Buying and Building a Jeep (Total Noob) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Buying and Building a Jeep (Total Noob)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Freezd
2012 JK Wrangler 

Buying and Building a Jeep (Total Noob)

--------Skip story if you want------------
Hello everyone. I'm Chris and this is my first forum post here. Please note that I do not own a Jeep. I'm 17 and plan on getting a Wrangler 2012 Sport S soon. I plan on offroading on easy - medium trails for the first year or two and then I might ramp it up to harder stuff.

My dad took me offroading about 15 times. Yes, it will be my first vehicle but note I will be paying 100% of the cost so I'll be extra careful with it

My father stated that "driving a Jeep with a manual transmission is more manly than an automatic" and he had a manual so I'm going to follow in his footsteps.
------------Story finished-----------------

I need advice on what optional stuff I should order the Jeep with and what a good set up would be. Comfortable price range (everything included) $35,000-$40,000. Max price (everything included) I'll pay $45,000.

Reminder: I'm a noob. Would like 35" tires or 37" so I don't have to bother upgrading in two years.

TL;DR
Please recommend all upgrades to a stock Wrangler Sport S/best tires for my price range/equipment/accessories/anything else I'm missing (noob) (basically a dream machine under $45,000 for someone that has never owned a jeep but has been on 4 wheeling trips). A dream set up!

Thanks in advance.

Freezd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

there are many ways to do this.
1 Why not buy a used TJ Rubicon add a lift, 35's, winch call it a day.
2 Buy a YJ,TJ build it up with Dana 44's gears lockers, lift 35's winch call it a day.

At 17 you will pay thru the nose for insurance on a NEW Jk.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezd View Post
I'm 17 and plan on getting a Wrangler 2012 Sport S soon.
17 and you have a $45,000 budget? Must be tough.

Start with a Rubicon. You'll pay more up front, but you'll save money over the Sport because you'll start with lockers, 4.10 gears, 4:1 transfer case, sway bar disco, rocker armor, etc. And it's already set up for moderate wheeling with 32" MTs. I doubt you'll need more than that for what you plan on doing with it.

It looks to me like you're looking for image more than capability. Well let me tell you that you get more "trail cred" for wheeling a stock vehicle well on a difficult trail than you get for wheeling a built rig on a fire road.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
Freezd
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
17 and you have a $45,000 budget? Must be tough.

It looks to me like you're looking for image more than capability. Well let me tell you that you get more "trail cred" for wheeling a stock vehicle well on a difficult trail than you get for wheeling a built rig on a fire road.
I've never met any one who wouldn't want a nice looking vehicle if they're spending $45,000 on it . Like I stated, I plan on doing harder trail after a year or two of experience. But thanks for the advice.
Freezd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If it was me I would buy a used TJ. Wheel it stock for a couple years . Then take the remainder of the $45000 and build it into what you want.
Unread 09-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezd View Post
I've never met any one who wouldn't want a nice looking vehicle if they're spending $45,000 on it .
Want some more advice? Your nice looking vehicle is going to get torn up if you are wheeling difficult trails. Even easy trails can cause big damage if you make a small mistake. That's a lot to spend on a trail rig and if you want it to look nice, DON'T wheel it.

Wheel something where you don't mind crunched fenders and a cracked windshield every now and then.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
jmauld
2004 TJ Wrangler 

For $45k, I would get a mustang and a used TJ.

Or be responsible. Get a used TJ and bank the rest of the money to go towards a house.
jmauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmauld View Post
For $45k, I would get a mustang and a used TJ.

Or be responsible. Get a used TJ and bank the rest of the money to go towards a house.
Yeah don't live in your Dad's basement for the rest of your life.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
jeeper06

Get a used tj rubicon and put the brute kit on it. There pretty rare still and just look bad ***. The kit costs $8000 4" inch lift $600 35" $1400 for a set. Knowing that your 17 and have a badass tj priceless

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
jeeper06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
harleysilo
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Congrats! I know most people at 17 got their priorities all screwed up, but what you gonna do right? Are you going to college soon? Military? Work? Independently wealthy already?

Kinda of hard to offer REAL advice unless we know more about your resources.

All that said, for $45K you could have a bad *** buggy built that would go anywhere....

If i wanted a wheeling rig i'd buy an old *** beater cause you are gonna beat it up, save the $$ for repairs.

Best bang for the buck would by buying a few year old built jeep that some rich kid got tired of....
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
ljrubitm
2011 JK Wrangler 

I would haveto go along with everyone else,. Find a good TJ Rubicon. I had a 06 LJ rubi with a 4'' lift & 33's. You say that you'll be real careful, but things happen when you wheel.
I have a 2011 JKUR, and at the time it was only 7 months old and this was my first trip after I was done with my build.I got into some tight trails with trees and this happen.

ljrubitm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
jeeper06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljrubitm
I would haveto go along with everyone else,. Find a good TJ Rubicon. I had a 06 LJ rubi with a 4'' lift & 33's. You say that you'll be real careful, but things happen when you wheel.
I have a 2011 JKUR, and at the time it was only 7 months old and this was my first trip after I was done with my build.I got into some tight trails with trees and this happen.
I think it looks better now

06 tj 4.56 dana 44s 2.5" inch lift on 35"
jeeper06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build , jeep , noob

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.