Burnt M8000 - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Burnt M8000

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 02-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #91
rubiconrich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Two other places I always check are State colleges as the teachers could use "projects" to do. Also, look into trade schools.

rubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #92
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The rattle sound you mentioned that was gone...would you attribute that to the motor or the planetaries? And when you cleaned up the drum, did you clean out the inner brake surface as well, and could that have been a source of the rattling? I re-greased my M8000's planetaries and did a once-over on the motor and brake, and the rattle was still there. Perhaps I didn't use enough grease? I also see that you didn't use a moly grease...do you think this might cause issues with the high-pressure contact and shearing in the planetary gears? Everything I've read about greasing planetaries like that said to use moly grease for added lubrication between the gear teeth.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #93
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGeo View Post
The rattle sound you mentioned that was gone...would you attribute that to the motor or the planetaries? And when you cleaned up the drum, did you clean out the inner brake surface as well, and could that have been a source of the rattling? I re-greased my M8000's planetaries and did a once-over on the motor and brake, and the rattle was still there. Perhaps I didn't use enough grease? I also see that you didn't use a moly grease...do you think this might cause issues with the high-pressure contact and shearing in the planetary gears? Everything I've read about greasing planetaries like that said to use moly grease for added lubrication between the gear teeth.
I think the rattle was due to the condition of the planetary gears and existing bushings. As for the inside of the drum, I did wipe it down and clean out any junk but it was relatively clean so I didn't spend much time on it plus the brake looked good. For the grease I used the high temp stuff I had lying around my apartment. I didn't want to go out and get the Aeroshell or other moly lube because: What I used is better than what was in there, I had the high temp grease readily available and I don't use my winch regularly. Worse comes to worse I'll pull it apart and replace what I need too. I paid $300 for this winch and I've gotten more than my money's worth out of it so however it can help me from here on out is gravy. One thing I think you should do is replace all your bushings and lube it up good. Don't pack the housing full of grease but be liberal when putting it on the gears.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #94
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Did you ever swap from wire to rope?
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #95
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
Did you ever swap from wire to rope?
I wanted to but I couldn't justify the cost. $63 shipped for new 5/16" steel cable with a thimble versus $200 for the Amsteel Blue I was looking at in the equivalent size.

Would have been nice though.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #96
lclark2074
1990 YJ Wrangler 

good rebuld did you now that you can re varnish the rotor to prevent shorting?
wow 710 post my faverit sub is agusta
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #97
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclark2074 View Post
good rebuld did you now that you can re varnish the rotor to prevent shorting?
wow 710 post my faverit sub is agusta
I know that you can but I don't know of a place that does it. It still had a glaze on the rotor but it was darker than it should have been.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.