Can anyone tell me if this is a military trailer?/My off-road trailer build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Can anyone tell me if this is a military trailer?/My off-road trailer build

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #31
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

I can't believe a whole year has passed since I have done any work to this thing. I didn't get to take it hunting last year, but was lucky enough to draw bow tags again for cow elk. I'm gonna need it this year because the Jeep is down and I'll have to take mamma's Tahoe hunting (it's okay cause she drew a tag too!). But There's no way she'll want to put a bloody carcass in the back of it.

So this time I really need to get this thing registered and road legal. It was actually pretty nice over the weekend, only about 96 or so. So Sunday morning I got to put in a few hours on the trailer before I lost my shade.

I had picked up some fender blanks from the local trailer store a few months (years?) ago, so I leveled the trailer and mocked them up. I trimmed them to fit and tacked them in place. Then I removed the tire, added some solid welds every few inches, cleaned it up with a wire brush on the 4" grinder and hit it with a little primer.

Here's the progress:

trailer-091.jpg

trailer-092.jpg

trailer-094.jpg

trailer-095.jpg

trailer-096.jpg

trailer-097.jpg

Unread 06-16-2014, 01:33 PM   #32
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

With the fenders on, I turned my attention back to the tailgate. I did't like the way the frame was fitting, because of the little "ears" I had at the top. Basically my original design idea was just flawed. I decided to cut the "ears" off, and square up the back of the trailer so it would fit better. I wanted it to be flat around the top perimeter so I can eventially make a lid for it. I also welded a small tab on the back top of the tailgate opening to act as a stop.

You can see the "ears" in the first pic, and what I did to change it.
trailer-098.jpg

trailer-089.jpg

trailer-090.jpg

Unread 06-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #33
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

That's about all I had time for, gonna try to get it cleaned out and the lights wired up this week. Updates to follow, (soon i hope!!)
Unread 09-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #34
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Been working on the trailer quite a bit lately. I did get it registered and took it elk hunting. No luck with the elk but the trailer worked great. DMV didn't like the lights so I had to change them out with ones that had side markers on them too. I made the frame for the water tank and mounted it using a ratchet strap (temporary for now until I come up with something more permanent.) And we took it on it's maiden voyage!!
photo-1-2-.jpg

photo-1-5-.jpg

photo-2-5-.jpg

photo-3-2-.jpg

photo-4-2-.jpg

Unread 09-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #35
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

I also did some welding on the tailgate. My welds looked pretty bad so I ground them all down, after I fill in the side panels I'll probably put a little bondo on the edges to clean it up a bit.
photo-1-3-.jpg

photo-2-3-.jpg

Unread 09-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #36
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

So then last week I ordered this off Ebay:
photo-2.png

photo-1.png

Unread 09-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #37
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

So I spent the weekend welding together a rack for it. I want to be able to lower and raise the tent. Closer to the trailer for travel, then raised up once in camp so it will be high enough to make full use of the annex room. I figured the bottom should be at least 6'2" high. That should keep me from bumping my head. The trailer has bed stake pockets, so I got some 1 1/2 tubing that fits them pretty well. I got 1 3/4 tubing that sleeves the smaller stuff with a little bit of play. Here's what I put together:
photo-1-4-.jpg

photo-2-4-.jpg

photo-4.jpg

Unread 09-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #38
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

I welded two sets of tubes with the cut pieces on the ends for my main supports then cut four crossmembers out of 1x2 rectangular tubing. Then leveled everything the best I could and tacked it all together.
img_0389.jpg

img_0390.jpg

img_0396.jpg

Unread 09-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #39
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

It slides, barely. It tends to bind up alot. In hindsight I should have made the sleeves a lot longer, to keep it more stable. It's very hard for two people to slide it up and down while moving at the same rate of speed and keeping the rack level from front to back. I'm hoping that once I add some lift struts to the corners it will keep it tighter and make all four corners lift at the same rate. But we want to try it out this weekend so for now this will have to work. I set the travel height at 12" from the top of the trailer and welded some small collars on the uprights to act as slide stops. Another reason I made the uprights so high is because we want to be able to carry a set of kyaks above the tent.
img_0403.jpg

img_0404.jpg

Unread 09-15-2014, 10:21 PM   #40
jerryjeeper
Old Jeep Guy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Nice trailer but NOT military surplus.
jerryjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #41
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Here's a test fit of the tent, so far I like it alot!

And I decided I didn't like the way the taillights looked so I got some LED's from amazon. I think they look a lot better. I'm just gonna have to put some side marker lights on it later to stay DMV compliant. I guess it doesn't really matter since it passed inspection and I got my tags. But If a trooper wanted to get me, I could be a ticket I don't need.
img_0406.jpg

img_0405.jpg

img_0407.jpg

Unread 09-15-2014, 10:32 PM   #42
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjeeper View Post
Nice trailer but NOT military surplus.
Thanks man, that seems to be the general concensus (that it's not military) I saw one just like it on EXPO and PM'd the owner but haven't heard anything back.

It's a work in progress for sure, hopefully in the end it'll be a nice little off road adventure trailer for the fam.
Unread 09-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #43
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Mounted the tailgate this weekend. I welded a bit of scrap I had to the backside where the hinges would go, just to strenghten it up a bit. Welded the hinges to the gate, then drilled and bolted it to the trailer. Gotta make some limiting straps for the sides, so it'll open flat, right now it just drops open like a duece and a half.
photo-1-6-.jpg

photo-2-6-.jpg

photo-3-3-.jpg

photo-4-3-.jpg

Unread 09-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #44
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

I got the tailgate latches welded on this weekend. I welded some 3/16 plate into the top corners to have a solid place to mount the latches. Then welded the catch onto the trailer above the taillights.
photo-2-7-.jpg

photo-1-9-.jpg

photo-2-9-.jpg

photo-3-6-.jpg

photo-4-6-.jpg

photo-1-10-.jpg

Unread 09-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #45
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

I wired some quick disconnect plugs onto the taillights. I've already had to take them off three times because of welding or paint, so I wanted to make it so I didn't have to keep redoing the wireing. I twisted and soldered the wire then covered it with some heat shrink tubing. I also made a license plate bracket because one of the tailgate hinges are where the plate was mounted before and its's in the way now. I wasn't sure if I wanted to leave it there permanently so I figured a bracket was a good option rather that drilling more holes. Also I added a LED light to illuminate the plate, a requirement here in NV.
photo-2-10-.jpg

photo-3-7-.jpg

photo-4-7-.jpg

quick-connect.jpg

photo-5.jpg

Tags
camping trailer , off road , trailer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.