Can anyone tell me if this is a military trailer?/My off-road trailer build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Can anyone tell me if this is a military trailer?/My off-road trailer build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Tweaks at JeepHutJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 10-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Can anyone tell me if this is a military trailer?/My off-road trailer build

I found this trailer on CL and bought it for $400. I have been wanting to build an off-road/camping trailer to pull behind my CJ-7 and after pricing steel, axles, wheels and tires, I figured this was a good deal and a good place to start.

The PO said it used to be AF blue and he thought it was an old military trailer. If anyone knows for sure I'd like to know too!

trailer.jpg   trailer-021a.jpg   trailer-022.jpg   trailer-023.jpg   trailer-033.jpg  

trailer-048.jpg  
Unread 10-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

To me it looks like the frame isn't original. It appears that it was either custom built for this tub (or box) or someone modified it to where it is today. The inside dimensions of the tub are 6'x4' and from the front of the box to the end of the tongue is another 6'. Also the tailgate is obviously not original. Here is a pic of the current hitch.
trailer-055.jpg  
Unread 10-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

At first I wanted to chop it down and narrow it because it is a little bigger than what I originally planned on making. I wanted a set up that was the same axle width as my Jeep so it would track behind it. However as it sits right now, my quad fits in it just right. Since I will be using it for hunting and camping, this is an added bonus. I am a bit concerned about adding too much weight since my Jeep is a 78 with the original in-line 6 motor. So far this is what I plan to do (not necessarily in this order):

1. Repair any rust, holes, etc and repaint .
2. Replace tailgate with custom "jeep" tailgate
3. Replace taillights with CJ style lights
4. Add rear hitch and bumperettes (See where I'm going with this?)
4. Add fresh water tank to front
5. Add spare gas cans
6. Add tube style square fenders
7. Add tongue box
8. Add retractable stabalizer legs to rear end
9. Add shocks

Future mods as money permits:
1. On board gas grill and 5 gal propane tank
2. Hard tonneau style lid
3. On board power (probably deep cycle batteriers w/charging set up)
4. Some type of flood style lights for camp
5. 360* hitch set up

I'm sure I will have questions along the way and appreciate any suggestions or tricks to make it easier and keep it safe for the road.

Here is kind of what I have in my head right now:
mock-up.jpg  
Unread 10-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Started de-constructing the tailgate a few days ago. A guy from my off-road club has a few old jeeps he's parting out so I got a nice CJ tailgate for $40. I plan on centering it in the tailgate of the trailer so it will essentially look like a stretched CJ tailgate. I removed the sheet metal from the existing tailgate. Then took out the suppports so all I'm left with is a rectangular shapped frame made from square tubing.
trailer-014a.jpg   trailer-016.jpg   trailer-017.jpg  
Unread 10-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

After looking long and hard at the homemade hinges on the tailgate frame, I decided they need to be replaced. Also the bottom of the tailgate sat outside of the trailer box while the top portion sat inside of it. This needs to be fixed as well. Since I am hoping to add a hard top in the future I want to make the tailgate a bit more weather proof.

Here is what it looked like, and the hinges which were just two thin pieces of tubing with a steel rod in the center (sorry for the blurry pic):
trailer-036.jpg   trailer-037.jpg   trailer-035.jpg   trailer-038.jpg  
Unread 10-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

So after removing the tailgate, I started looking a bit closer at some of the sheet metal. It was obvious that a PO tried to patch up some rust with paint and bondo. Most of the metal looks pretty solid but here are a few shots of the bad spots. In the last pic you can see where I scraped off the paint and bondo. It shows how bad the metal rusted underneath it. IMO it is always better to cut out rust and weld in new metal. Since there are several layers of paint on the tub, I'm thinking of getting it blasted to save myself some work. I want to repaint it anyway so I think it would be better to start with a clean slate.
trailer-039.jpg   trailer-040.jpg   trailer-041.jpg   trailer-059.jpg   trailer-060.jpg  

Unread 10-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

No guesses? No military trailer buffs out there just itching to tell me what this is????
Unread 10-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

that's not a M100 or 416 This is a picture of My M100 1/4 ton Jeep Trailer.
I added a CJ tailgate
rubicon-trailer.jpg  
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

Here is a better view It's not 100% correct but It's mine.
6inchrims.jpg  
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRubiconrich View Post
Here is a better view It's not 100% correct but It's mine.
That's a nice trailer. From the pic the axle (hub) and spring set up looks the same. But the tub is obviously not. But my trailer doesn't really look like it's home made.

Thanks for the response!
Unread 10-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

I got the tub sandblasted this weekend. Found a local guy that did it for $160. It has some rust but overall looks pretty good.
trailer-065.jpg   trailer-066.jpg   trailer-064.jpg  
Unread 10-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

The worse spots are in the back on the sides where the tailgate will close against. A PO welded some angle iron here for support and water got in between the two layers of metal and rusted it from the inside out. I think some seam sealer here would have prevented that.

I started cutting out the infected metal and plan on welding in square tubing in order to make the sleeves for my drop-down/retractable support legs.
trailer-067.jpg   trailer-068.jpg   trailer-069.jpg   trailer-071.jpg   trailer-072.jpg  

trailer-073.jpg  
Unread 10-31-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Haven't got much done. Been too busy with everything else. I did have a chance to start plug welding some of the holes in this thing, last friday. I got about ten done. They were all only 1/4 inch or smaller but I want the tub to be as weather proof as I can get it. Here's a shot of the front which had five holes in it that I filled.
trailer-074.jpg  
Unread 10-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #14
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Found this on the web, I think it will be a good choice for my fresh water tank. It's 36"x16"x8", and holds 20 gals. They also offer a 25 gallon size and several smaller ones but this one is under $100 and I think the size is right. I want the fresh water for desert camping. It will mostly be for cooking and cleaning, we usually take bottled water, beer and juice boxes for drinking.

My only concern is tongue weight. Anyone got any input on that? A gallon of water is just over 8 lbs so this tank (full) will add about 170 lbs.
water-tank.jpg  
Unread 11-01-2012, 01:32 AM   #15
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Your trailer does not look military surplus to me, but it does look like a sweet little offroad tag-along built to some similar size characteristics.
On a single axle trailer, tongue weight is all about balance. Ideally it should be 10-15% of the loaded gross weight. Too little will cause whip and sway at highway speeds and too much will squat your jeep. If it were me I'd plan a full gear layout for it; test fit/load everything in, and see how closely you can match the tongue weight to ideal.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Vote here for the November Cherokee Of The Month!!!
The Thanksgiving JF Membership Giveaway is here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
camping trailer , off road , trailer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.