Can anyone tell me if this is a military trailer?/My off-road trailer build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Can anyone tell me if this is a military trailer?/My off-road trailer build

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #31
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

I can't believe a whole year has passed since I have done any work to this thing. I didn't get to take it hunting last year, but was lucky enough to draw bow tags again for cow elk. I'm gonna need it this year because the Jeep is down and I'll have to take mamma's Tahoe hunting (it's okay cause she drew a tag too!). But There's no way she'll want to put a bloody carcass in the back of it.

So this time I really need to get this thing registered and road legal. It was actually pretty nice over the weekend, only about 96 or so. So Sunday morning I got to put in a few hours on the trailer before I lost my shade.

I had picked up some fender blanks from the local trailer store a few months (years?) ago, so I leveled the trailer and mocked them up. I trimmed them to fit and tacked them in place. Then I removed the tire, added some solid welds every few inches, cleaned it up with a wire brush on the 4" grinder and hit it with a little primer.

Here's the progress:

trailer-091.jpg

trailer-092.jpg

trailer-094.jpg

trailer-095.jpg

trailer-096.jpg

trailer-097.jpg

Unread 06-16-2014, 01:33 PM   #32
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

With the fenders on, I turned my attention back to the tailgate. I did't like the way the frame was fitting, because of the little "ears" I had at the top. Basically my original design idea was just flawed. I decided to cut the "ears" off, and square up the back of the trailer so it would fit better. I wanted it to be flat around the top perimeter so I can eventially make a lid for it. I also welded a small tab on the back top of the tailgate opening to act as a stop.

You can see the "ears" in the first pic, and what I did to change it.
trailer-098.jpg

trailer-089.jpg

trailer-090.jpg

Unread 06-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #33
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

That's about all I had time for, gonna try to get it cleaned out and the lights wired up this week. Updates to follow, (soon i hope!!)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.