Cherokee or bronco - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Cherokee or bronco

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 05-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
czerbel
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Cherokee or bronco

So I'm debating what to get and I need some help. I either want to get a xj cherokee 97-00 or a ford bronco xlt 1980-86 but was wondering if just that much size difference would hinder the bronco on the rubicon? Either one I get will eventually be on Dana 60s and 37s help me out it would be awesome if some could tell me if they have seen fullsize broncos do the rubicon

czerbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

well the Rubicon after last year was about leveled by the Forrestry. I was lucky enough to be there last year before they leveled the little sluice, the old big sluice, the rock and tree squeeze, moved the rock. few years back the leveled the gate keeper. So Now you can do it on 32" no lockers in a subrban. The thing that was odd was other than that tree squeeze. There was go arounds for everything else. I have seen full size pick ups out there.

The group we ran it with from AZ. There was one Jku that only had 33"s no lockers. he made it no dents, excepting under it. So its not like it was now. If you want a test of your rig, Fordyice short but very hard. Or the Dusy longer than the Con and enough rocks lakes and streams to keep the adventure, though the Dusy has very short season. its at a very high elevation. We are going to the Dusy this year and Fordyice the next, maybe.
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

depends on how much work you want to put into it.

stock for stock, i'll take the XJ any day. but you start upgrading, Give me the bronco. It has one HUGE advantage over XJ, that being it has body on frame construction. when you start wanting to add full size axles and big tires you are talking big mods to the XJ, where as the bronco would be an easier swap to heavier axles with less work needed to do so.

as for fitting, you wheel a full size rig, body damage comes with the territory. will they go where a jeep can? of course, but they collect more battle scars along the way.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
czerbel
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the feedback guys. Ya I've had both and I loved both the xj was 3 link long arm with frame stiffeners non locked 35s been through rubicon by previous owner and the bronco was a tank except it was carborated so it died alot
czerbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.