Champion winch - advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Champion winch - advice

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 11-29-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
lupien

Champion winch - advice

Im looking at that Champion 8000 lbs winch for my Jeep. The Warn winches cost up to 1000$ CAN + around 200$ for the mounting plate. This Champion is 500$ CAN plate included. For the amount of winching ill be doing I think this will be a good enough winch.

Is there anybody in this forum that has a Champion winch? If so how do you like (or dislike) it. I`ve read some review online about this winch and I haven`t really seen anything bad about it ( http://www.island4x4.com/4x4tech/pro...nch/index.html )

Now I know Warn fans will tell me its not as good as a warn and yes I know that and I know it will be slower to winch out of a hole but IMO even if it takes me 20min. to winch myself its still better then just having a Hi-lift. I would love to have the Warn or Ramsey, even a Mile Marker but there just to expensif for my budget.

So any reviews on this winch I would really apreciate

Thanks

( )_)( )_)-----)_)

--o-0-o00o--000-00o-000-00-0-0
lupien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
Alleycatinheave

I bought the Champion 8000 at Costco two months ago for $298. I didn't like the universal plate so I purchased a Harbor Freight Jeep plate for $29. Install was very easy with the exception that I had to drill the plate holes out just a little to match the winch bolt holes, really no big deal. To date I haven't had to use it to winch the Jeep, but I have used it to pull some huge shrubs out of the ground, and for that it went incredible well. All in all, I'm glad I went this route as money is always scarce. Plus, from Costco there is a lifetime return/exchange I think.
Alleycatinheave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 10:24 AM   #3
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in a bit of the same situation, but I've decided to just hold off and save up for the better winch. My reasoning is that I'm not really going to be using it on a daily basis, but when I need it, I need to know it's going to work, hands down, without question. The less expensive equipment lacks the attention to detail, level of quality in materials and workmanship that insures that mission critical equipment performs when needed, even after prolonged exposure and/or disuse.

FWIW,
Adam
'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Faramir66103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
CRD4Liberty

A buddy of mine has the same winch on his jeep, works well for what he uses it for. It's a copy of a Ramsey design which was a sound winch but slow. If you just need a winch to get you out of a fix, this will do it. If your on cluttered trailrides where getting out of the way of others and multiple quick pulls are important buy the newer designs. If you use a winch alot on the job, etc., or where long pulls are important, get a hydraulic winch, they run forever.
CRD4Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
lupien

Cool thanks for the info guys. I don`t need a fast winch. I usually go wheeling alone trying to find the best fishing spots. So even if it takes 10 min more to winch me out I don`t care...as long as it does winch me out.
( )_)( )_)-----)_)

--o-0-o00o--000-00o-000-00-0-0
lupien is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.