change and repack bearings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > change and repack bearings

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 10-18-2001, 08:54 PM   #1
mytjnamedrex

change and repack bearings

I have this squeaking noise that is coming from the front end and it has to do with either bearings or brakes. it is worse when cold and is not constant. When i tap the brakes it goes away but will come back. It is come and go all the time but is worse at slow speeds and is gone by sbout 35mph. please help!!

Unread 10-19-2001, 10:36 AM   #2
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The bearing/hub assembly on your front end is unserviceable. You just replace the whole assembly if it fails. Can't help ya on the squeek.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2001, 03:06 PM   #3
mytjnamedrex

my girlfriend has a 99 cherokee and its doin the same thing. She got the bearings redone and it didnt help. What could it be? brakes?
Unread 10-19-2001, 08:44 PM   #4
I-4

not asking this to be an a$$-do you drive like hell?it might be that your brakes are glazed over.or might be a slightly loose brake pad in the caliper.if you drive like hell,might be a warped rotor from an "oh sh*t!" stop.i would lean towards glazed over pads.just my $.02.hth. i found this out the hard way on my first car pretending i was speed racer-had a very similar problem.plus you probably have composite type pads on your jeep,they work better after they warm up a bit-the rr taught me this one.
Unread 10-20-2001, 11:47 AM   #5
mytjnamedrex

well i did have an oh ***** stop a few weeks ago on my way to a trail and then i was on the trail and did water crossings and stuff like that. If the brakes are glazed what can i do? if a pad is lose what can i do? Im pretty sure IF it is a warped rotor that thatll haveta be replaced but im hoping its not that bad. ...to answer your question i drive a lil aggresive but i dont slam on brakes unless i must. I know the one time where a suburban pulled out in front of me on a two lane street when the speed limit was 45 and i had to do a 52-0 stop and ABS clicked in on dry pavement, it was very abrupt. thats the only time and it was the time i mentioned above on my way to the trails. thanx
Unread 10-20-2001, 12:37 PM   #6
I-4

a brake job might help.i did pads and calipers on my 95 yj for about $60.if your rotors are warped,there is a possibility it can be turned(depending how warped they are)shouldn't cost more than $30-$40 to have them turned(if it is even that much)some autozones turn rotors.i would take it to your mechanic and let him turn them.if a pad is loose(shouldn't be unless work has been done on your brakes recently)you can take and bend the retainer back into place.the best bet is to get a haynes or chilton's manual and follow it.hth
the oh sh*t stop gets your rotors really hot,then playing on the trail through water and stuff cools them off really quickly,that could be how your rotors might have gotten warped.
Unread 10-20-2001, 01:22 PM   #7
mytjnamedrex

thanx for the quick reply...im gonna take it and have it looked at hopefully this week.
Unread 10-21-2001, 01:10 PM   #8
I-4

keep me posted about what you find...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.