Can anyone tell me if this is a military trailer?/My off-road trailer build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Can anyone tell me if this is a military trailer?/My off-road trailer build

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #16
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

^^^^Thanks for the info Chris87xj ^^^^ So by what you said, if the tongue weight is too heavy would I just move the axle closer to the Jeep to adjust it?

Also, with that in mind I'll just have to place items that will be consumed; equally in front of and behind the axle. That way the weight doesn't vary too much from a fully loaded trailer on the way in, to a partially emptied one after a few days of camping/wheeling.

Again this is my first trailer build so any input or corrections are greatly appreciated.

Unread 11-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #17
Wrench2-3
2012 JK Wrangler 

After 14 years wrenching for Uncle Sam, I can say with the utmost certainty that that trailer isn't milspec, however that is not to say that it wasn't owned by the military. The US military especially the AirForce purchase vast amounts of off the shelf equipment for limited duty work. As for moving the axle forward, if the trailer pulls well now I wouldn't suggest moving the axle I would suggest instead to try out different load plans until you get the tongue weight you need with your permanently mounted items.

just my .02
White Jeep club #176

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Wrench2-3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2012, 01:24 AM   #18
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sik78cj7 View Post
^^^^Thanks for the info Chris87xj ^^^^ So by what you said, if the tongue weight is too heavy would I just move the axle closer to the Jeep to adjust it?

Also, with that in mind I'll just have to place items that will be consumed; equally in front of and behind the axle. That way the weight doesn't vary too much from a fully loaded trailer on the way in, to a partially emptied one after a few days of camping/wheeling.

Again this is my first trailer build so any input or corrections are greatly appreciated.
Sounds like you're on the right track. Leave the axle where it is and adjust the balance by how you pack the load, or rather where you place the heavier stuff. It should ideally be somewhat close to balanced side to side as well. With a proper load on it that trailer will pull like a dream; you'll hardly know it's behind you. With a bad load it might fight you all the way. After you do it a couple times, you'll get the hang of proper load placement pretty quick.
Check 'Figure B' here for a good way of measuring tongue weight with a bathroom scale. http://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-d...ue-weight.aspx

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
VOTE for the Rocktober Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
mudrunners

For sure not military but awesome
mudrunners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #20
ldbackdfk
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well I can't say if it is or isn't military. I will say the tub is very similar to my military trailer except my trailer doesn't have a tailgate. The frame is completely different from mine but the axle and springs are look to be the same. Regardless it will make a nice trailer! Good luck on it. I want to do the same thing with mine just don't have the time right now. I actually thought about rigging up a tent on mine. I got to do some research first.
ldbackdfk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #21
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

It's been awhile but I did manage to get some more work done. I got all the holes plug welded and I replaced the metal at the back of the trailer that was looking pretty bad. Here are a few of the before and afters.
trailer-075.jpg   trailer-077.jpg   trailer-080.jpg   trailer-081.jpg   trailer-083.jpg  

trailer-086.jpg  
Unread 12-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #22
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Here's what the back looks like now, all new and pretty!
trailer-079.jpg   trailer-087.jpg  
Unread 12-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #23
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

I originally planned on using CJ taillights but didn't like how big they looked on the new metal. So I found these at the parts store and thought they looked like the old willy's single taillight. I kinda like the old school look. I'm thinking about adding a small round clear light under them to act as reverse lights.
trailer-088.jpg  
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #24
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

The water tank I ordered came in a few weeks ago. Here's a pic of it sitting in front of the box on the tongue, where I plan on mounting it. The size is perfect, exactly what I was going for. I plan on making a frame out of angle iron that the bottom will rest in. I'll just have to make some type of straps to hold it down. I haven't decided on metal bands with some rubber between them and the tank to protect it, or just some webbing. Any thoughts??
trailer-076.jpg  
Unread 12-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #25
CoastieShep
2001 WJ 

Looks like it was stuck onto an old boat trailer.
CoastieShep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #26
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Haven't had much time to work on the trailer, with the holidays and all. Also I am in the process of moving. This weekend I started the build on my 50 chevy so I'm not sure when I'll get back to the trailer. Besides I've been waiting for a warm day so I can throw some paint on all the bare metal. I'll post updates when I have some!
Unread 01-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #27
mKosel
1999 WJ 

That looks exalent. great craftsmanship! my question is. cant you buy a new one for how much money you did in repairs? (serious question, not being a troll)
Unread 01-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #28
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKosel View Post
That looks exalent. great craftsmanship! my question is. cant you buy a new one for how much money you did in repairs? (serious question, not being a troll)
Thank you for the compliment.

As far as buying a new one (I'm guessing you mean trailer) so far I have only spent:

$160 on the sandblasting. Wanted to repaint it anyway, just didn't want to do all the work of stripping paint myself so this was by choice not necessity. So I consider it a wash.

The steel plate was $120 (if I remember right) for a 4x8 sheet. I have only used a tenth of it on this project and will use the rest for other stuff. By that logic I feel I only really spent $12 on the steel.

The lights were $5 each.

I guess if I try to figure in time and labor (did all the work myself) I could make up all kinds of crazy dollar amounts, but half the fun is having a hobby, doing the work myself and spending time at home in the garage instead of a bar, strip club, etc, etc. (not that I have a problem with those places, they just haven't proven very productive for me or my wallet).

So for $22 in repair costs thus far, no I don't believe I could have just bought a new one.
Unread 01-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #29
mKosel
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sik78cj7 View Post
Thank you for the compliment.

As far as buying a new one (I'm guessing you mean trailer) so far I have only spent:

$160 on the sandblasting. Wanted to repaint it anyway, just didn't want to do all the work of stripping paint myself so this was by choice not necessity. So I consider it a wash.

The steel plate was $120 (if I remember right) for a 4x8 sheet. I have only used a tenth of it on this project and will use the rest for other stuff. By that logic I feel I only really spent $12 on the steel.

The lights were $5 each.

I guess if I try to figure in time and labor (did all the work myself) I could make up all kinds of crazy dollar amounts, but half the fun is having a hobby, doing the work myself and spending time at home in the garage instead of a bar, strip club, etc, etc. (not that I have a problem with those places, they just haven't proven very productive for me or my wallet).

So for $22 in repair costs thus far, no I don't believe I could have just bought a new one.
true true! And I bet it's a helleva lot tougher than anything store bought!
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #30
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

It's been awhile but I've finally decided to get back to work on the trailer. I drew bow tags this year for antlered mule deer and cow elk, Hunting season starts Aug 1, so I gotta get the trailer usable and registered by then. Lately it's just been storage for car parts in my driveway.

First thing I wanted to do is make the tailgate. I welded a new frame out of 1x1 square tube. Then I measured in the jeep tailgate I had picked up and welded in cross bars to fit it.

I split the jeep tailgate into two pieces, front and back. Then trimmed it to fit in the frame I made.

That's about all I got done beecause it's crazy hot here now. I'm working in the driveway and I lose the shade from my house by about 10 am, Friday it hit 108 by 11:30, so I had to call it a day.

The next step will be to weld in the "Jeep" panel and make patch panels to fill in the sides.
photo01.jpg   photo02.jpg   photo03.jpg   photo04.jpg   photo05.jpg  

Tags
camping trailer , off road , trailer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.