Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

"!BRAKE" when backing up

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  evolvah 
#1 ·
New WK2 owner here!

It has been 2 weeks since I bought a 2017 Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 HEMI. I enjoy the truck but my short experience has been damaged by two occurrences of the same glitch. When I was backing into a parking spot or backing out of my garage, the truck chimed an alarm, engaged the brakes, and showed big red "!BRAKE" on the main cluster. I hit the brake, the "!BRAKE" indication disappeared, and then I could continue backing in/out.

What was that? Is there some kind of a system that can engage brakes for me when I'm moving in reverse at 1mph or less? If so, what could trigger it?

On both occasions I did not have the parking brake engaged. I also checked the brake fluid level and it is about 1/4in above the MAX mark.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

#3 ·
Thank you for the hint, Kruzin! Yes, my JGC is equipped with "Rear ParkSense with Stop". I re-read the manual (pages 179-181) for ParkSense. It does not specifically describe my case but it does hint at the fact that the car may decide that it needs to apply brakes ("with Stop", duh!). I guess I need to be prepared for these acts of being overly cautious on the Jeep side, unless there is a way to keep the audible signals but have the "with Stop" part disabled.

#4 ·
If you look in the full (DVD) manual, there is far more info than the printed manual, including info on how to disable/override it:

The driver can override the automatic braking function
by pressing the gas pedal, turning ParkSense off via
ParkSense switch, or changing the gear while the automatic
brakes are being applied.

The automatic braking function can be enabled/
disabled from the Customer-Programmable Features
section of the Uconnect System.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.