Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Bolt-together fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit

2M views 4K replies 348 participants last post by  jscherb 
#1 ·
Earlier this year, I built a Jeep-tub trailer from the back halves of two tubs left over from my pickup projects:

The trailer has worked out great - I've already got over 2500 miles on it hauling future project parts home.

I'm very happy with the end result, but it was a challenging project at times. Even building a simple, small Jeep-tub trailer is beyond the means of most people - if you don't have a welder and some metalworking and bodywork skills, it would be tough to build this trailer or even a much simpler one.

Which got me to thinking - lots of people seem to want to have a Jeep-tub trailer to match their Jeep, what if it could be made easy for them? What if it could be a bolt-together kit? What if a set of fiberglass parts were made that would bolt together into a Jeep-style tub, and then could be bolted onto an inexpensive and readily-available trailer frame, like those from Harbor Freight?

So that's my current project. The goal is to make a "kit" of fiberglass parts that assemble easily into a trailer tub. I plan to make the kit a bolt-together one, meaning an average DIY-er could assemble a tub and trailer at home with average hand tools.

I'm in the process right now of building the molds to make the trailer tub parts. If you're interested in this project, please follow along and give me your input and ideas as I go through the project. If you've followed some of my other build projects, you know I really like to get your input and I often make changes and add features to what I'm building based on your input.

I'd especially like your input on how you'd outfit a trailer like this - like what features would you want built into it and what accessories would you want to go with it, maybe I'll build some of those features or accessories into the kit.

More to come...

Jeff

Note: I've been working on this project for the past few weeks, and I've been taking photos throughout the process. The coverage in this thread is from the beginning of the project, so some of you may have seen a few of the drawings for this project in my Safari Cab thread already. Bear with me as I document this from the start and catch up to the present so the story in this thread is complete.

See less See more
#37 ·
Really need a trailer, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Subscribed.

#38 ·
While I've been extremely pleased with my little HF type 4' trailer (see avatar picture at left), I always thought the ideal Jeep trailer size was 4'x6'. I knew HF sold a 4'x8' trailer, but I never thought I could buy one... cut the last 2' off... move the springs forward...

Damn, jscherb you are brilliant. Talk about thinking "outside the box".

I do have to mention though; even though this 4'x8' trailer (soon to be a true 4'x4') has an axle with a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern, you're not going to be able to bolt any Jeep rims to it. Once you get it put together with the 12" tires that come with it, you'll see how little space you have between the sidewall of the tires (on 4" wide rims) and the side of the frame. You'll still need a wider axle (which might be a simple bolt-on affair) to mount "Jeep" rims and tires.

Looking forward to following this project.

#39 ·
While I've been extremely pleased with my little HF type 4' trailer (see avatar picture at left), I always thought the ideal Jeep trailer size was 4'x6'. I knew HF sold a 4'x8' trailer, but I never thought I could buy one... cut the last 2' off... move the springs forward...

Damn, jscherb you are brilliant. Talk about thinking "outside the box".
I think it's a really good solution for a very affordable but higher capacity trailer than the HF "Mini" trailer. For about a hundred and twenty bucks more and you get a sturdier frame, wider track, 1720 lbs. carrying capacity and 5-on-4 1/2 bolt circle. :)

I do have to mention though; even though this 4'x8' trailer (soon to be a true 4'x4') has an axle with a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern, you're not going to be able to bolt any Jeep rims to it. Once you get it put together with the 12" tires that come with it, you'll see how little space you have between the sidewall of the tires (on 4" wide rims) and the side of the frame. You'll still need a wider axle (which might be a simple bolt-on affair) to mount "Jeep" rims and tires.
Yup, I'm aware of that, and I've got a solution for it, but I'll cover it when I get to that point in the build ;).

#41 ·
Just a wildhair, and probably not tangible to many, but I have often thought to add fold down bunks to my Wells Cargo trailer. Something to use camping/hunting. Carry all your gear and sleep in it too. Maybe an option for you?? You would have to consider ventilation as well.

#47 ·
If you're talking about the camper top on the yellow trailer, that one is still a work-in-progress. Here's a design for a sleeping platform and a slide-out kitchen for that one:

The sleeping platform us only a few inches narrower than a queen bed, so it's a pretty good size. For ventilation there are swing-up windows with screens.

#42 ·
This looks interesting. Also what top is on the black LJ in the picture above?

#45 ·
Awesome project! I always look forward to seeing your work. As for inputs, I'd like to see 4x6. I don't need 4x8, I think it's too long. 4x6 would be perfect. I say perfect because with some lift to put under the frame via leafs to even it out with the jeep there will be a much better approach and departure angle. As for what I want... Well, a 4x6 trailer that looks like a TJ tub (I'd love it out of steel only because I don't know where I'll be dragging it, but I'll take 'glass ;) ), a drop down tailgate with jeep stamped in it that I can sit on or use as a trail table. Aside from that, I'll just end up adding my own stuff. As to what I'd add, I'd put two spare mounts on it. One in front for the jeep that would rest on the tongue, one inside up front for the trailer. A tonneau would be nice. Because I don't run TJ axles, I'm going to end up putting a whole different axle under there, or running wheel spacers/adapters anyways. I've even toyed with putting a "spare" axle under my trailer, that I could scavenge in a pinch. I'd like a hard tonneau that could be propped up via folding extension pieces that would store in the back underneath. I don't care about windows. Utilitarian and rugged is the goal for me. The only reason I don't have one already is I don't have the means to make the tub portion easily. I could do the rest.

Oh, make a double reciever hitch (properly jointed for off road flex) to slide into the frame of the trailer, and into your hitch on the jeep. That way you can remove it and someone can't steal it. I've always hated how easy trailers are to steal.

#49 ·
Awesome project! I always look forward to seeing your work. As for inputs, I'd like to see 4x6. I don't need 4x8, I think it's too long. 4x6 would be perfect. I say perfect because with some lift to put under the frame via leafs to even it out with the jeep there will be a much better approach and departure angle. As for what I want... Well, a 4x6 trailer that looks like a TJ tub (I'd love it out of steel only because I don't know where I'll be dragging it, but I'll take 'glass ;) ),
I'm thinking that if these get to production, there would be at maybe 4 tub lengths that would make sense:

- 4', for the HF mini trailer frames
- 6' as you say; could be an 8' HF frame cut down like I'm going to do, or a custom frame
- 7' 5', which is the length to fit the Safari Cab Overland Camper top
- 8' 7", which is 8' side panels (the end panels are 3.5" each), this one would fit 4x8 sheets flat on the floor.

There could be other lengths too, but that's what makes sense to me.
a drop down tailgate with jeep stamped in it that I can sit on or use as a trail table.
I'm making molds for a fiberglass drop-down tailgate; more on those soon.

The tubs have a standard Jeep sized tailgate opening just like on my yellow trailer, so you could bolt up a Jeep-stamped CJ tailgate, or a YJ or TJ tailgate if you wanted.

Aside from that, I'll just end up adding my own stuff. As to what I'd add, I'd put two spare mounts on it. One in front for the jeep that would rest on the tongue, one inside up front for the trailer. A tonneau would be nice. Because I don't run TJ axles, I'm going to end up putting a whole different axle under there, or running wheel spacers/adapters anyways. I've even toyed with putting a "spare" axle under my trailer, that I could scavenge in a pinch.
I built my yellow trailer so it will accept the same spare I use for the Jeep. That way I don't have to carry two spares with me. It's very convenient to only have one spare for both. But it sounds like maybe that won't work for whatever you're running.
I'd like a hard tonneau that could be propped up via folding extension pieces that would store in the back underneath. I don't care about windows. Utilitarian and rugged is the goal for me. The only reason I don't have one already is I don't have the means to make the tub portion easily. I could do the rest.
I've done several designs for hard tonneaus, although I'm a soft tonneau fan myself. Here's one that opens either hinged at the front or hinged at the side - it can open either way, depending on how you need to access it at the moment (the hinge hardware that allows this isn't shown in this drawing):

Oh, make a double reciever hitch (properly jointed for off road flex) to slide into the frame of the trailer, and into your hitch on the jeep. That way you can remove it and someone can't steal it. I've always hated how easy trailers are to steal.
That's a useful feature. You could also swap out ball couplers for pintle couplers depending on whether your trip is on- or off-road, or one of those cool swivel couplers.

#50 ·
The only reason I'm pushing the hard tonneau, is that you could put a rack on it, and store stuff on too that won't fit inside. Unless you decide to make a rack that comes off of the frame for strength and sits over the soft tonneau.

#51 ·
The preliminary design I've done for a hard tonneau includes the capability for mounting a rack as you suggest, the drawing I posted earlier today shows a rack on top of the tonneau.

Haven't given much thought yet to an elevated cargo frame, could be an interesting idea.

#54 ·
Is there anything you can't do? lol :2thumbsup: Awesome project I would love to have jeep tub trailer.

#56 ·
Is there anything you can't do? lol :2thumbsup:
Did you read the Henry Ford quote in my signature? Jeff's version: "I think I can do whatever I think up." :laugh:

Awesome project I would love to have jeep tub trailer.
Thanks. I didn't think I'd get much use out of my yellow one, I mostly built it to get rid of some extra tubs and parts I had laying around left over from other projects, but it's turned out to be incredibly handy to have on hand.

#57 ·
It's hard to give generic answers to that, because there are so many ways people could built their trailers - different frames, tire sizes, etc.

The 4' proof-of-concept trailer I'll be building will use the HF 94564 trailer frame, which has a weight of either 162 lbs. (Shipping weight, on the HF product page), or 260 lbs. (from the assembly instructions), so I don't even know what the weight of that is :). Whatever weight it is, I'll be using only the front 4' or it, so probably 30-40 pounds need to be subtracted from whatever the correct weight is.

I would expect a 4' fiberglass trailer tub to weigh less than 100 pounds complete, so if the HF trailer is really 162 lbs (-30, say because I'm not using it all), plus 100 (on the high side) for the tub, we're only at 230 pounds. If the heavier HF number is correct, then the trailer will come in at 260-40+100 = 320 lbs., still pretty light. Add some Jeep-size tires and that's another 50-60 pounds maybe.

Easily towable by a 4 cylinder Wrangler.

#63 ·
Thanks, but oh puhleeeze, no I'm not!

What maybe is different about me is the amount of time I spend on design and planning... I find that I can build anything I can think up because even things that look difficult or impossible at first can usually be decomposed into a series of small elements and steps, none of which is particularly hard. If you string enough small elements and steps together before you know it you've done something people think takes real skill and talent :shhh:.

#64 ·
You've gotta love HF's coupon policy... today I bought their 4x8 1720-lb. capacity heavy duty trailer to serve as a base for building the proof-of-concept trailer. Regular price is $429.99, it was on sale for $399.99. They accepted the 20% off coupon on it bringing the price down to $319.99 - a very reasonable price for a trailer with that capacity. The frame is made from heavier gauge steel than their folding 4x8 and their 4' trailers; it's got a sturdy tube axle instead of the sheet metal c-channel axle of the lighter trailers; it's got a 5 on 4 1/2" bolt circle (the others are 4-on-something), and a 2" coupler.

It's going to make an awesome 4'x4' trailer frame to put the proof-of-concept tub on.

Also on the same 20% off coupon I picked up an 18" receiver tube to mount on the back of the trailer frame - so the trailer can support bike racks, etc. That is normally something like $24.99, on sale now for $15.99, with the coupon $12.79.

#65 ·
i want one of these in 8 foot!

#66 ·
OK, I may be a little bit different than the rest of the jeep forum guys.
I've been thinking about this for a while.
I was originally thinking about getting a pop up an gutting it.
I am very invested in tents at this point, I also have a camp chef stove. (huge)
I live in the north east, so overland is kind of out of the question. (not that there is anything wrong with that)
The 4x8 is a great platform. I don't need the tent platform. I have tents.
I have a tj and a family of 4, I just want the means to take them camping at state parks in my jeep.
Car racks and bike racks work for me too.

Not hard core but utility. for my needs that is what works.

Thank you for putting this package together. I like that I can get it in increments. Trailer, then kit.

What about a place to store 20lb propane tanks on the toungue?

#67 ·
Thank you for putting this package together. I like that I can get it in increments. Trailer, then kit.
An important part of my design and plan for this kit is that you can build it in pieces as you can afford it. Get the frame first and get that all assembled and running. Then add a basic fiberglass tub kit. Then add a tailgate. Then add a soft tonneau or a hard tonneau. Then upgrade the axle and larger tires. Then add other accessories... so instead of dropping $2000-3000 or more all at once for a pre-built off-road trailer, you can build this one in increments of a couple hundred dollars, and also end up spending far less than you would on a pre-built trailer. Plus you'll have the fun of planning your build, upgrading as you go, and watching your project develop into a very capable and useful trailer at a budget price.

What about a place to store 20lb propane tanks on the toungue?
Here's one idea for tongue storage - reaching into the HF goodie bag again - how about their 66983 "500 Lb. Capacity Deluxe Cargo Carrier"?

If would fit very nicely on the tongue of the HF 4x8 trailers, here's my attempt at "digitally installing" the rack on the tongue:

Probably for this application you'd bolt the rack together without the center receiver tube.

These things are usually on sale for $79.99, so minus the 20% coupon they're $59.99. Or you could go with the slightly smaller 67623 rack, it's very similar to the one pictured above but a little smaller, often on sale for $39.99, minus 20% it's $31.99.

BTW I've used these racks for other projects before... I used two of the smaller $32.99 racks to make this rack basket, total outlay, including the lights and Hi-Lift mount was about $100:

Wow, I don't really mean to sound like an HF salesman, but they do have a bunch of things that are useful for this project :laugh:.

#69 ·
Awsome concept you have here. Just a thought, what about the option of a full width tailgate, either swing or drop. That way a atv, riding mower, things of that nature could be loaded.

#70 ·
I've thought about that as a "phase 2" option, here's an early concept drawing I did with a wider tailgate...

"Phase 2" meaning, if these get to market, and demand is good, then doing the mold work for a different tailgate and tub tailgate end panel might worthwhile to do so people could have another option for their trailers.

As long as we're talking tailgates... a while back I also made a prototype drop-down tailgate with an integrated TJ latch mechanism, the one in the photo below is the standard 36" width, but the same modifications could be made into a 48" version:

I was thinking the one above could be done in fiberglass and would be a cool swap for a TJ - you could have CJ drop-down styling and functionality with TJ latch and lock convenience :).

#71 ·
For the utility of the trailer and multi-use capability.

Having a shorter axle and wide tailgate could allow for a 4x8 sheet hauling for on road application. One could use 2x6 cross bracing like 6 ft. bed pickup trucks to keep height over the wheel wells for 4x8 sheet hauling.

Maintaining that shorter width axle keeps the trailer in the off-road camping arena. At least that's what I am leaning toward on my trailer build.

#72 ·
IMO, keeping the rear of the trailer the same and making the whole rear panel swing vs moving the tail lights to the fender flares would look better, remember just another point of view.

#76 ·
I think that's probably a compliment, so thank you, but I'm not totally sure - you do know he died a few days ago, right? He wasn't that much older than I am :(

#79 ·
This might be the single most impressive piece of equipment I've been able to afford (assuming your estimates are fairly accurate) for my rig in quite some time. I'm ridiculously impressed and would buy that today if it were available.

Now... stupid question... how do I crawl/subscribe a thread? :)

#83 ·
I got a PM this afternoon with a question about M416 military trailers. Since others might be interested, I'll answer it here instead of privately.

If your proposed trailer tub will fit a M416 frame, then I may be interested in buying one sooner rather than later.

There are a lot of M416, and similar variants, trailers out there. Mine, for example, is from 1949. While it's in great shape, it's now in need of significant metal work. There are many others in my situation.

Sierra trailers offers a replacement metal tub for ~$1,500, and to the best of my knowledge, that's the only option available.

So there is some form of existing market looking for a cheaper bolt-on alternative, but the dimensions would have to be similar. From the pictures you posted, your tub height looks short.

When I was shopping for a trailer years ago, I came across every variant of the M416 you could imagine. There was one civilian version that had a shorter bed height compared to the standard M416. Your trailer looks identical to that one. If you find the time, can you post your bed dimensions compared to a M416? Here's a good drawing with M416 specs: http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/151174-m416-dimensions-specs.html
I haven't specifically designed the tub to fit the M416 frame, but I dropped a drawing of a 6' version of the tub on a same-scale drawing of the M416, and here's the result:

I don't know anything about the M416 frame, so I can't give a conclusive answer, but the drawing would suggest that the fiberglass tub may be able to be adapted to the M416 frame.

#84 ·
I got a PM this afternoon with a question about M416 military trailers. Since others might be interested, I'll answer it here instead of privately.

I haven't specifically designed the tub to fit the M416 frame, but I dropped a drawing of a 6' version of the tub on a same-scale drawing of the M416, and here's the result:

I don't know anything about the M416 frame, so I can't give a conclusive answer, but the drawing would suggest that the fiberglass tub may be able to be adapted to the M416 frame.
Here's one option:

http://www.kaiserwillys.com/product/1718/willys-jeep-body-trailer-pickup-bed-parts-accessories

I can't vouch for the quality of the product though having never seen it in person, but they might sell the trailer tub separately.

I wish someone would make a reproduction Army Jeep Trailer Tub in diamond plate in a mini-trailer version. There are companies that make large diamond plate hunting dog cages for pick-ups that could bend and weld aluminum into a trailer tub, although it's usually the shipping cost that runs the final cost up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.