CB antenna location - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > CB antenna location

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-22-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
claytonandson
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

CB antenna location

want to put my CB in the tj,whats the best location for best reception. the fiberglass mast i have now only goes to the roof top. do i need to be any higher just for offroad trailing communications?? that is with it mounted in the onley logical place i could find,corner of right rear bumper.

yellow jeep club #343
IAFF /FF's OF WASH. D.C. EMERALD SOCIETY/CHARLES COUNTY RESCUE SQUAD 51
claytonandson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
carpekd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You could make a simple L shaped bracket and mount it above one of the rear tail lights, or you could mount it on your spare tire carrier - both choices get good reception.
carpekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
jeepshawn
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I got the 102" steel whip antenna from radio shack and got the terraflex rear tail light mout its fairly easy to install i get great reseption with mine although I mainly just go to the desert so I dont need to worry about trees.
But it works great for me!
jeepshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
rubicon4x4
2004 TJ Wrangler 

my firestick II 4' ant works great on the spare tire carrier. My buddy's Lil Will magnet mount ant falls off of his XJ roof easily. I did the L-shaped bracket to mount mine

"Now, we must all fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil, which we must fear most, and that is, the indifference of good men."
rubicon4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
Indy

Last I read you want the antenna to go about 1.5' above the roofline.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2008, 05:10 AM   #6
FuzzyDolly
2005 TJ Wrangler 

This is where and how mine is mounted,,,

2005 Solar Yellow X
2" Skyjacker BB - 31X10.5\15 Cooper STT
www.wnyoffroad.org
FuzzyDolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2008, 06:47 AM   #7
xxxflhrci

I think the Teraflex tail light mount is tough to beat for both being practical and looking good.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #8
jeepshawn
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with the guy above!
jeepshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #9
rmb2485
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Pictures are terrible but its a Firestik body mount with a spring, quick disco and a 3' Firefly antenna.

rmb2485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #10
kc7yrs
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
I think the Teraflex tail light mount is tough to beat for both being practical and looking good.
The only disadvantage to the Teraflex mount is that if you ever want to replace the stock lights with recessed LEDs you will need to consider if they can be reconfigured to work.

Maybe someone can show an after LED upgrade picture that shows the Teraflex reconfigured to work.

Bob
kc7yrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 02:32 AM   #11
or8008
1998 TJ Wrangler 

teraflex mount for sale just for the OP: http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511435

although you would need to modify it to mount recessed LEDs, the bracket is compatible with OROs LiteDots.
Unread 01-24-2008, 06:33 AM   #12
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had one mounted on a L shaped braket above the right rear tail light. I ripped up a few of them on the garages and trees. Now I have a magnetic short one I keep inside the jeep. In the jeep works fine for trail rides and haven't had to buy a new antenna for years. For better reception, I can but it on the front of the hood. I have to be careful how I run the cable.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #13
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
X3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
I had one mounted on a L shaped braket above the right rear tail light. I ripped up a few of them on the garages and trees.
Then you were not running the appropriate flexible antenna, or your mount was way too weak.

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 11:21 AM   #14
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnburn80
X3.

Then you were not running the appropriate flexible antenna, or your mount was way too weak.
I went through a few of them. Other people I wheeled with had the same problem. The antennas would drag in low parking garages and catch low limbs. The ends would get chewed up. The bracket never broke, its still on the jeep. I would tuck into the top but that wouldn't do much good when the top was down. I just got tired of dealing with it and went the easy cheap route. I don't need more than a couple hundred yards range.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #15
Bigbob

[quote=rmb2485]Pictures are terrible but its a Firestik body mount with a spring, quick disco and a 3' Firefly antenna.

[QUOTE]

I like that. Where did you get it? Is it all Firefly stuff? I have a 4' Wilson and wonder if that would work with it. Mine is bumper mounted now as I can't get in the garage otherwise.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.