Cargo Net Ideas for Securing Items Stored on the Back Seat of a 2011 2dr JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Cargo Net Ideas for Securing Items Stored on the Back Seat of a 2011 2dr JK

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
TrailRated2011

2011 JK Wrangler 

Cargo Net Ideas for Securing Items Stored on the Back Seat of a 2011 2dr JK

Last year I purchased a Tuffy Security Products Tailgate Security Enclosure, Manufacturer Part No: 282-01. It provides great security for items of value when my soft top is down---I am very satisfied with it!

When it's full, I use the back seat for overflow storage. On trail runs, I worry about stuff on the seat shifting when I'm traversing an incline.

Also, when I stop for gas or a meal at a restaurant I worry about theft. I don't feel comfortable leaving my vehicle unattended.

Has anyone used a cargo net to secure their items on the back seat? Would you please post a picture of how you installed it? Your recommendations are welcome for manufacturer, model and/or part numbers.

I'm searching for ideas that are lockable, have quick n' easy access when unlocked---and tough enough that it'd be difficult for a thief to get into it---at least the snatch n' run, opportunistic thief. If it takes them time and effort, especially in a public place---I figure it'll reduce the likelihood that they'll expose themselves to being apprehended.

ideas-cargo-net-open-2011-jk-2dr.jpg  
follow the general rule of off-roading, "Go as slow as you can, as fast as you must."
I'm on the Web: geres.ca

Last edited by TrailRated2011; 05-09-2013 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: minor edit
TrailRated2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
TrailRated2011

2011 JK Wrangler 

eXomesh cage system might do the trick.

For Example:

Pacsafe 140L Bag and Backpack Protector
http://pacsafe.com/pacsafe-140l-backpack-protector

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
follow the general rule of off-roading, "Go as slow as you can, as fast as you must."
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
TrailRated2011

2011 JK Wrangler 

More info.:

Anybody ever use this? If yes, what is your view on pros n' cons of using it for my JK application---- back seat theft prevention and securing off-road gear n' equipment?

Pacsafe Exomesh
http://www.exomesh.com/

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
TrailRated2011

2011 JK Wrangler 

Another idea is to use a custom made canvas cover or tonneau cover.

The challenge with these is that they probably will not fit over my rear Tuffy storage compartment with my mounted trail jack, shovel and folded down soft top in the way.

See prototype (idea) below that I'm thinking of....
megeres-passenger-side-2011-jeep-jk-enclosed.jpg  
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:07 AM   #5
TrailRated2011

2011 JK Wrangler 

Safari Straps - Cargo Nets

Does anyone have experience using cargo nets sold by Safari Straps (http://www.safaristraps.com). How rugged are they? Can a thief cut through them easily? Is one model better than another for being tamper proof and resistent to cutting?
ss-04-2720-500x500.jpg  
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
TrailRated2011

2011 JK Wrangler 

16GA Steel Perforated Sheet Solution

Update:

Decided on a solution that I can live with. Went to Loucon Metal off Slack Rd. in Ottawa ON Canada. Purchased a 25" x 63" piece of "CR STL PERF SHT 16GA 1/2" DIA X 11/16" STAGGERED" and two 63" 50W STL ANGLE - BAR SIZE 1" x 1" x 1/4".

Dave at Capital Dodge in Kanata, ON Canada will assemble the three components and mount the assembly across the the tub of my JK over the rear seat.

He'll get some fasteners that allow me to secure n' lock the unit in place.

When I laid out the parts where I measured them to be---it was nice n' tight fitting.

Quite light too.

No carpet knife or tin snips are going to make it easy for a grab n' run thief.

Still no guarantees that I won't be robbed---but I can live with what I've got to secure my stuff on the back seat.
iphone-bkp-15-may-2013-perf-1.jpg   iphone-bkp-15-may-2013-perf-2.jpg  
Unread 09-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
TrailRated2011

2011 JK Wrangler 

Snatch-n-Run Theft Deterrent Rear Seat Shelf and Storage Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailRated2011 View Post
Update:

Decided on a solution that I can live with. Went to Loucon Metal off Slack Rd. in Ottawa ON Canada. Purchased a 25" x 63" piece of "CR STL PERF SHT 16GA 1/2" DIA X 11/16" STAGGERED" and two 63" 50W STL ANGLE - BAR SIZE 1" x 1" x 1/4".

Dave at Capital Dodge in Kanata, ON Canada will assemble the three components and mount the assembly across the the tub of my JK over the rear seat.

He'll get some fasteners that allow me to secure n' lock the unit in place.

When I laid out the parts where I measured them to be---it was nice n' tight fitting.

Quite light too.

No carpet knife or tin snips are going to make it easy for a grab n' run thief.

Still no guarantees that I won't be robbed---but I can live with what I've got to secure my stuff on the back seat.
I really like what the final product looks like, and its utility. Here’s some updated images (Dave’s install yesterday). The assembly was spray coated with flat black truck bed liner protectant.

Ottawa Fastener Supply has my order for “SPAENAUR Security Hex Socket Button Head Machine Screws”

Once I replace the regular bolts with the security head versions, it’ll add a bit more of a theft deterrent for a quick snatch n’ run.
snatch-n-run-deterrent-rear-seat-shelf-1.jpg   snatch-n-run-deterrent-rear-seat-shelfn.jpg  
snatch-n-run-deterrent-rear-seat-shelf-2.jpg

spaenaur-security-machine-screws-1.jpg

truck-bed-liner-spray.jpg

Last edited by TrailRated2011; 09-29-2013 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: minor edit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.