Build Your Own CO2 Tank System – High Quality & Lowest Cost - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Build Your Own CO2 Tank System – High Quality & Lowest Cost

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #16
1911Tyler
1977 CJ5 

If anyone wants a better price on tanks. I just ordered a spare at this place for 81$ shipped. Best price I've found yet.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Alumin...isters_p/t.htm

1911Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #17
adamkn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

1911tyler, thanks for sharing the info on the full co2 kit and spare tank. The price for that kit is the best I've seen.

As far as spare tanks, I was able to find a local co2 supplier that sells reconditioned co2 tanks. I got a 15lb tank, full of co2, for $65. Just an FYI for anyone else that may be shopping for a tank - check for local welding and beverage supply shops.
Unread 09-08-2011, 03:42 AM   #18
1911Tyler
1977 CJ5 

Very good idea. And also craigslist. If you don't care about nice shinny bottles I see them all the time on there. Me I want it to look nice so I'm paying extra for that.
1911Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #19
Jeep_tj_97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Can you guys help me to determine the size of this and if it would be a good deal?
the guy is asking for 30$ but I have no use for the kegs.

aprox dimension the guy told me 24'' high about 8'' wide, he said there a coca-cola sticker if it helps.
9248lhn_20.jpg  
Jeep_tj_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 05:16 AM   #20
monkers
2010 JK Wrangler 

If you get a used tank, who is responsible for the testing? Is it the purchaser, the seller, or the shop that fills it? Just curious, I have come across a couple but didnt want to buy one then get soaked for a expensive test or something. What is the cost of the test? Can the tanks (steel and alum) be painted, if you get a used one you could give it a rattle can spruce up no? This is a great forum, thanks for sharing all the info on this and help everyone save some cash!!
2010 Rescue Green 2 Door 6 Spd, 2.5" RK Max Travel, Fox 2.0 IFP Shocks, 37" Nitto Trail Grappler M/T, EVO Sleeves, Gussets, Mini Skids, Rock Stars, Poly Perf Long Travel Upper Shock Mounts, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Diff Covers, Grab Handles, Cobra 75WXSt, Stern Cibie/Osram Light Upgrade, Mopar Heated Seats, Trimmed Flares & Bumpers
monkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 06:23 AM   #21
adamkn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The testing/inspection only needs to be done once every 5 years. The last test date should be stamped/identified on the tank. So if you're buying a used one, try to find that one that has been tested recently. Otherwise, call the shop you'll use for refills, and hopefully they can let you know the costs for testing.

The shop I bought mine from specializes in reconditioning tanks - they'll install a new valve, do the tests, and repaint the cylinder. Mine is about 25yrs old, but looks good as new to me. So yeah you can repaint if you want.
Unread 09-21-2011, 07:47 AM   #22
Rubiconcruiser
2004 TJ Wrangler 

CO2 tanks

Hydro testing , check with a welding supply shop, if there are none in your area pm me Ill arrange the detais, usually $25.00 includes fill if tank is OK. If you have the other containers PM me as well I need them.
Rubiconcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 07:51 AM   #23
Rubiconcruiser
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This is a 20 pound tank, and I want the kegs, where can I get them. PM or phone 912 455 5065/
thanks jim
Unread 09-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #24
Rubiconcruiser
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Prices are good, but you are paying too much for the product CO2. Use a welding supply store, and REMEMBER tanks are EXCHANGED unless you want your own returned after a wait of a week or so.
Unread 09-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #25
Rubiconcruiser
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Monkers YOU are responsible for testing. Its yours be safe check dates stamped on the top of the bottle.
Unread 09-23-2011, 01:22 AM   #26
jclauson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thought i would share what i did

bartered for a tank on craigslist trading my random crap - free 20lb tank

poly performance regulator HERE - $40

poly performance hose - $14 (seems a little cheap. i would get a different hose)

but fully functional setup for 65 after shipping!

check it out
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/hysterias-90-yj-build-1190617/
jclauson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #27
adamkn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclauson
thought i would share what i did

bartered for a tank on craigslist trading my random crap - free 20lb tank

poly performance regulator HERE - $40

poly performance hose - $14 (seems a little cheap. i would get a different hose)

but fully functional setup for 65 after shipping!
Actually that would be $65 plus the value of your "random crap" that you bartered.

I'm curious to see how you have the 20lb tank mounted in your jeep.

For anyone that is not familiar with tank sizes, fyi, a 20lb tank is pretty impractical if you plan to keep it in your jeep. Way too big. Even a 15lb tank is difficult to mount or strap down because of its size and weight (45lb+ when full). I'd take a 20lb tank if it was given to me for free, but id only use it around the house, it would never end up in the jeep.
Unread 09-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #28
jclauson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkn View Post
Actually that would be $65 plus the value of your "random crap" that you bartered.

I'm curious to see how you have the 20lb tank mounted in your jeep.

For anyone that is not familiar with tank sizes, fyi, a 20lb tank is pretty impractical if you plan to keep it in your jeep. Way too big. Even a 15lb tank is difficult to mount or strap down because of its size and weight (45lb+ when full). I'd take a 20lb tank if it was given to me for free, but id only use it around the house, it would never end up in the jeep.
I don't run a back seat. I have plenty of room. I'll get a pic tomorrow of my current location. I traded a guy an old external hard drive. Trust me it wasn't worth squat.

check it out
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/hysterias-90-yj-build-1190617/
jclauson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #29
Philly
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I work in the industrial gases industry and used a co2 rig on my old jeep before i sold it to air up after hitting the trails. It is an inexpensive and economical system as opposed to an on-board compressor.

You may hear people hem and haw about how CO2 reacts with water to create carbonic acid which will, over time, degrade rubber or plastic components; but there is a very easy solution: air down at the gas station and fill back up with compressed air after leaving the trail.

ALWAYS store/transport/mount your tank in the vertical position though. The constant contact of CO2 against the poly gasket and regulator will do damage over time. It is a safety precaution, and common sense. No one wants a busted valve stem shooting a tank around in their jeep

Edit: Great post, I often wondered why more people did not utilize this system.
Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #30
adamkn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly
I work in the industrial gases industry and used a co2 rig on my old jeep before i sold it to air up after hitting the trails. It is an inexpensive and economical system as opposed to an on-board compressor.

You may hear people hem and haw about how CO2 reacts with water to create carbonic acid which will, over time, degrade rubber or plastic components; but there is a very easy solution: air down at the gas station and fill back up with compressed air after leaving the trail.

ALWAYS store/transport/mount your tank in the vertical position though. The constant contact of CO2 against the poly gasket and regulator will do damage over time. It is a safety precaution, and common sense. No one wants a busted valve stem shooting a tank around in their jeep

Edit: Great post, I often wondered why more people did not utilize this system.
Interesting point about the carbonic acid, I had never heard that before. Given how most of us abuse our tires while off-roading, I suspect that our tire treads will be worn out before we see ANY effects of the carbonic acid.

As far as the last point about keeping the tank vertical, that's certainly a good idea - but I really don't think it's necessary when transporting it occasionally for off-road trips. When transporting, the key is just making sure that it is mounted securely. And making sure the valve is protected. ( I assume everyone knows it must be vertical anytime you use the tank)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.