Champion winches anyone used em? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Champion winches anyone used em?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 05-06-2009, 06:43 AM   #16
mrsig
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have had mine for about 2 years and it works great! Sand, Mud & what ever I have need it for it has not let me down! It has been under water too. The only bad thing it is a bit slower but works great under load...
With winch off.

Winch on front.

Winch on rear.

Winch not in use.

Winch working from front of Jeep

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
mrsig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 06:51 AM   #17
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I hate to nit pick, but you really may want to consider taking a winch safety class..... Neither of you are in a good location, also there is not a weight on the winch line. I could probably find a few other issues if I looked closer.

little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 07:53 AM   #18
wes19d
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Guys I wheel with have Champions and they have worked just fine, with multiple pulls on each of them.
Unread 05-06-2009, 08:01 AM   #19
coldwater
CJ7 

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Wow! I vote you're actually kidding, crazy, or just need a hooker to get the angry buffed out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_crawler View Post
If you are going to throw away money to have a hunk of useless metal on the front end by all means buy the cheapest winch you can find. That being said, why not just buy a winch made for an ATV?? it looks cool unless you know what a winch is really made for.

I would say dont buy one. You really dont need a winch unless you go wheeling up a 4/5 trail solo. I would say dont buy it. I would however go with a t-max, ramsey or warn if you can afford one and it better be atleast a 9,000lbs version or higher or else it is just a waste or time.
Unread 05-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #20
rompinthewoods
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a Champion 7500lb. winch. I've had it for about 5 years and it has held up great. I do not know exactly how many pulls it has, but I would say probably 20 or so off-road and I've also used it in my landscaping work to clear out trees and pull stumps out of the ground. It is a little slow, but it is durable. The only bad thing I can really say is that when I first got it I was pulling some bushes out of the ground with it for an entire day and I think I might have overheated it and it quit working properly. I pulled the motor off and the magnets were cracked. It was still under warranty, so they sent me another motor. That was about 4 years ago and I have since learned how to take care of it. I probably just jinxed myself.
Unread 12-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #21
Scibbyz99WJ
1999 WJ 

revival of the lost thread.

im looking at buying a winch fairly soon. anyone want to add to their posts about the champion 8k.

i found one for about 400 at tractor supply

Closed minds should go hand in hand with closed mouths
Scibbyz99WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #22
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scibbyz99WJ View Post

im looking at buying a winch fairly soon. anyone want to add to their posts about the champion 8k.

I still stand by every word I said in 2009 (post #14). My Champion is S_L_O_W as a snail, but it has been used, abused, and it still keeps on going.
Unread 02-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #23
PatBlackTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_crawler View Post
If you are going to throw away money to have a hunk of useless metal on the front end by all means buy the cheapest winch you can find. That being said, why not just buy a winch made for an ATV?? it looks cool unless you know what a winch is really made for.

I would say dont buy one. You really dont need a winch unless you go wheeling up a 4/5 trail solo. I would say dont buy it. I would however go with a t-max, ramsey or warn if you can afford one and it better be atleast a 9,000lbs version or higher or else it is just a waste or time.
1) I have a champion on the front of my tj, and although people speak badly of them, I've never had an issue. I've used mine for numerous recoveries including myself and others without a hiccup. A buddy of mine also has the champ on his tj for over three years and just the other day he used it for about two hours straight, pulling both him and the log splitter he was towing behind it from a shed to a house, in 3 feet of snow. How it didn't overheat I'm not sure considering it's not thermometric. However the point is don't base your decisions off of negative experiences only, you might be surprised with the quality of low budget items.

2) That is quite possibly the most untrue statement I've ever heard. ALWAYS have at least one winch with you when going on a run, regardless of the trail difficulty. A few months back at rausch I saw an lj locked front and rear on 37's hung up BAD on a blue trail, aka not a 4/5 trail, and guess what he used to recover himself, a winch! If anyone ever tells you a winch is a bad investment for your jeep, they're wrong, and there is no two ways about it.
PatBlackTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #24
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
I still stand by every word I said in 2009 (post #14). My Champion is S_L_O_W as a snail, but it has been used, abused, and it still keeps on going.
Still being used, and abused...... if you are looking for speed, this is not it. However, my cheap Champion winch has never failed me and it has been well used/abused.
Unread 02-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #25
GPER
1979 CJ7 

I have the 4500 on my Polaris Ranger for over a year now and has worked great. I bought mine off of Amazon with free shipping and was less than TSC so you might do some checking.

My CJ has the Warn 8274 that is over 30 years old.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 06:54 AM   #26
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scibbyz99WJ View Post

Not worth it, thats over priced. I bought mine from a local Sam's club when they were trying to sell off the champion b4 the new what ever brand came in and i got a 10k for 229. You should be able to find 10k's for 299, or the new winch at sams' which i think is almost the same just shorter cable is only 279 for a 10k
Unread 11-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #27
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

they are cheap at tractor supply right now guys, i know this thread is old but tsc is having a sale on the winches. they have warn and champion winches on the jack isle
Unread 11-20-2011, 03:29 AM   #28
mrsig
2007 JK Wrangler 

After all these years my 10,000 is still going strong and working great! I think I paid around $400 for it about 4 years ago.
Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
mrsig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 05:41 AM   #29
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsig View Post
After all these years my 10,000 is still going strong and working great! I think I paid around $400 for it about 4 years ago.
My 7,500 is still going strong. I think I bought it in 2006.
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #30
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bringing a pretty old thread back to life to see how the Champions are holding up. I just got a 10,000 pounder off a guy for $300. I thought what the heck, might as well take a chance for a fraction of the price of a warn. Sounds like they guys that own these have no problems and the ones that have never used them speak bad about them....probably because THEY NEVER USED ONE. I have read here and there that the magnets will crack if over heated so I will just keep the run time down. Probably going to go with a synthetic line for safety though. Those steal braided ones scare the crap out of me after I saw one cut a 2" tree in half.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.