOA, shackle reversal on rebuilt waggy and XJ springs.
Blue Jeep Club member 2
Much more info here
Dembones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2004, 10:26 AM   #7
CSP

The 12 bolt is also c-clip. The only GM corporate axle that isn't c-clip is the full floater 14 bolt. Unless you're planning on 38" or larger tires you're better off not even considering that one. The center section hangs down quite low.

The Ford 8.8 from a '95 or newer Exploder is probably your best alternative. It's plenty strong for 35's (8.8" ring gear vs 8.5" for a Dana 44 or 10 bolt), has the same bolt pattern for your wheels, and is about the same width as what you have.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 09:33 PM   #8
gigihurt

If you want the in and outs on which 10 bolt to get check out this site I found.http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/48518/

This should answer any ? you might have about durability and strength.
gigihurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 09:55 PM   #9
Special Ed

BESERK:

what year(s) did the axles come out of?

what should be taken off for the front axle, as far as steering?

also what did u have to do to make the rear work? (reweld perches?)

5.5" of lift/ the "no fender mod"/ Rhino Lined tub & flares/ RE SYE w/ Tom Woods shaft/Plenty of mods to come![/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]Need 2.5L parts? Email me Pimpinatspiveys@aol.com[/COLOR]
Special Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2004, 01:36 PM   #10
FlexyTJ

A 10 bolt might make a good front axle... They are not as strong as a d44, it is the bottom of the line GM axle. It also depends if you are talking the 7.5" or 8.5" ring gear version. The latter is marginally stronger. My buddies that run GM hot rods talk smack about the 10 bolt all day, and rightfully so, I have first hand seen the carnage of snapped axles, broken ring gear teeth, broken carrier assemblies! firsthand and most of this stuff happened on the street, not the track. a 12 bolt would be the minimum I would consider if you are trying to "upgrade". It is widely known among the Camaro/Mustang crowd that the stock Ford 8.8 that comes in Mustangs is MUCH stronger than the 10 bolts that came in the Camaro's.
Unread 08-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #11
Consaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexyTJ View Post
A 10 bolt might make a good front axle... They are not as strong as a d44, it is the bottom of the line GM axle. .
I really wish you guys would make up your minds. I realize this is an old thread but people still read it. Most people say the D44 front axle is weaker than the 10 bolt front.
As for the rear, well I had a 10 bolt in the rear of my van that got over 220k miles on it with no trouble at all. original oil too.
Now soon as I upgrade the 6.2 to a built 6.5 and double the HP and torq and replace the transmission with a 4L80E, yeah the 10 bolt rear started going out every other year or so.
In short they work great till you start doing stuff with them that the manufacturer never designed them for. Now i got a 14 bolt in the back and a 8lug 10bolt in the front. No real upgrades on the 10 bolt(from an '88 sub) other then a tracklock? posi device. Works real good for a 7k lb rig.
Consaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
stavi
2004 WJ 

Well I was a full size chevy guy. I had ten bolts in my shortwide. 35 inch muddies. 300 horses and 400lb ft. 4.11s. Had an eaton posi trac ls. I railed the piss out of that truck. Both street and off road. i personally never had an issue. Maybe I was lucky? I wanted to upgrade, but didnt need to. You make the call. 4cyls and a lighter rig? Id say go for it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.