can't remove a bolt - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > can't remove a bolt

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 11-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #16
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

Get the breaker bar, everybody who owns a socket set should have one. Trust me, you'll need to use it more than just this once...

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #17
austin6137
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepn4life92 View Post
i have an assortment of thick walled steel tubing purchased cheaply that i manage to need on every project, best investments ive made, go to your local home depot or lowes or any other home improvement store and buy a pipe witht the inside diamter just slightly larger than the outside diatemer or your socket wrench, slide it over the end and use it like that, be careful though, i have actually over loaded a socket wrench doing this and broke the ratcheting device on the inside (not entirely sure what to call it, lol) and the socket wrench would not hold a load after
I couldn't tell you how many ratchets I've killed doing that, lol thankfully I have craftsman. I've also split a few sockets to.
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #18
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovail View Post
If a breaker bar doesn't work, and your feeling ballsy, try this.
That was me . It would be a little tough to use my patented technique on a drain plug with a vertical axis.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 10:42 AM   #19
jeepn4life92
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin6137 View Post
I couldn't tell you how many ratchets I've killed doing that, lol thankfully I have craftsman. I've also split a few sockets to.
the one i broke was a craftsman too, lol
Unread 11-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #20
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I cant see a drain plug being that hard to get off. Get a breaker bar, and some pipe as already stated and go to town.
Unread 11-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #21
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

The only time I can remember having trouble getting one off was on a Honda 650 I had about 20 years ago. The first time I changed the oil after I bought it (used) it was a royal PIA, I ended up putting an air impact wrench on it.

I did have one on the ex's GC that the dealer had a hell of a time with and the service manager tried to tell me I cross threaded it myself or one of those quickie-lube places did it. This was a new car purchase and about the fourth oil change on the thing - freebie deal with the dealership for 3000 mile changes the first three years or 36k miles. I quickly went to the glove box and showed him that EVERY oil change was done THERE, by them and I had all the records! Made them take the pan off and re-tap it for free after he put his foot in his mouth.
Same dealership, same GC I had an issue when I had them rotate the tires about a year later, stripped lug and they broke it getting the bolt off - again, IT WAS MY FAULT until I produced receipts and they had to replace the stud and lug nut.

I do all my own work UNLESS it's free with a car purchase or it's a simple tire rotation that I'll have them do with a free oil change for the $15-20 they charge. IT PAYS TO KEEP ALL YOUR RECORDS HANDY, boys!!!

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #22
jeepn4life92
1997 TJ Wrangler 

just wondering since we're discussing how we all have gotten majorly stuck bolts unstuck, does anyone have any understanding on what conditions (i.e. salty roads, very hot conditions, etc) tend to cause bolts such as the drain plug to get stuck. im thinking this bolt is getting stuck because of the "unusual" environments we sometimes take our jeeps thru and that this bolt is located in the heart of everything we run thru.
Unread 11-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #23
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Try soaking some DeepCreep on it before going at it with the breaker bar. I've had DeepCreep do the trick with stuck nuts/bolts when PB Blaster didn't cut it.

X2 on the pipe extension, on a quality 1/2" breaker bar.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #24
austin6137
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepn4life92 View Post
the one i broke was a craftsman too, lol
Yea I broke alot of craftsman tools, you gotta love lifetime warranties. Broke snapon tools to.
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #25
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

alright, no flames here BUT if we're in agreement that we are speaking of the drain plug and you can't get it loose and are probably gonna break it off (it's only 1/2 SAE thread)....
It has nothing to do with structural strength at all. It simply keeps the oil from running out.
Go to Home Depot or the FLAPS and buy a BFN 3/16 and 11/32 bit, a 1/8 NPT pipe tap and a brass 1/8 NPT pipe plug. Center punch the face of the hex on the bolt, drill it first w/ 3/16 bit all the way thru til it hits oil.Thats for a pilot hole. ( keep putting grease on the end of the bit to trap and retain metal shavings) Then the 11/32 for the final hole. Tap the hole w/ the pipe tap and REMEMBER pipe thread is tapered, meaning it won't go completely thru but will get progressively tighter (cut 5or6 threads) Remove and put the brass plug in it and just remove it when you need to do oil change.
Sounds a lot harder than it is IF you are mechanically inclined.
Remember, I was raised in northeast Louisiana: Form Follows Function.
Unread 11-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #26
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Take it back to the dealer/shop and let em have it... maybe they will give you a free oil change. There is no excuse for using an impact gun (which they probubly did) on a drain plug.

If you dont wanna do that, I sometimes put my breaker bar in a position, and jack the end up with my jack... Just be careful of it popping off and flying somewhere lol.
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
tjwrangler99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #27
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Oh another option, if you dont want to heat the thing up... Just run the jeep for a while, get the oil/pan nice and hot... just be careful of the oil when u pop it off
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
Unread 11-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #28
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Oh another option, if you dont want to heat the thing up.
therein lies a problem. Obviously the oil is still IN it. Therefore if you try to heat the bolt you are only heating the oil. Like heating a pot to boil water. The oil would actually COOL the bolt.
One way would be to drill a small hole in the very bottom of the pan and drain the oil. Heat the bolt up yo a dull orange and remove, then weld the hole back up. That may be worth trying 'cause sooner or later OP's gonna break the sumb!+ch off flush and really be in trouble.
Unread 11-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #29
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar408 View Post
therein lies a problem. Obviously the oil is still IN it. Therefore if you try to heat the bolt you are only heating the oil. Like heating a pot to boil water. The oil would actually COOL the bolt.
One way would be to drill a small hole in the very bottom of the pan and drain the oil. Heat the bolt up yo a dull orange and remove, then weld the hole back up. That may be worth trying 'cause sooner or later OP's gonna break the sumb!+ch off flush and really be in trouble.
what are you talking about? If the bolt/pan/oil is sitting at ambient temperature, and heating them is still increasing the tempurature overall. All components will absorb some of the heat, but its still an increase. This is why I said to run the motor for a while.

I would not drill a hole in the pan just to heat up a bolt. I would rather the head snap off, because then you just need a bolt extractor with a drill.

I think if you run the jeep for a bit, it may provide enough heat to get that sucker to move.
2011 Patriot FD1
Unread 11-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #30
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
what are you talking about? If the bolt/pan/oil is sitting at ambient temperature, and heating them is still increasing the tempurature overall. All components will absorb some of the heat, but it's still an increase. This is why I said to run the motor for a while.
Dude, proper oil temperature ( open to discussion) is 200/230 when hot. As far as removing a bolt, it usually involves heating it til it first starts to take on a glow, sorta dull orange.
I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on torch work, but come on....heating it up with oil temp you might as well use a hair drier instead of a torch.
With all due respect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.