Burnt M8000 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Burnt M8000

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #31
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
I would think that you could use the pin from a trailer connector, but I don't know for sure.

Also, you might want to check out Pierce Sales. You can get a solenoid pack (2 double throw continuous duty solenoids that are intended for industrial winches) as well as the plug, remote, and solenoid to motor cables all for $60... Even if you just used the plug and the controller, that's not a bad deal and you'd have a backup option for your solenoids.

Here is a link... http://www.piercesales.com/Solenoid-...e-p/ctl013.htm
Not a bad deal. I went to radio shack and bought a power cord plug for a computer or something. Anyway I got the female pin connectors out and I took some needle nose pliers and rolled the edges into themselves to make the hole smaller so it would fit snug on the winch controller plug.

I also have the parts painted and the end housing of the gear side packed with gears and a liberal amount of grease.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #32
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It looks like you're coming along nicely Louie. I wouldn't think twice about taking on another spur gear winch, but I've only torn into a planetary once.... Whole different animal. I've always liked the compact features of the planetary winches, but there's a lot going on in there. It's good to see someone going through the trouble to save one rather than just tossing it and buying another.
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #33
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It looks like you're coming along nicely Louie. I wouldn't think twice about taking on another spur gear winch, but I've only torn into a planetary once.... Whole different animal. I've always liked the compact features of the planetary winches, but there's a lot going on in there. It's good to see someone going through the trouble to save one rather than just tossing it and buying another.
Thanks!

I knew that Warn could supply replacement parts and from what I can tell they are durable winches with proper care. I don't think the last owner gave it the TLC it needed. Plus there's something I like about rebuilding versus just buying a new one.

I've asked around a bunch and most folks have said that they think my current motor just got hot and burned some of the varnish but it looks salvageable. I'm going to get some CRC contact cleaner tonight and see if I can clean it up and look into a electric repair shop.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 10-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #34
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here's some pics of the progress.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 10-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #35
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

That clutch handle is tall!
scifone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #36
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifone View Post
That clutch handle is tall!
I know. I wanted to get another lever but the kit from Warn was $40 and I didn't think it was worth it because mine still works.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 10-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #37
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

OK. I've finally have a conclusion to this whole rebuild thing. I spoke with a electric motor repair shop in Knoxville, TN (my fiancÚ lives there) and I discussed with a technician about my motor and the situation I had. I told him the varnish got hot and some melted off. I said it was fairly black on the stator and inside the housing but it still worked after it cooled down. He asked if the commutator was smooth and if the brushes were in good shape and they were. I also said the rear bushing and bearing the shaft rides on were in good shape too. He said the varnish could have been black from upon manufacturing and said I should run it until it (not continuously but figuratively) until it stops working. I asked about a rebuild and he said that would cost more than what the motor was worth (he said between $200-300) and a new motor from Warn is $204 before shipping.

My plan is to clean the motor the best I can with CRC contact cleaner, paint it and bolt it back up. Then I'll run it until it stops and just get a new one from Warn. My only problem now is the socket plug on the control box cover. I tried the socket plug in the pics but it isn't long enough and sits down in the socket too far for the pin to reach. If anyone has a spare cover lying around I'll pay for it and the shipping.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 10-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #38
1HouseMouse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
OK. I've finally have a conclusion to this whole rebuild thing. I spoke with a electric motor repair shop in Knoxville, TN (my fiancÚ lives there) and I discussed with a technician about my motor and the situation I had. I told him the varnish got hot and some melted off. I said it was fairly black on the stator and inside the housing but it still worked after it cooled down. He asked if the commutator was smooth and if the brushes were in good shape and they were. I also said the rear bushing and bearing the shaft rides on were in good shape too. He said the varnish could have been black from upon manufacturing and said I should run it until it (not continuously but figuratively) until it stops working. I asked about a rebuild and he said that would cost more than what the motor was worth (he said between $200-300) and a new motor from Warn is $204 before shipping.

My plan is to clean the motor the best I can with CRC contact cleaner, paint it and bolt it back up. Then I'll run it until it stops and just get a new one from Warn. My only problem now is the socket plug on the control box cover. I tried the socket plug in the pics but it isn't long enough and sits down in the socket too far for the pin to reach. If anyone has a spare cover lying around I'll pay for it and the shipping.
Kool! Kinda along the thoughts I was thinking except.... I would have bought a new Motor for Peace of mind so to speak. Anyway, Good Luck and thanks for the Updates!
1HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #39
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks!

I knew that Warn could supply replacement parts and from what I can tell they are durable winches with proper care. I don't think the last owner gave it the TLC it needed. Plus there's something I like about rebuilding versus just buying a new one.

I've asked around a bunch and most folks have said that they think my current motor just got hot and burned some of the varnish but it looks salvageable. I'm going to get some CRC contact cleaner tonight and see if I can clean it up and look into a electric repair shop.
The warn motors last forever. If she's still cranking, there's no real reason to replace it. I'd just clean it up, make sure the brushes are in good condition (if not, they're fairly inexpensive to replace) and make sure to clean out inbetween the conductive pieces on the armature where the brushes make contact. I've brought a couple back from the dead (not functioning at all) using the above mentioned steps.

Just feel the motor once in a while during winching. If it starts getting hot, give it a little while to cool down. I doubt that the varnish is burned. If it were, you'd probably have a dead short and honestly, I don't think the solenoids would have disengaged with that kind of amperage draw. The motor gets hot when it can't get enough amperage to overcome load. If it was pulling enough amperage to mess up your varnish, the solenoid contacts should have fused to the "on" position which is a really, really bad situation.

I have a manual interrupt between my battery and the winch for this reason. A friend of mine had an old Warn Belleview that he'd converted to an electric solenoid with a ford starter solenoid (Belleview winches used a cable operated mechanical switch). It fused shut and kept pulling... Luckily, we were able to get to the battery and remove the cable before it got really bad, but there was still a bit of carnage to deal with.
Unread 10-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #40
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HouseMouse View Post
Kool! Kinda along the thoughts I was thinking except.... I would have bought a new Motor for Peace of mind so to speak. Anyway, Good Luck and thanks for the Updates!
I would have but I bought it for $300 and have put $70 into it so far plus I want to put synthetic rope on it. The new motor would have been around $230 shipped. I figure I'll get as much out of the motor as I can. I'm not too worried if it quits because my buddies have a brand new M8000 and Warn Powerplant. So it this one takes a dump I'll rely on them and just order a new one and bolt it on.

Quote:
The warn motors last forever. If she's still cranking, there's no real reason to replace it. I'd just clean it up, make sure the brushes are in good condition (if not, they're fairly inexpensive to replace) and make sure to clean out inbetween the conductive pieces on the armature where the brushes make contact. I've brought a couple back from the dead (not functioning at all) using the above mentioned steps.

Just feel the motor once in a while during winching. If it starts getting hot, give it a little while to cool down. I doubt that the varnish is burned. If it were, you'd probably have a dead short and honestly, I don't think the solenoids would have disengaged with that kind of amperage draw. The motor gets hot when it can't get enough amperage to overcome load. If it was pulling enough amperage to mess up your varnish, the solenoid contacts should have fused to the "on" position which is a really, really bad situation.

I have a manual interrupt between my battery and the winch for this reason. A friend of mine had an old Warn Belleview that he'd converted to an electric solenoid with a ford starter solenoid (Belleview winches used a cable operated mechanical switch). It fused shut and kept pulling... Luckily, we were able to get to the battery and remove the cable before it got really bad, but there was still a bit of carnage to deal with.
That's good to hear about the Warn motors and crazy about the solenoid contacts sticking. I'll bet it caused a lot of damage. I still think the varnish melted because it bubble out around the edges of the drum and it was very sticky and stinky. Someone told me it starts to melt around 400 degrees F but either way it still has a coating on it. Who knows, this winch might outlast my jeep! Once I get it painted and back together I'll throw some pics up. I'm also leaning towards putting a toggle switch in the dash since I can't find a plug for the remote.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 10-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #41
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

How it sits today. I should have the motor back on in a couple days.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 10-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #42
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good man. Like I said in my thread, it's amazing what a few coats of paint can do
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #43
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How it sits today. I should have the motor back on in a couple days.

Your winch looks great!

I'd definitely recommend putting a master control (power to the switch) and a two way momentary switch (for in and out) on the dash regardless of whether you get your remote up and running. I know that you typically have plenty of cable to run it to the cab, but it's awfully nice not to having to worry about snagging your slack remote cable with a tire... (don't ask, I was 17 and far less observant).

Have you considered replacing your plug with a trailer plug? It might not be as pretty, but it's more than sufficient electrically. I'm talking about the old round four pole style. On the winch side, it would look pretty much like it does now and nobody would ever see the plug end of the remote unless you were winching.

trailer-plug.png

trailer-socket.png
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #44
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Your winch looks great!

I'd definitely recommend putting a master control (power to the switch) and a two way momentary switch (for in and out) on the dash regardless of whether you get your remote up and running. I know that you typically have plenty of cable to run it to the cab, but it's awfully nice not to having to worry about snagging your slack remote cable with a tire... (don't ask, I was 17 and far less observant).

Have you considered replacing your plug with a trailer plug? It might not be as pretty, but it's more than sufficient electrically. I'm talking about the old round four pole style. On the winch side, it would look pretty much like it does now and nobody would ever see the plug end of the remote unless you were winching.

Attachment 295473

Attachment 295474
Where can I obtain those? Tractor Supply?

A few more pics. I painted the control box cover but it looks cheap. It won't matter in the woods though.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #45
1HouseMouse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Where can I obtain those? Tractor Supply?

A few more pics. I painted the control box cover but it looks cheap. It won't matter in the woods though.

I have one here with me now. I'll send you Photos and if you want it.... PM me and it's yours free of all charges.... including shipping.
1HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.