Cherokee vs Bronco and the unibody - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Cherokee vs Bronco and the unibody

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
tanner775

Cherokee vs Bronco and the unibody

Hello;

I'm a new addition to the offroad, jeep community and I have a 2001 WJ and its got all the basics to go wheeling (4" IRO lift, MX-6 shocks and upgraded sway bars. 32" BFG All Terrains on 17" wheels with the stock straight axle and gears) but family/friends all have custom built Broncos with unimogs, Dana 44s, lifted 7"+, etc... and they all tell me to get rid of the cherokee and get a bronco because cherokeees' are primarily unibody and cost too much to convert to full frame. Is this something every jeep owner worries about when they go flexing or wheeling? I plan to upgrade my axle and gears, but I was wondering if its even worth it now if I want to keep up and not twist my body.

tanner775 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
nicexj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'd simply strengthen the unibody frame if you are really worried about it.

2001 XJ 3" Rusty's aal, 31x10.5 Good Year Authorities Powertrax No slip Locker in the rear
nicexj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
JFcavedweller

1999 TJ Wrangler 

you're not gonna twist up a cherokee unless you roll it or take the hatch off. don't worry about it.
Unread 05-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
HaViiK
2001 WJ 

If you ask me your friends don't know much about Jeeps anyways...So I wouldn't listen to them if they talk about Jeeps.
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/haviiks-01-wj-slow-build-1067820/"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Black HaViiK:[/COLOR][/URL] [COLOR="DarkRed"]2001 WJ, 4.0, 42re (rebuilt at 100k), 30/35, Rough Country X-Series, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Yakima Megawarrior & Big Powderhound, Grille Guard, KC Daylighter 130w, Custom Sub Box & 2 Kicker 12" CVR
[/COLOR]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/zj-wj-faqs-read-first-contact-mod-changes-additions-591821/"][COLOR="DarkRed"]WJ/ZJ FAQ[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.facebook.com/steven.T.wright"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Facebook. Wheeling stuff in there.[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/Thunderheadrcx?feature=mhee"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Youtube Channel. GoPro/Wheeling stuff[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=rulppa(chat);10944366]whats with people (steve) with those monster sigs. reply is usually like ':E' then 2 pages of signature lol[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Sarahdactyl;11226293]THE WINNER IS REDHOTCHILIDOG!!!!111!!1!!!!(OBNXIOUS HUGE BEEFSTEW STYLE FONT) I will PM winner for details[/QUOTE]
HaViiK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
JFcavedweller

1999 TJ Wrangler 

i see where this is going...
Unread 05-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
HaViiK
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFcavedweller View Post
i see where this is going...
I told you NOT to post that pic.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/haviiks-01-wj-slow-build-1067820/"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Black HaViiK:[/COLOR][/URL] [COLOR="DarkRed"]2001 WJ, 4.0, 42re (rebuilt at 100k), 30/35, Rough Country X-Series, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Yakima Megawarrior & Big Powderhound, Grille Guard, KC Daylighter 130w, Custom Sub Box & 2 Kicker 12" CVR
[/COLOR]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/zj-wj-faqs-read-first-contact-mod-changes-additions-591821/"][COLOR="DarkRed"]WJ/ZJ FAQ[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.facebook.com/steven.T.wright"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Facebook. Wheeling stuff in there.[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/Thunderheadrcx?feature=mhee"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Youtube Channel. GoPro/Wheeling stuff[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=rulppa(chat);10944366]whats with people (steve) with those monster sigs. reply is usually like ':E' then 2 pages of signature lol[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Sarahdactyl;11226293]THE WINNER IS REDHOTCHILIDOG!!!!111!!1!!!!(OBNXIOUS HUGE BEEFSTEW STYLE FONT) I will PM winner for details[/QUOTE]
Unread 05-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
tanner775

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaViiK View Post
If you ask me your friends don't know much about Jeeps anyways...So I wouldn't listen to them if they talk about Jeeps.
I just thought it was something to worry about because I knew someone who had a cherokee and after a day of crawling, he couldn't shut his doors for 2 weeks. haha.
Unread 05-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
HaViiK
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner775 View Post
I just thought it was something to worry about because I knew someone who had a cherokee and after a day of crawling, he couldn't shut his doors for 2 weeks. haha.
Hmm weird. But no the WJ unibody is actually VERY strong. I wheeled doorless a few weeks ago with no issues.
[/COLOR]

Unread 05-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner775 View Post
Hello;

I'm a new addition to the offroad, jeep community and I have a 2001 WJ and its got all the basics to go wheeling (4" IRO lift, MX-6 shocks and upgraded sway bars. 32" BFG All Terrains on 17" wheels with the stock straight axle and gears) but family/friends all have custom built Broncos with unimogs, Dana 44s, lifted 7"+, etc... and they all tell me to get rid of the cherokee and get a bronco because cherokeees' are primarily unibody and cost too much to convert to full frame. Is this something every jeep owner worries about when they go flexing or wheeling? I plan to upgrade my axle and gears, but I was wondering if its even worth it now if I want to keep up and not twist my body.
I would choose a Bronco (solid front axle smaller one) any day, any time, without any hesitation, over a grand or Cherokee to build big for off-road. I wouldn't even need a second to think about it. I know this is a jeep board but, I wouldn't want to build a unibody if I planned on keeping it for an extended period of time or going big.

Now if you are talking about Grand or Cherokee for a moderate build and wanting haul around the family capabilities and not planning on keep it for decades then a Grand or Cherokee could be a good choice.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
tanner775

double post, disregard.
Unread 05-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #11
tanner775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I would choose a Bronco (solid front axle smaller one) any day, any time, without any hesitation, over a grand or Cherokee to build big for off-road. I wouldn't even need a second to think about it. I know this is a jeep board but, I wouldn't want to build a unibody if I planned on keeping it for an extended period of time or going big.

Now if you are talking about Grand or Cherokee for a moderate build and wanting haul around the family capabilities and not planning on keep it for decades then a Grand or Cherokee could be a good choice.
I was afraid of this answer! lol.
Unread 05-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
JFcavedweller

1999 TJ Wrangler 

i guess one would have to ask how big are you building it, and what kind of offroading do you plan on doing? also i hope they are talking about the bronco II (smaller one) not the bronco.
Unread 05-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #13
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFcavedweller View Post
i guess one would have to ask how big are you building it, and what kind of offroading do you plan on doing? also i hope they are talking about the bronco II (smaller one) not the bronco.
This bronco yes:

When they had the twin I beam suspension no for building and dana 44 in a full size bronco might not be a good idea.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

The average life of a Cherokee abused by heavy wheeling seems to range between 1 trip and 2 years before the unibody needs significant straightening/reinforcement or replacement.

You have choices; stick the body on good frame (not expensive or particularly hard to do if you pick the right scrap yard frame (four linking the frame before you stick the body on it is a bit more complex/expensive), make a frame (again you will have to plan the four link setup), replace the body every couple of years, go to a different vehicle that has a frame and a decent suspension (broncos do not have a good stock suspension in my experience) or don't wheel trails where you will beat it to death.

During analysis (over beers) with a Cherokee fan/friend we decided that to do extreme wheeling he would want to;
Frame it,
Install links & coil overs,
Get decent axles (necessary even for very difficult trails) including gears and lockers
Do extensive body mods to enable the use of 40" tires (the current extreme trail standard in this area),
likely install an auto,
probably install an injected v-8,
install an aftermarket transfer case (StaK or Atlas II, alternatively he could try a mad rooster crawl box ahead of a heavy duty transfer case).
Then he would probably want a trailer and a diesel pickup to haul it to the trails.

Note; almost everything except the frame install would have to be done to nearly any vehicle he could select (we did not consider unimogs).

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #15
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

The wj unibody is actually very strong, much stronger than the xjs which could use some reinforcement. I have an xj, and with my front and rear bumpers, belly pan skid, and sliders, ill be just fine, but that doesn't mean ill never do stiffeners.

Don't worry about your jeep, it'll be fine....tell your gay bronco buddies to piss off.

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.