Bottle jacks without saddles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Bottle jacks without saddles

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
GunmetalX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bottle jacks without saddles

I've been considering getting one of those hydraulic bottle jacks (probably from HFT) to replace my screw-type OEM unit, mainly for speed. However I notice most bottle jacks seem to just have a small cap on the end of the piston, and no saddle. How do people manage to lift vehicles with these things? I could see maybe using it against a flat surface (such as the bottom of the frame), but certainly people aren't jacking against axle tube round surfaces with these? That sounds like it would be dangerous without even a small saddle to make sure it's well-centered on top of the jack.

What am I missing?

GunmetalX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
PERK
1983 CJ7 

you got to remember the factory has to cover their behind for liability. your stupidity is a lawsuite to them. a regular bottle jack centered on the axle tube works just fine and is safe. you should add a jackstand if your going to leave it in the air for an extended time anyway.
PERK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe a welding shop could weld a little saddle onto your jack?
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.