Are brake rotors/drums usually sold singly or as pairs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Are brake rotors/drums usually sold singly or as pairs?

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #1
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Are brake rotors/drums usually sold singly or as pairs?

I need new rotors and drums and I'm pricing up different options including shipping some in from the US via Amazon or RockAuto - believe it or not that can often be a lot cheaper, even after shipping to the UK, than buying from the dealer here.

This might sound like a strange question, but are rotors and drums usually sold in pairs in the USA, or singly? In the UK, they're always sold as 2 items in one box, because of course you should never replace brake parts only on one side of an axle, so you always get 2 discs or 2 drums in the box.

E.g. Amazon.com has Raybestos drums up for $32 - will that be for a single drum or for a pair? They list the item weight as 4 pounds, but the shipping weight as 15 pounds, so that suggests that there are two drums in the box - unless they're adding 11 pounds of pure packaging for a single 4-pound drum? 7 pounds of packaging for two 4-pound drums sounds more realistic.

I did do a live chat with an Amazon CS agent, and they couldn't give me a definitive answer. Probably because the only information they've got is what is on the same webpage I was looking at.

AVR2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 05:30 AM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Every rotor & drum I have ever purchased was sold as a single part. Each part number equalled one part.

Hope this helps.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I too have only ever seen them sold as a single part. Pads/shoes on the other hand come in "sets" (you would get 4 pads in a box if you were buying front pads for a Jeep).
'04 WJ
The Past:
'83 CJ7, '92 YJ, '00 XJ, '99 TJ, '05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just did new rotors up front...one per package. The pads and shoes (when I did my rear brakes) were a set.

a rear brake drum is more than 4 pounds, from what I remember. Not 15, but undoubtedly more than 4.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

In the US drums and rotors are sold individually unless otherwise stated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.