Can i Make my 2 keys into 1? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Can i Make my 2 keys into 1?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-16-2012, 04:54 AM   #1
Brandon1254

Can i Make my 2 keys into 1?

Im proud to say i finally bought my first jeep yesterday I love it...but i hate the fact that there is a separate key for both The doors, and ignition. If i take them both to a key cutter place (Ace) can they make one key that does both?

Also whats a normal price to get my Manual locks converted to auto(keyless entry)...Is it simple for someone with little experience to do it themselves?

Its a 96 Cherokee Classic(if that makes a difference)

Brandon1254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You cannot combine keys by cutting them different. Look up how a lock cylinder works and you'll slap yourself for even asking. There's a chance you can get the door locks rekeyed to match the ignition.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
Brandon1254

any clue how much something like that costs?
Brandon1254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

For cars, no clue.
I used to do it for Schlage (sp?) brand house locks when I worked at a hardware store. I think we charged $15/lock. It took maybe 5 minutes if we knew the key code.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Most locksmiths can re-key the door to match the ignition or vice versa.

I had a hoopdee Honda Civic in Germany that had a separate key for every lock... Had the locksmith rekey them in about 30 minutes... Poor thing died a horrible death the next day though
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon1254
any clue how much something like that costs?
Usually $25-$45 bucks. I've had it done for $10 before if you remove the lock cylinder first.
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
You cannot combine keys by cutting them different. Look up how a lock cylinder works and you'll slap yourself for even asking. There's a chance you can get the door locks rekeyed to match the ignition.
I know for fact it can be done on 68-9?? Fords because I did it for years. most doublesided keys can be done as well. most only have pins on one side of the lock.
Its cheap to try, you just to mark the key so you can know which way to insert it. Of course whoever cuts the key needs a old school key machine to make it happen.
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecop

I know for fact it can be done on 68-9?? Fords because I did it for years. most doublesided keys can be done as well. most only have pins on one side of the lock.
Its cheap to try, you just to mark the key so you can know which way to insert it. Of course whoever cuts the key needs a old school key machine to make it happen.
[rant]I cannot express how much I hated using the old school key cutter at the hardware store. It was always my fault when the copy of a worn out key didn't work. A copy is, at best, going to be just as ****ty as the original.[/rant]
Quote:
Unread 03-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

By 1996 the Cherokee should have just one key for the doors and ignition. Assume that somebody changed one or the other for some reason.

You might be able to find a new set of matching locks with keys (try TeamCherokee.com), or as suggested you can get either the doors or the ignition re-keyed to match. I have had good luck finding full sets of locks at the junkyard. Find a donor with a key that is not worn flat, check all the locks, and then remove them. All the locks/key cylinders come right out when you remove the retaining clips.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #10
Corbie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So two jeeps with one key to rule them all is possible ? I'll have to find a locksmith

Ps I use to use an old GM key to unlock my helicopter doors with
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
Indy

Just put the two keys back to back, wrap duct tape around it so you have -------[]-------- And youre done.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee , key , keyless entry , lock , price

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.