Bolt-together fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit - Page 190 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Bolt-together fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #2836
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

This photo was taken just before the black trailer was towed away by its happy new owner...

Tom's a really nice guy, and we're already planning a fiberglass project we're going to do together. Stay tuned for that and for all the cool things Tom's going to do with the trailer.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #2837
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to see it going to such an enthusiastic jeeper who will put it to good use!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #2838
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Glad to see it going to such an enthusiastic jeeper who will put it to good use!
I expect cool things from him - you've seen his drawings already for a bike rack, and he's working on a kayak rack that fits along with the bikes. He's an engineer, so I think he'll come up with some really good designs that other people will use as examples for their own builds.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 07-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #2839
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Another nice Dinoot build.

Looks like it's on a Harbor Freight style frame built similar to the way I built mine with a receiver in the front for swapping couplers. The frame is black, so either he painted over the HF red, although perhaps it's one of these black trailers: http://www.deiequipment.com/armor-re...ler-black.html

Nice use of armor on the rear corners, I haven't seen his Jeep but I'm guessing he has the same armor on his Jeep.

He's also got the Dinoot tonneau cover on it.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 07-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #2840
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you're building a Dinoot or an M72 trailer, and your plans include both a Jeep CJ drop-down tailgate and a hard cover for a tent or cargo carrier, one problem you'll be faced with is that the latches for the CJ tailgates are on the inside, which means if a hard cover is closed, there's no way to unlatch the tailgate without opening the cover. To help with that problem, I've started a thread showing a number of different ways to adapt CJ tailgates to exterior latches: http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-309.html

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 07-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #2841
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Here's a Dinoot build with a frame-mounted rack for an tent. And a custom rack for lots of fuel too, wow, 25 gallons! Maybe some is water, but I don't know, all the cans are more or less the same color.

And this one's a Dinoot Extended, also with a high tent rack:

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 07-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #2842
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
Here's a Dinoot build with a frame-mounted rack for an tent. And a custom rack for lots of fuel too, wow, 25 gallons! Maybe some is water, but I don't know, all the cans are more or less the same color.

And this one's a Dinoot Extended, also with a high tent rack:

Jeff

do you know upon what frames those were built? Were they HF?

Thanks,

john
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #2843
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
Jeff

do you know upon what frames those were built? Were they HF?

Thanks,

john
Don't know about the first photo (the Compact), it looks like a custom welded frame, but pretty sure the second one (the Extended) is on an HF frame, notice the red bit of frame in the wheel opening?

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 07-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #2844
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Update to the Harbor Freight frame conversion plans for either the Jeep-tub trailer or the military trailer... if you carry things in the rear receiver that exert a strong rotational motion on the receiver (looking from the rear of the trailer, a clockwise or counterclockwise force), like a very wide cargo carrier, or a very tall bicycle carrier with 4 bikes, you may find that due to the some flex in the HF c-channels there's a small bit of side-to-side sway in the load you've got in the receiver.

Here's a strength improvement if that's an issue - a 16" long, 1" wide piece of 1/8" steel strip stock, bent as shown. In the center it's secured with the bolt that holds the receiver/center backbone to the rear frame crossmember, and on each side it's bolted to the rear crossmember.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 07-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #2845
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I saw a question in another elsewhere about replacement bearings and hubs for the Harbor Freight frames. I answered the question there, but I'll repeat the answer here since I've used HF frames under both of the trailers in this thread.

You could order replacements from HF, since the bearings are metric, but it's a lot easier than that.

The spec for the HF bearings is 30205 Taper Wheel Bearings, 25mm i.d. x 52mm o. d. x 16.25mm thick. Here's a link to replacement bearings on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/30205-Taper-Wh...keywords=30205

Many/maybe most 2000-lb. or less trailer axles have 1" spindles. I have a pair of spare Dexter 1250-lb. (each) hubs here, the bearings are 1" I.D. The spindles that came with the Dexter hubs measure 0.980 O.D.

The Harbor Freight spindle measures 0.979, which is only 0.001 less than the Dexter spindle. (25mm is 0.984 BTW). Because trailer bearings/spindles are designed for an easy slip fit, and because there's only one thousandth of an inch difference in the spindle diameters, hubs designed for 1" axles will fit very nicely on the Harbor Freight axles. In the photo below a Dexter hub with 1" I.D. bearings is on the HF axle; the HF hub in on the floor. It's a very good fit, if you didn't know the Dexter bearings were 1" and the HF axle was 25mm, you'd never be able to tell when you installed the Dexter hub on the HF axle.

1250-lb. hubs can be bought complete with bearings/seal/cap/lug nuts for around $35, here's one: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2391_200442391. I wouldn't hesitate to use one of those hubs on a Harbor Freight axle based on my fit test.

Swapping to the US-spec hubs has another benefit, it would get you 1/2x20 lugs, which are the same as the Wrangler. The HF hubs have 12.5mm lugs.

And another benefit would be that you'd be able to pick up replacement bearings for the US-spec hubs anywhere, the metric bearings can be harder to find (and the metric outside diameter of the bearing is important for fitting it into the hub, US-spec 1" I.D. trailer bearings won't fit properly in HF hubs.

BTW, the HF 4-on-4 hubs used on the lighter-duty trailers and the HF 4-on-5.5 hubs used on the 1720-lb. capacity trailer both have bearings with 25mm I.D. This means that the hubs I linked to above could be used to upgrade a 4-on-4 HF axle to a 4-on-5.5 (same as the TJ/YJ Wranglers). Be careful about larger tires though, because the lighter capacity HF frames have sheet metal u-channel axles, while the 1720-lb. capacity HF frame has a much stronger tube axle.

Edit: One more thing about putting US-spec hubs on the HF axles - the inner oil seals on the US hubs may not seal well enough on the HF axles, so you should check them when you're installing the hubs. Most US-spec 1" O.D. axle spindles have 1.25" O.D. sections for the oil seals, and the HF axles are 1.18" where the oil seals run (30mm), so the US-spec seals may or may seal well enough, depends on the particular seals.

Most U.S.-spec 1.25" I.D. trailer seals are 1.98" OD, which right about 50mm, so you might want to replace the US-spec oil seal with a 50mm O.D./30mm I/D. metric one for a better fit. Here's one: http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Spring-L...50+mm+oil+seal

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 07-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #2846
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I saw a question in another elsewhere about replacement bearings and hubs for the Harbor Freight frames. I answered the question there, but I'll repeat the answer here since I've used HF frames under both of the trailers in this thread.

You could order replacements from HF, since the bearings are metric, but it's a lot easier than that.

The spec for the HF bearings is 30205 Taper Wheel Bearings, 25mm i.d. x 52mm o. d. x 16.25mm thick. Here's a link to replacement bearings on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/30205-Taper-Wh...keywords=30205

Many/maybe most 2000-lb. or less trailer axles have 1" spindles. I have a pair of spare Dexter 1250-lb. (each) hubs here, the bearings are 1" I.D. The spindles that came with the Dexter hubs measure 0.980 O.D.

The Harbor Freight spindle measures 0.979, which is only 0.001 less than the Dexter spindle. (25mm is 0.984 BTW). Because trailer bearings/spindles are designed for an easy slip fit, and because there's only one thousandth of an inch difference in the spindle diameters, hubs designed for 1" axles will fit very nicely on the Harbor Freight axles. In the photo below a Dexter hub with 1" I.D. bearings is on the HF axle; the HF hub in on the floor. It's a very good fit, if you didn't know the Dexter bearings were 1" and the HF axle was 25mm, you'd never be able to tell when you installed the Dexter hub on the HF axle.

1250-lb. hubs can be bought complete with bearings/seal/cap/lug nuts for around $35, here's one: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2391_200442391. I wouldn't hesitate to use one of those hubs on a Harbor Freight axle based on my fit test.

Swapping to the US-spec hubs has another benefit, it would get you 1/2x20 lugs, which are the same as the Wrangler. The HF hubs have 12.5mm lugs.

And another benefit would be that you'd be able to pick up replacement bearings for the US-spec hubs anywhere, the metric bearings can be harder to find (and the metric outside diameter of the bearing is important for fitting it into the hub, US-spec 1" I.D. trailer bearings won't fit properly in HF hubs.

BTW, the HF 4-on-4 hubs used on the lighter-duty trailers and the HF 4-on-5.5 hubs used on the 1720-lb. capacity trailer both have bearings with 25mm I.D. This means that the hubs I linked to above could be used to upgrade a 4-on-4 HF axle to a 4-on-5.5 (same as the TJ/YJ Wranglers). Be careful about larger tires though, because the lighter capacity HF frames have sheet metal u-channel axles, while the 1720-lb. capacity HF frame has a much stronger tube axle.
I used the link and tried to find a 5x5 pattern to fit JK wheels but I couldn't find one :-(.

I was thinking this would be a good solution for someone who wants to share the spare.

John
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #2847
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
I used the link and tried to find a 5x5 pattern to fit JK wheels but I couldn't find one :-(.

I was thinking this would be a good solution for someone who wants to share the spare.

John
I've only seen 5-on-5 hubs in larger bearing sizes for 3500-lb. axles: http://kmtparts.com/3-5k-axle-5on-5-...4-spindle.html

But I have seen adapters that go from 5-on-4.5 to 5-on-5, so that's the way to go, especially if you're building a Dinoot or M72 because you'll likely need to run spacers anyway to clear the frame/tub with JK wheels.

But from the same guys linked above, you can buy a complete 5-on-5 3500-lb. axle for $122.99 plus $5 extra for the 5-on-5 hubs, which isn't much more than the price of two quality adapters. Here's the axle, they'll make it up to whatever length and spring seat distance you need: http://kmtparts.com/axles-spring-mou...55-4-drop.html You'd probably also need some larger u-bolts/plates to bolt it to the HF springs, but those aren't expensive.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 07-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #2848
Bishop1975
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Will these work; http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2392_200442392 or this one; http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5118_200365118
Bishop1975 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #2849
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop1975 View Post
No, both of those have 1 1/16" I.D. outer bearings and 1 3/8" I.D. inner bearings. What's needed to fit on the HF spindles are hubs with 1" I.D. bearings in both positions.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #2850
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
I've only seen 5-on-5 hubs in larger bearing sizes for 3500-lb. axles: http://kmtparts.com/3-5k-axle-5on-5-...4-spindle.html

But I have seen adapters that go from 5-on-4.5 to 5-on-5, so that's the way to go, especially if you're building a Dinoot or M72 because you'll likely need to run spacers anyway to clear the frame/tub with JK wheels.

But from the same guys linked above, you can buy a complete 5-on-5 3500-lb. axle for $122.99 plus $5 extra for the 5-on-5 hubs, which isn't much more than the price of two quality adapters. Here's the axle, they'll make it up to whatever length and spring seat distance you need: http://kmtparts.com/axles-spring-mou...55-4-drop.html You'd probably also need some larger u-bolts/plates to bolt it to the HF springs, but those aren't expensive.
Thanks for the links and information. Looks like you could get the the cheapest HF 4x8 trailer (Haul-Master - Item#42709) and a custom axle that wouldn't need the wheel spacers or re-positioned spring perches for about the same cost as just the heavy duty trailer. All you would need are the hub face and spring center distances. Based on some of your drawings earlier in the thread, it looks like the spring center distance would be 43" (on a 44" wide frame). Do you happen to know the hub face distance (including the wheel spacers) for running jeep wheels on these trailers?

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.