Burnt M8000 - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Burnt M8000

ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 10-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #61
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
My concern with doing that would be trapping heat around the motor if too much were used. Warn doesn't RTV the motor, I don't think I would either.
I don't see how sealing up a winch could cause a discernible heat buildup. If the winch had some sort of open air flow in the design (slots or louvers), I'd agree with you, but it's completely enclosed. The only effects that I could see from sealing it would be keeping moisture out and possible pressurization (negative in cold weather, positive when the winch is hot), but I don't see how that would hurt anything either (not enough volume of air space inside a winch to build a significant amount).

As far as Warn not using sealant from the factory... Warn also supplies pretty small power cables from the factory. They work, but they heat up and cause the motor to heat up quicker as well. I've never used a set of power cables that came with a winch. I've always used heavier guage welding wire. Anytime an item is mass produced, there are trade-offs made for cost and manufacturability vs. product quality. Please don't look at this as an attack on Warn (or you Jerry). I am a firm believer in Warn winches (I own two of them), but they're still a company and their primary goal is to make money.

To look at it another way, Jeep didn't insall Warn winches, lifts, 33 inch tires and etc. on YJs from the factory either. They work fine without them, but they work better in certain environments with them.

GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #62
1HouseMouse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

To RTV or Not to RTV, that is the Question! How about some Input from WARN Customer Service? I don't see a problem with it.... On both questions.
1HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #63
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HouseMouse View Post
To RTV or Not to RTV, that is the Question! How about some Input from WARN Customer Service? I don't see a problem with it.... On both questions.
I don't think that sealing up the motor would be a bad thing but I'll still send Warn a question and see what they say. Ironically enough I did my engineering co-op at an electric motor manufacturing plant (Reliance Electric). Depending on the customer we had motors with open frames (louvers) for ventilation and others that were sealed (explosion proof ones too). It really depended on the customer and application. A lot of them went to mining, others to sewage facilities and even more to run huge fans for ventilation systems. If the motor was in a harsh environment the customer usually wanted them sealed up.

I'll still send Warn a question and see what they say.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #64
1HouseMouse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I don't think that sealing up the motor would be a bad thing but I'll still send Warn a question and see what they say. Ironically enough I did my engineering co-op at an electric motor manufacturing plant (Reliance Electric). Depending on the customer we had motors with open frames (louvers) for ventilation and others that were sealed (explosion proof ones too). It really depended on the customer and application. A lot of them went to mining, others to sewage facilities and even more to run huge fans for ventilation systems. If the motor was in a harsh environment the customer usually wanted them sealed up.

I'll still send Warn a question and see what they say.
Exactly! I have an explosion proof motor running here in my Septic System..... If WARN wanted theirs to be vented.....
Unread 10-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #65
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I want to give a huge thanks to Ray (1HouseMouse) for sending me the heavy duty trailer plug and socket. It's beefy and should work great. All I need to do is open up the hole on the control box cover. We have a filing station at work so it won't take too long. I plan on sealing the socket to the cover with some RTV and drill some new holes. I have some stainless steel socket head cap screws (10-32 I think) to mount it.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 10-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #66
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I got the control box done and everything wired up. I just need to bolt up the winch and attached the leads. The heavy duty trailer plug and socket worked great. I've attached a pics below. All I had to do was file out the hole where the other plug was and I put some self tapping screws in the housing. I'll need to wire the plug to the remote but I'm not sure which wires control in and out. I think my buddy has my voltmeter so I'll just have to do a little trial and error.

I also got a response from Warn sealing the electric motor. Pretty much what I expected though.

Quote:
Lou,
We have not done a sealed version of that winch model and could not say what you were up against without testing such a configuration.
If it is fully sealed you would run into issues of the gases created during use not being able to escape.
If partially sealed and the wrong drain hole on the bottom of the motor was sealed the water could enter but not escape.

You will need to look at how you plan on doing this and then test your configuration to make sure it is not causing other issues.

Michael McEwen

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #67
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I'm 99% done. I just need to put some wire rope on the drum. The trailer plug and socket works great and the winch works good (from what I can tell).

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #68
1HouseMouse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well done!
Unread 11-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #69
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Louie, you did an absolutely amazing and totally thorough rebuild. VERY nice job man, Kudos to you!

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 04:43 AM   #70
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Louie, you did an absolutely amazing and totally thorough rebuild. VERY nice job man, Kudos to you!
Thanks guys! I appreciate everyone's help and support.

When I get a new wire rope installed I'll post the final pic.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #71
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If it works half as good as it looks, you're in business...

Good job.
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #72
1HouseMouse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Beer Time.... My Garage!
Unread 11-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #73
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
If it works half as good as it looks, you're in business...

Good job.
Thanks! The true test will be soon enough when I'm at Morris Mountain ORV park.

Quote:
Beer Time.... My Garage!
If I was in Garden Ridge, Texas, I'd buy you a case .

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #74
CGSteve
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Thanks guys! I appreciate everyone's help and support.

When I get a new wire rope installed I'll post the final pic.
Do you need a brand new Warn wire rope from a new M8000? Let me know, I've got one that is available...and a new roller fairlead too.

Anyhow, nice work...good way to save some $$$.
CGSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #75
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGSteve View Post
Do you need a brand new Warn wire rope from a new M8000? Let me know, I've got one that is available...and a new roller fairlead too.

Anyhow, nice work...good way to save some $$$.
Dang!

I just bought one from Piercesales.com this morning. I ended up getting 5/16" x 100' without a hook shipped for $61. I would have definitely taken you up on the offer. Thanks again though.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.