can't remove a bolt - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > can't remove a bolt

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 11-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #31
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar408 View Post
Dude, proper oil temperature ( open to discussion) is 200/230 when hot. As far as removing a bolt, it usually involves heating it til it first starts to take on a glow, sorta dull orange.
I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on torch work, but come on....heating it up with oil temp you might as well use a hair drier instead of a torch.
With all due respect.
Its worked for me... I would say it was below freezing out when I did it, but it was a PITA until i let the thing idle for a bit and it came right off.

EDIT: reguardless, in the end i would still take it to the original place, and make them do it. That way if they mess it up, its on them.

BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
tjwrangler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #32
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The last time I heard of a bolt being that hard to get off, the guy was trying to remove it from the backside and was turning it the wrong direction. I know you know it's righty-tighty lefty-loosey but I'm just thinking perhaps you're pulling on the wrench from the other side of the drain bolt and you're tightening it by mistake. Hey it happens.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #33
angrybear
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i hope the trick above with using the vehicle weight during a lift lowering was a joke...

try using a combo of a breaker bar and a hammer/mallet, just give it a sharp sudden hit on the end of the breaker bar, sometimes that sudden jolt will do more good than a strong pull on the breaker bar. try that in combo with pb blaster/etc.
Unread 11-22-2011, 01:29 AM   #34
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Did you get it? If so, how?
hoovail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #35
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
i hope the trick above with using the vehicle weight during a lift lowering was a joke...

try using a combo of a breaker bar and a hammer/mallet, just give it a sharp sudden hit on the end of the breaker bar, sometimes that sudden jolt will do more good than a strong pull on the breaker bar. try that in combo with pb blaster/etc.
No joke, but an act of desperation and not something I recommended anyone do. This wasn't on a jeep, but a tiny rear engine car with a horizontal drainbolt with a huge (24mm?) hex head and built in strainer. I couldn't create enough room underneath to get any kind of leverage on it.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #36
4x4Jeep
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovail View Post
Did you get it? If so, how?
i ended up taking it to a shop, since i've been really busy at work, and it needed to be changed soon. they had trouble too, and ended up giving me a new plug.

thanks for everyone's suggestions...will definitely be buying a breaker bar now for future use.
4x4Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.