champion winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > champion winch

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 10-31-2005, 12:34 PM   #1
canesqb3

champion winch

Anyone know anything about the champion winch. It is about 300 dollars at sams club and I wanna know if it is worth it. Does anyone know if it is a cheap winch.

Also are there any suggestions for bang for your buck kinda winches.
Thanks

95 YJ 6 cyl., RE 4.5 XD lift, 33 X 12.5 TrXus STS all terrain, Mickey Thompson Classic II's, Tera Low SYE and CV Drive shaft, Smittybuilt rocker guards, Rock Hard Front Bumper and steering box skid, LOD Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier, 1" BL, tj flares,T-max 9000lb. winch, Overhead Sound pods, Rhino Lined, pro comp spotlights, midland cb radio.
COMING SOON... painting rims black, synthetic winch rope
[B]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]JESUS IS LORD!!!![/COLOR][/B]
canesqb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
phattdraggon

Chinese made crap. More than likely the same exact model as every other $300 winch on the market. buy a Warn and get home when you need to.
Unread 10-31-2005, 01:10 PM   #3
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Everybody will give you the same response.....you get what you pay for.

Now, with that said....here is my 2 cents. Warn, milemarker, superwinch, etc...they all make great winches. They also cost significantly more than that champion winch. Here is the difference. The more expensive winches give you more for the dollars you pay for. Faster retreival speeds, and usually not as noisy. I have several ppl I know that use that exact winch. It is slow, noisy and pretty much a 300 dollar winch. But.....they have never complained about it. It was 300 bucks, and they dont do anything but mild mud running and the occasional "hill" at the local park. If you are going to be pushing your rig to the limit....save your pennies and get something a bit more up to the task. If you are going to be mall crawling, the occasional mud puddle, and winching you and your friends out of the winter snow....that 300 winch will do what you need. It's really up to what you are going to do. On a side note....none of the fellow jeepers I know have had any problems with that winch. And my final comment....if it meant calling a wrecker or using my 300 dollar winch to get out of the ditch this winter...u can bet that would be the best 300 bucks I spent.

See what I mean...I just was typing this...and the post above was posted.
Unread 10-31-2005, 01:15 PM   #4
blake989
1995 YJ Wrangler 

check out this thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...champion+winch

near the end, this person updates the thread and gives all the details on the champion winch.
Unread 10-31-2005, 01:17 PM   #5
ditchdoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Edit: ^^^that's the post^^^

There's a post in the general section about it. They say Sam's has it for $199 in thier area. I'm gonna go look at Sam's to see if it is the same here. Their website says $300. If it is $199 I don't really see where you can go wrong.
l---L –OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

CSA Jeepers Association Member #6
ditchdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2005, 01:37 PM   #6
yeep

i thought it was a hellofadeal. i've had mine for two years. it came with the plate, fairhead, wire rope and clevis, wiring harness, remote, and snatch block for $300.

now before you tell me im an idiot, i will say the nearest rocks from here is 300 miles away. i run mud and sand, period. no mountains, no rocks. with my conditions here in SW georgia-NW florida, this has been a great winch. works every time i need it.
Blue Jeep Club Member #4.2
Follow Me To Certain Death Jeep Club Member #34

90 YJ V-8, big *** tires, cut, streached, locked.
yeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2005, 02:02 PM   #7
got_4_lo

i posted on your other thread about this....

if you are trying to save a few bucks i think the t-max winches are the way to go. we sell them at the 4x4 shop i work at, and they are not only cheaper than warns, but work pretty much the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTJ
I came home to be spit on and protested against in Boulder, Colorado. Most of the people have no clue. And that's why we do what we do. We give up our freedom so they can enjoy their freedom.
got_4_lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2005, 05:39 AM   #8
Bot

where can I find a t-max winch? I too am looking for a cheap alternative that will do the basic pulling every once in a great while.

Has anyone been able to find the champion in the store? If so, wht does it come with?
Bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #9
91GTA350

A lot of guys in my off road club run T-max winches. We had a deal with the company for a while, but they restuctured and we are unsure of our afiliation with them. The guys love them and they work great. Sord has it that Tmax is one of the better brands in Austrailia, kinda like Warn here in the states. This is what the guys say.
2/18/06 - destroyed spiders in d35
4.2/AX-15/NP-231/SYE/30/8.8/3.55/RE 2.5"/31"
91GTA350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2005, 01:51 PM   #10
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I almost bought a T-Max, but just couldn't find enough experiences with them. They look great on paper, that is for sure!

If my wife had not told me to get what I wanted and wasn't concerned about price, I would be running a T-Max right now. I'm running a 9.5ti.

Where I wheel, I ran across some folks from St. Louis and one of them had a T-Max on the front. It sure looked like it had been used. I asked if he had any problems with it and how he liked it. He had zero complaints and really liked it (price/performance/etc).

One guy we wheel with has the Champion winch. Not much use yet as he just got it, but he seems very pleased with his purchase.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2005, 06:10 PM   #11
canesqb3

Champion winches are at the Sams club they are 300 bucks and come with everything. Mounting plate, snatch block, and basically every else that you would have to purchase for a warn.
95 YJ 6 cyl., RE 4.5 XD lift, 33 X 12.5 TrXus STS all terrain, Mickey Thompson Classic II's, Tera Low SYE and CV Drive shaft, Smittybuilt rocker guards, Rock Hard Front Bumper and steering box skid, LOD Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier, 1" BL, tj flares,T-max 9000lb. winch, Overhead Sound pods, Rhino Lined, pro comp spotlights, midland cb radio.
COMING SOON... painting rims black, synthetic winch rope
[B]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]JESUS IS LORD!!!![/COLOR][/B]
canesqb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2005, 08:36 PM   #12
91GTA350

I hate these cheap winch discussions. every time i read them i think...i want a winch and if some of these guys say they are worth it, i might get one of these $300 winches... one of the things i have looked at and started to make me decide to wait to get a tabor (cheap line of warn, but still higher quality than "chinesse" is motor HP. a lot of the cheap ones are under 2 hp, but the tabor is 4.3 hp. the warns are rated even higher. i believe that the higher hp means that there is a smaller load on the battery for a given pull, say 8000lbs. either that or its a higher line speed, which is not the most important thing, but is a nice benefit.

by the way, since you are talking about cheap winches, look into chicago electric. they have a 9000 lb for $300 at harbor freight. it goes on sale every other month. its talked about a lot on the various forums.

and since i am typing and distracted from work...if the "everything" that comes with the champion has a snatch, tree protector, d rings, chain, and gloves, and winch plate...those are universal and can be used with any winch. if you take those out of the 300, then you have about $150 for a winch...use it a few times and if you dont like it, upgrade to a better one and you wont loose that much money...ok done ranting, back to my other distractions...
Unread 11-01-2005, 08:39 PM   #13
Bot

anyone have a website for the tmax? I would like to check it out before I make my decision on a cheap winch
Bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2005, 08:52 PM   #14
91GTA350

Tmax:
http://www.t-maxwinches.com/index.htm
Unread 11-01-2005, 09:21 PM   #15
mjeselskis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91GTA350
The winch I am looking at getting is the ATLAS 9500 lb winch. It has a higher hp motor than most cheap winches, is a series wound motor like a warn whereas the cheaper ones are usually permanent magnet motors that dont last, it has the same cl utch setup as a warn, sliding ring gear and overall seems to be a decent deal. Here is the link for it
https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/c...roducts_id=102

I dont need the winch mounting plate because I am building a bumper to mount it on so they said they would take off 20 from that price if i didnt want the mounting plate so that is $329 for what seems to be a very decent winch. I would rather get that over a cheap champion or chicago electric with crappy motors and components.
SOA on stock springs with add a leaf in rear, Welded D30, Posi-Locked, traction bar, Rear 5/8" Boomerang Shackles, OBA, Ditched Front and Rear Trac Bar, 34x10.5 LTB TSL Swampers on 15x8 M/T Classics, Ramsey Pro Plus 9000
mjeselskis is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.