Bumper/Spare Tire Rack Setup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Bumper/Spare Tire Rack Setup

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-05-2001, 06:48 PM   #1
Ras

Bumper/Spare Tire Rack Setup

With the purchase of my new 33"x12.5" tires and 15"x10" wheels, I am no longer able to fit my spare tire on the stock spare tire rack on my rear gate. I was told not to extend the three bolts and continue to use the gate mounted setup. Instead, should I get a new bumper and bumper mounted spare tire rack system? I am not really concerned with keeping my 3rd brake light.

Can anyone give me any recommendations on good systems like this they have seen and/or installed themselves? By the way, this is for a 1997 TJ Sport.

Thanks,
Ras

Ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2001, 06:03 AM   #2
smithbuiltYJ

The weight of the bigger meats will put more stress on the tailgate (TJ's are stronger than YJ's here). When I put 31" on my YJ, I had to put on rubber spacers half the size of stock, and I could not open the rear window of my hardtop - It would not clear the larger tire - and now the right rear tailight was acting as the tire stop. I ordered a Swingout bumper/tire carrier from: WWW.YOUNGER-BROS.COM/
They are hand made, and have a few month backlog, but I think it's worth the wait. Once I receive mine I'll post pix, and review. I'm not expecting to arrive until Aug. so for now I'm running a stock size spare.
Happy trails
Marshall
Unread 05-06-2001, 08:24 AM   #3
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

I've got a rear bumper from Tomken and they also make a swing out rear tire carrier that mounts to the bumper. The bumper is heavy duty with tow points and a 2" receiver.
Tomken
Swing out tire carrier

or just a relocation bracket that moves the tire out from the tailgate
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2001, 10:07 AM   #4
rayray

smithbuiltYJ,
You won't be sorry you got it. There products are as tough as they come.

rayray
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2001, 09:44 PM   #5
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have the tirecarrier from SteelHorse .. of the standard design .. a bumper with 2" receiver, and a "triangle" of steel holding the tire in place. The tire carrier part swings away, then the tail gate after.

I had a couple problems with mine where the stop didn't sit right (had to make a new one), the carrier was not compatable with the stock rims (had to cut off their rim holder, weld on a new one, and make a new T-bar bolt) ..

I think that I would have been better off buying their bumper and making my own tire carrier .. I had to modify their design a couple too many ways ..
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2001, 11:19 AM   #6
scooper

you can make one for a fraction of what these makers are asking for.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2001, 12:35 PM   #7
Kamicosmos

I too am looking for a bumper/tire carrier. I have a friend who makes trailers, so I have decided to make my own based on the tomken one. Anyone who has made one before, any parts lists or plans drawnup already? I'd be willing to pay for the information just to get a headstart on it.

Dave in Kansas City, Mo
http://kamicosmos.jeepz.com
Kamicosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2001, 10:11 PM   #8
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here's one a friend of mine has built. The url below the pictures will take you to the instructions for building it. Since it splits down the middle, it does not have the same strains on the hinges that most tire carriers have. Steve will help you in any way he can building it also. I know it's safe to say you can contact him for questions if you please.

http://www.members.home.net/lafriend...0Schematic.htm
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2001, 03:07 PM   #9
JONESSJEEP

Osaburn, whats up with the link? somthing isnt right.
JONESSJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2001, 07:34 PM   #10
PakistanGuy

I got a custom made tire carrier for my 1979 Jeep Cherokee..

Much much cheeper than the market ones but you have to know what to do

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.