Burnt M8000 - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Burnt M8000

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 11-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #76
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

OK this should be my last update. I finally got a Hobart welding cable lug for 5/16" stud and pressed it on the end of the cable. I also found a pin to put in my hook. So this evening I put the cable on the drum. It actually flipped around and hit me in the face, gave me a slightly bloody nose and busted lip but I got it done. When I put the cable on I had half a quart of 5W-20 leftover from my Civic's oil change. So I soaked a rag and oiled the cable with it as I spooled it in. Looks great and I can't wait to use it.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 05:01 AM   #77
Perkalater79
2012 JK Wrangler 

Amazing thread. Thanks for taking the time to share your work. Hope I never have to do it. nice job!!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Perkalater79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #78
1HouseMouse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have got to admit..... This has been one of the better threads to follow even though I did participate somewhat. Great Job!
1HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #79
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkalater79 View Post
Amazing thread. Thanks for taking the time to share your work. Hope I never have to do it. nice job!!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HouseMouse View Post
I have got to admit..... This has been one of the better threads to follow even though I did participate somewhat. Great Job!
Thanks guys. Hopefully others will find it useful.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #80
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The winch really looks great Lou. I guess now you need to get busy with the "testing" phase.

One of the really great things about a project like this is your comfort level with the piece of equipment. There is precious little that I haven't rebuilt or outright made for my rig. It's a good feeling when you're fully aware of the capabilities and limitations of practically every component on your vehicle. It's also knowledge that you really can't get any other way.
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #81
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
The winch really looks great Lou. I guess now you need to get busy with the "testing" phase.

One of the really great things about a project like this is your comfort level with the piece of equipment. There is precious little that I haven't rebuilt or outright made for my rig. It's a good feeling when you're fully aware of the capabilities and limitations of practically every component on your vehicle. It's also knowledge that you really can't get any other way.
Thanks a lot. It was a fun rebuild and I'm hoping to get a good test out of it at Choccolocco Mountain in AL this December. I'll definitely post pics of it in action if I use it. The knowledge you gain from tearing into something and putting it back together is invaluable and it's a great feeling when you're done. I had the same feeling when I successfully put in my first set of gears. Of course I was on edge for a month during the break-in period.

I'm jealous because my buddy has his MX8000 on the work bench. One of the wires to the armature post to the brushes came apart. That's not what I'm jealous about though, he's picking up an M8274 this week and plans on rebuilding it. I'd love to get one of those. I have caught myself cruising CL a lot for them.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-22-2011, 08:54 AM   #82
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Watch long enough and you'll find one for a decent price. I almost didn't buy mine because there was so little there, but when I stopped and thought about it, I realized that even if it had been functional, I'd have probably replaced all the pieces that I had to buy anyway.

I wouldn't be too jealous of your friend. I'm pretty sure that either of my sons (12 and 15) could easily rebuild an 8274. There's just not much to it. Going through a planetary is something else entirely.

Take a lot of pictures when you go to Choccolocco Mountain. Some of us need all the inspiration we can get. I've been doing some shakedown runs in mine and getting some bugs worked out, but real wheeling is still on hold until a few more things are buttoned up. What's killing me is how many really great wheeling areas are so near. Living on the edge of the Ozarks has it's advantages. Trails, Rocks, Water Crossings, Mud, and even sand dunes if I'm willing to drive the 300 miles to Little Sahara to get sand packed into every open area and bearing in my Jeep.
Unread 12-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #83
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Watch long enough and you'll find one for a decent price. I almost didn't buy mine because there was so little there, but when I stopped and thought about it, I realized that even if it had been functional, I'd have probably replaced all the pieces that I had to buy anyway.

I wouldn't be too jealous of your friend. I'm pretty sure that either of my sons (12 and 15) could easily rebuild an 8274. There's just not much to it. Going through a planetary is something else entirely.

Take a lot of pictures when you go to Choccolocco Mountain. Some of us need all the inspiration we can get. I've been doing some shakedown runs in mine and getting some bugs worked out, but real wheeling is still on hold until a few more things are buttoned up. What's killing me is how many really great wheeling areas are so near. Living on the edge of the Ozarks has it's advantages. Trails, Rocks, Water Crossings, Mud, and even sand dunes if I'm willing to drive the 300 miles to Little Sahara to get sand packed into every open area and bearing in my Jeep.
I'll be sure to take plenty of pics and hopefully test out the winch. We shall see. Yeah Arkansas has good spots from what I've seen. I've contemplated taking a trip out there but I also have thought of Rausch Creek in PA.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 12-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #84
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I'll be sure to take plenty of pics and hopefully test out the winch. We shall see. Yeah Arkansas has good spots from what I've seen. I've contemplated taking a trip out there but I also have thought of Rausch Creek in PA.
This summer we were about 30 miles from Moab. If I'd been in any other vehicle we owned I'd have taken the extra time (we were in my Charger). Someday, I'm going back with my Jeep.

Have fun and be careful.
Unread 12-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #85
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This summer we were about 30 miles from Moab. If I'd been in any other vehicle we owned I'd have taken the extra time (we were in my Charger). Someday, I'm going back with my Jeep.

Have fun and be careful.
Thanks!

My buddy, and best man in my wedding next year, just asked me to be his best man a month before my wedding. We both agreed that we're taking a big jeep trip. Colorado and Moab sounds good but I think we're going to stay on the East Coast. Rausch Creek maybe?

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 12-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #86
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Got to use my rebuilt M8000 a few times over the weekend. It worked flawlessly and didn't have the rattle like sound. I was very impressed. In the pic below I pulled up a root...a big root. I snagged it and kept going and it got under my bell housing and lifted the front end so I lost traction.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 01-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #87
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I got another question guys.

I've read others throwing out the idea of using a 6 HP motor to replace the M8000 4.2 HP motor. Can anyone confirm this? I'm going to keep researching since I haven't bought the motor yet. I'm still waiting on the rebuild kit from Warn. It should be here tomorrow. I've gotten everything else painted I just need the gaskets and bushings now.
did you ever find more info on the 6hp motor swap?

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #88
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeepr View Post
did you ever find more info on the 6hp motor swap?
I never found much info on the upgrade and didn't pursue it because I was able to reuse my 4.6 HP Warn motor. From what I can tell you can do the 6 HP motor but it's quite a chunk of change. I was about to get a replacement 6 HP one but it was made in China and did not get good reviews. The cheap 6 HP motor said it was compatible with the M8000.

Hopefully this helps.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 01-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #89
rubiconrich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Go to an electrical motor shop. They can build one to fit.
rubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #90
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiconrich View Post
Go to an electrical motor shop. They can build one to fit.
I know this is a late response but the motor shops I called wanted to charge me more money to rebuild than a new motor from Warn cost. So I didn't pursue it after that.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.