Bought a Superwinch EPi9.0S!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Bought a Superwinch EPi9.0S!!!

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Hampster
2001 WJ 

Bought a Superwinch EPi9.0S!!!

I took the plunge and spent the extra bucks to get the EPi9.0S with the synthetic rope from the factory. Paid $756.72 delivered to my door...it's probably gonna take a few weeks to get here, but I am excited. It'd be nice if for some miraculous reason it showed up Friday so I can have it mounted for this weekend....

Unread 06-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
Good winch, but heavy...

At least with the syn rope, you'll lighten it some...
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Hampster
2001 WJ 

says it's 69 lbs installed....just out of curiousty does the synthetic rope come already installed on the drum???
Unread 06-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
RubiExpressTJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have the first generation EPi9.0 and it's a very tough reliable winch. Good choice.
Unread 06-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampster View Post
says it's 69 lbs installed....just out of curiousty does the synthetic rope come already installed on the drum???
It should - just like the wire rope.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The 80' of synthetic line does not come on the drum. You'll need to install it. Make sure you wind the line under tension before it's first pull.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
Hampster
2001 WJ 

UPS is bringing the winch today...will write my review when I get it installed
Unread 07-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Mine didnt, came in a plastic bag. You need to spool it yourself.
'04 WJ
The Past:
'83 CJ7, '92 YJ, '00 XJ, '99 TJ, '05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #9
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayRoll View Post
The 80' of synthetic line does not come on the drum. You'll need to install it. Make sure you wind the line under tension before it's first pull.
Actually, with synthetic rope you don't need to do that.

I have the same winch and love it, it blows away my old MileMarker. I just wish I had more winchline (and could afford more winchline).
Unread 07-07-2009, 12:55 AM   #10
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmeltzer View Post
Actually, with synthetic rope you don't need to do that.

Not sure where you're getting that from, but you most assuredly need to tension the synthetic before the first pull. If for no other reason than to pack the wraps so an upper layer pull doesn't sink all the way down the drum. It's not that bad for the line, but makes it a real bear to spool out for the next pull.

We've gotten some of them stuck so back we had to use another rig to pull out the line.
Unread 07-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #11
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Not sure where you're getting that from, but you most assuredly need to tension the synthetic before the first pull. If for no other reason than to pack the wraps so an upper layer pull doesn't sink all the way down the drum. It's not that bad for the line, but makes it a real bear to spool out for the next pull.

We've gotten some of them stuck so back we had to use another rig to pull out the line.
It was in the instructions that came with my winch, I will look for it when I get home.
Unread 07-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
Hampster
2001 WJ 

I can solve this^^^. UPS brought my EPi9.0S last night...in reading directions, Superwinch suggests spooling the line under tension of winching another vehicle on a level surface. My directions were packaged inside the plastic bag with the Viking winch line.
Unread 07-07-2009, 01:24 PM   #13
Hampster
2001 WJ 

mounting update.

to the subject of winch plates being compatiable with the EPi9.0: I have the Rough Country winch plate. It protrudes over the front bumper a few inches. So far the bolts intended to mount the aluminum fairlead to the plate are too large for the holes on the plate side...I'll either have to drill out the holes on the plate to widen them or just get slightly smaller bolts to fit through....I mocked up the fairlead using 2 of the 4 bolts intended to mount the winch to the down side of the plate, which seemed to work. Maybe I'll drop by Lowes and match'em up tonight.

Also regarding the plate and the standard 10" x 4.5" standard bolt pattern: On my YJ I have a stock bumper. The back 2 bolts sit behind the bumper and the front 2 sit just ahead of the bumper so that when I mount the winch up it looks as if the bottoms of the front 2 bolts will be slightly in contact with the front edge of the stock bumper. If it doesn't squeeze in there, it looks like I'll have to use a cutting wheel to notch my front bumper in 2spots. The saga continues...
Unread 07-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #14
jbramble24
1984 CJ7 

I also have the EPi 9.0 mounted on the rough country plate. If you do drill out the holes for mounting the fairlead, you may have to grind down the heads of the bolts in order to keep them from contacting the front of the winch. I opted to go with slightly smaller bolts, mounted the fairlead first (before mounting the winch to the plate), ran the bolts through from back to front (nuts on the outside/front of the fairlead) and ended up with about 1/16" clearance between the winch and fairlead bolts.
Unread 07-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
Hampster
2001 WJ 

^^this sounds like a good idea...do the bolts that hold the fairlead in place need to be Grade 8? All the bolts that came in my shipment say 8.8...but they DO NOT have the 6 lines indicating grade 8...which has me concerned

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.