Champion winch troubles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Champion winch troubles

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 02-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Champion winch troubles

I wish I had never bought a Champion Winch! What do you all think I should do next? This has been going on since 08-08- 09!!!

Here's the last e-mail I sent them: (it tells the whole sad story)(and reads chronologically from the bottom to the top)

Quote:
Dear Ryan and the good people at Champion Power Equipment,

It's a new year, but we still have this same old issue to resolve, as you can see from this image of my e-mail log: Just look at those dates!! dang!

(So, see start at the bottom of the e-mail for a refresher if you forgot the situation).

You all sent me a cover for the winch (for which I am actually grateful. Thank you! I have been looking for one for quite a while! It feels a little weird though putting a cover on a winch that still doesn't work. If they can't sell me a replacement motor that fits, then I wish your company would just take this whole mess back and return my money! Too bad we've lost so much time. That is just gone, but as you can see I'm not giving up till I have a working winch again. So, big question is... What are your people going to do about it? If I don't hear back soon, I'll call for a follow-up.

Thank you and happy new year

In a message dated 10/21/2009 8:46:59 P.M. Central Standard Time, ******@aol.com writes:

Ryan, I know this is an old topic (started in early august). I've been unable to contact you lately, scroll down and start from the bottom for a refresher if you need to.

update:

So, in a fit of desperation I decided to take my old motor apart and use the bearing and end plate to try to make the new (incorrect) motor fit and work. I am not satisfied with this as a solution, but I NEED to use my vehicle again! It wasn't an easy or perfect fit. It does seem like it should work... But it doesn't. The motor will wind in, but will not reverse and wind out. The solenoid clicks, but nothing happens. Is it possible that the new (incorrect) motor needs to be hooked up in a different way than my original one? It could be possible that this has simply drug on so long that I forgot what wires went where, but due to their lengths, there seems to be only one way they'll fit.

It was the same exact motor. I told you in our last phone conversation. At that time you didn't even know they sent another one, but I told you they did and that it was the same type of motor (same incompatible height and bushing).

In a message dated 10/1/2009 6:10:18 P.M. Central Daylight Time, ryanm@cpeauto.com writes:

We sent 2 motors to you. One on 8/3 and another on 8/24. The pictures you sent are from the 17th of august, one week prior to the date it shipped. It says on the fed ex tracking info that it was delivered to you on the 27th of august. Did you not receive it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2009 2:58 PM
To: Ryan ********
Subject: Re: Ryan

The motor is incorrect. (See pictures below)

In a message dated 10/1/2009 10:50:52 A.M. Central Daylight Time, ryanm@cpeauto.com writes:

Hey,

We sent you another motor on the 24th of last month. Was that motor also incorrect? If so what is the problem with the new motor?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:55 PM
To: Ryan ********
Subject: Ryan

Ryan,

This saga has been going on for a long time. I need a resolution. I need to be able to use my vehicle again! What is Champion going to do about this?

In a message dated 8/17/2009 7:02:38 P.M. Central Daylight Time, ryanm@cpeauto.com writes:

Hi,

Having my parts guy take a look at this and figure out what we need to do. Get back with you in the morning.

Ryan

Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 2:10 PM
To: Ryan *******
Subject: 10,000# winch motor issue

Hi Ryan. Thank you for calling me about my winch motor. Here are the pictures you requested:

Summary:

I ordered a replacement motor for a C10586 winch that I bought from Sam's Club (came with a receiver mount). The motor that was sent to me does not fit right.

(pic deleted to save space)

Even with washers under the right (gear side - part #29 end bearing) the winch sits higher on the right with the new motor installed.

The end of the OLD motor assembly (part #7)

The gear side (you can see I have stacked washers under it to raise it up to sort of level the winch out)

Washers under the gear side. (part #29 -or- P1010020)

The new motor installed.

Looking towards the gear side.

The end plate of my old motor including serial number and measurement.

\(pic deleted to save space)

http://dirtyfabworks.com/gallery.htm
93YJfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, Guess who called out of the blue? Good Ol' Ryan. He has a deal for me. Ship him the winch and his guys will fix it, replace it, or just send me a check for the cost of the winch.

Scenerio 1:
It will cost me almost $80 to ship the winch to them. I paid $130 for a motor that doesn't fit. That means it will cost me about $210 to fix a winch that cost me $260 to buy new.
Scenerio 2:
What are the odds that they'll just write me a check for it? I'd say pretty good, because it will be cheaper for them than dedicating manhours to fix it + shipping cost. That equates to them buying back the winch plus an extra motor for $50.

Darned if I do:
Darned if I don't

What would you do?

Unread 03-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If it were me, I'd take the refund they offered & put it towards a Warn, Tabor, Ramsey, or Superwinch X9 or S9000. I wouldn't touch a Champion, Smittybilt, Milemarker electric, Bulldog, or any of the other winches imported from China like your Champion was.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 01:28 AM   #4
WtrHamer97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with Jerry. Take the check and put it towards the purchase of another winch, he has already listed a better selection for you. I prefer Warn, personal choice, just familiar with them. Good luck
Unread 03-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
Tick
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Without hesitation, take the refund and put it towards one that Jerry mentioned earlier. I would go ahead and send them the email now.
Tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
jonalexdeval
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Champion 7500 on my TJ. Let's just put it this way: the Champion company sucks you know what. I tried to order a cover for mine once and couldn't even get a hold of anyone to give them money!

It's a sucky winch... there's nothing else for it. I only have it because my dad bought it at Costco on a whim. It's the kind of winch you don't fix. You run it until it breaks and then buy a quality winch. Although I do have to give it some credit for not breaking on me yet... but it's like a bastard cousin to me... I have no confidence in it and almost want it to break so I can buy something else.

Get the Superwinch epi9.0s. Fast line speed and good price... good product. That's my plan for the future.
jonalexdeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would buy another if it was in my budget. I am going to e-mail them and ask if they can just send me a new one and let me use that packing material to send them this one back. It is worth a shot. I've been through a lot of trouble with this and they know where I live, soI don't see where they'd think I'm going to pull one over on them. I just want a fair deal. If they're already willing to send another (that is theoretically newer and not loaded with obsolete parts), then I'll go that route. If they just write me a check, I won't be able to buy another winch, so for me that is a step backward.

Unread 03-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your mind was made up before our opinion was asked. We all pretty much agreed on recommending that you take the refund check instead of another Champion winch so I guess it's just do what you wanted to do before you asked.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I actually hadn't made my mind up then. I would take the check if I could actually put it towards a warn, but the more i thought about it the more i leaned towards at least seeing if they would go for my deal. I havn't heard back yet, so they may not want to do that anyway. I just hope they don't wind up sending this one back to me "fixed" yet still containing obsolete parts.

Unread 03-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #10
X-Treme
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you bought the winch at Costco, just take it back there. NO questions asked warranty policy.
X-Treme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2010, 08:14 AM   #11
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
If it were me, I'd take the refund they offered & put it towards a Warn, Tabor, Ramsey, or Superwinch X9 or S9000. I wouldn't touch a Champion, Smittybilt, Milemarker electric, Bulldog, or any of the other winches imported from China like your Champion was.
Whenever you produce large #s of anything there will be problems. To help mitigate this you have quality control. Usually when money is wanted to be save this is one of many areas where you can cut costs. The chances of a bad piece of equipment making it out of the factory are greatly increased by doing this. Another one of many areas is customer service. I guess they have chosen to save money here also. Another one is cheap labor and lower quailty materials.

You get what you pay for!

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #12
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to take the refund. Sent the winch back testerday. Fingers crossed that this will come to an agreeable end soon.

Unread 09-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #13
PatBlackTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The only problem I've had with my champion is the mount connecting the winch line to the drum snapped. It was inconvenient, but an easy fix as well. I just went to the hardware store and bought the piece that broke for 87 cents. Other than that it's done what it needs to do for me. Not looking to the problems it seems everyone is having though.
PatBlackTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have had very good luck out of the 10k Smittybilt I have. I also have the T Max boomer box though, so do not use their solenoids.
I had a T Max on my last rig, and never had a single problem with it.
You do not have to "Go Warn" to get something that works, contrary to "popular" belief
Hell, out of 3 winches, the only one I have that does not work is a Warn....

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.