Bolt-together fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit - Page 160 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Bolt-together fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #2386
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

And a few with the new tub's "older brother", the Jeep-tub Dinoot trailer...

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #2387
SSRx7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great, Jeff! Glad you are able to use your shoulder without the sling again. Of course, I don't think that making fiberglass panels is the type of therapy the Doc had in mind, but I bet it works just as good,
SSRx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #2388
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRx7 View Post
Looks great, Jeff! Glad you are able to use your shoulder without the sling again. Of course, I don't think that making fiberglass panels is the type of therapy the Doc had in mind, but I bet it works just as good,
Thank you. I'd estimate I'm at about 80% range of motion and 80% strength, which the doctor says is very good. Therapy should get me the rest of the way. He's also cleared me to drive offroad at Easter Jeep Safari in Moab next week...

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #2389
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Today I'll be mounting a tailgate in the military tub tailgate panel. I'm planning to go with a CJ-style drop-down, I'll probably use this aftermarket fiberglass logo-free one:

Here are a few other options...

A factory CJ tailgate with logo:

A Dinoot smooth tailgate, set up as a drop-down:

The Dinoot smooth tailgate above is set up with inside latches, but most Dinoot tailgates would be set up with outside latches/locks as shown in the one below, set up as a side-swing:

In both cases, the Dinoot smooth tailgate shown above uses CJ-style tailgate hinges.

A Jeep Wrangler factory tailgate:

The hinges shown on the Wrangler tailgate above are aftermarket ones, but I've also shown a YJ hinge for comparison because the TJ Wrangler tailgate hinges are pretty wide. An an angle bracket would be necessary (shown on the 4' M48 version of the tub, which back when I did this drawing I was calling the Mini-M416) for the tub side of the lower hinge :

The Wrangler tailgate is fairly heavy, and when open has a lot of leverage, so if one were to use that it might be a good idea to add some extra reinforcement to the tailgate panel.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #2390
xtreme4li
2006 LJ Wrangler 

This thing is shaping up great!!!! Do want!

Jeff yet again looks sick!
xtreme4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #2391
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme4li View Post
This thing is shaping up great!!!! Do want!
Thanks! Everything is coming together according to plan, I'm very pleased with how it's all fitting and assembling.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #2392
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Here are a few photos of the fiberglass military tub with a tailgate installed.

You can see by all the vise-grips that I haven't bolted the tub together yet, that's next on the agenda. I'll do a little final trimming/fitting of the panels, and then I'll drill holes and bolt everything together. And yes, I still haven't washed the mold release off, it's been snowing here, so it's not the ideal time to be outside with the hose washing things.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #2393
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A few photos with the tailgate open. I still have to make up some brackets for the tub end of the support cables, I'll get to that later.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 03-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #2394
FLCJ-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
Here are a few photos of the fiberglass military tub with a tailgate installed.

I noticed that the slope of the top edge of the tailgate does not match the flat top of the tub.
Are you planning on a different tailgate with a flat top, or some other option?
FLCJ-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #2395
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCJ-8 View Post
I noticed that the slope of the top edge of the tailgate does not match the flat top of the tub.
Are you planning on a different tailgate with a flat top, or some other option?
If a company decides to bring this kit to market, I'll let them decide if they think a custom tailgate would sell enough compared to the many very affordable Jeep tailgate options to be worth doing. Having made the original Dinoot smooth tailgate, I'd say a tailgate with a flat top could easily be built in the same way, and it would cost about the same as the Dinoot smooth tailgate.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #2396
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The next items on the military tub kit project plan are to final trim and drill the tub panels to bolt the tub together, and then pick up a Harbor Freight 94564 1720-lb. capacity 4x8 trailer, modify it to be the correct size for the tub, and mount the tub on it.

But before I do that, I'm going to hop in one of the Jeeps and go to Easter Jeep Safari in Moab, Utah. Well ok, it's a little more than a "hop in the Jeep" type trip, it's just under 2,000 miles from where I live to Moab. Anyway, obviously I won't be able to make any construction progress on the project while I'm away, but I do have a bunch of design/configuration ideas and drawings I haven't posted yet, so I'll be doing updates in this thread while I'm on the trip.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 03-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #2397
moemuledeer
1956 CJ6 

Road trip with Dinoot to SC

I was selected to get one of the first Safari Cab tops. Spent a few evenings getting the trailer ready so I can bring the stock top back. Dinoot extended model on modified Harbor Freight frame with tonneau cover. The top should clamp right on. Calif to SC should be a good test for the trailer. I did put 300# of baged sand so to minimize the bouncing of the empty trailer.
image.jpg  
moemuledeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #2398
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I haven't gotten any work done on the military trailer project in the last few days because I'm in the process of driving from home in upstate NY to Moab, Utah for the East Jeep Safari. But today I did do something for the project - on my way through Iowa I stopped at a Blaine's Farm & Fleet store and at a Menards home center store; I used to go to them all the time when I lived in Illinois. I picked a bunch of stuff to build a "TSC 3-Axis Coupler" for the prototype military trailer.

The ball mount/ball/hitch pin combo was only $9.99, and the tractor parts were about half what they cost at Tractor Supply. I spent just over $20 on what's in the picture above.

My "TSC" 3-Axis coupler design is so-named because most of the parts can be found at places like Tractor Supply (or Blaine's, or anywhere else that carries farm and tractor parts, and typically the complete 3-Axis can be built for less than $50. Here are a few photos of a finished TSC 3-Axis:

The first one I built has worked out so well, I've been thinking about building a second one to go with the military trailer prototype. I've got many of the other parts already in my parts bin at home, so with the parts I picked up today, I've got almost everything necessary for a second one.

I covered the design and construction of the TSC 3-Axis earlier in this thread, but I've also consolidated all of the information in its own thread to make it easier for people who want to find out more or build one themselves: http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-65.html

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 03-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #2399
PeterSyz
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Jeff, I want to start out by saying, fantastic work!! Everything you do is very professional, from the concept drawings to the final product, everything is exceptional.

I have read through about half of the thread and maybe you can direct me if it has been said already but have you ever done a concept where the entire back drops down? That way you could load, let's say a 4 wheeler or a small tractor into the bed. The whole time I've been reading through the thread, I kept thinking about how limited the stock tailgate opening is, being so small. I saw the sketch of the 48" tailgate and it was done really well but why not drop the whole back piece and get as much room as possible like a pickup tailgate?

Correct me if I'm being ignorant, just a thought from somebody who rides 4 wheelers and wanted a hybrid jeep tub trailer/toy hauler.

EDIT: This idea being applied to the CJ/YJ/TJ style trailer and not one of the newer military style ones you've been working on.
PeterSyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #2400
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSyz View Post
Jeff, I want to start out by saying, fantastic work!! Everything you do is very professional, from the concept drawings to the final product, everything is exceptional.
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSyz View Post
I have read through about half of the thread and maybe you can direct me if it has been said already but have you ever done a concept where the entire back drops down? That way you could load, let's say a 4 wheeler or a small tractor into the bed. The whole time I've been reading through the thread, I kept thinking about how limited the stock tailgate opening is, being so small. I saw the sketch of the 48" tailgate and it was done really well but why not drop the whole back piece and get as much room as possible like a pickup tailgate?

Correct me if I'm being ignorant, just a thought from somebody who rides 4 wheelers and wanted a hybrid jeep tub trailer/toy hauler.

EDIT: This idea being applied to the CJ/YJ/TJ style trailer and not one of the newer military style ones you've been working on.
You could eliminate the rear panel entirely, and fabricate a simple custom full-width tailgate. You'd probably want to do some bracing along the rear vertical bolt flanges of the side panel to help prevent the sides from flexing outward, and perhaps that bracing would continue across the back of the floor to provide a place to bolt the hinges, but it would be pretty straightforward. Might look like the drawing below (which doesn't shown the bracing I mentioned):

But there's one other thing you'd want to do in order to load the cargo you mentioned... the standard Dinoot inner fenders are fairly wide, to allow the trailer track width to be roughly the same as the track width of the Wrangler. I'm not at home now, so I can't measure it, but I think there's about 43" between the inner fenders. So you'd want to narrow the inner fenders to about 5" wide so that you'd end up with 49" between them. I don't have a Dinoot photo handy that shows the space between the inner fenders too well, but compare these two trailers and their inner fenders - the yellow trailer has 5" wide inners and 49" between them; the black Dinoot has about 40" between the inner fenders:

Narrowing the inner fenders would require increasing the track width slightly over the Wrangler track width as I did when I built the yellow trailer, otherwise the sidewalls will rub on the inner fenders.

You could even widen the track width so the tires sat completely outside the tub sides, and then you wouldn't need any inner fenders at all. When I was first building the yellow trailer, I mocked up that idea (this photo was taken before I cut out the original Wrangler inner fenders; the red fenders I've set on the outside of the tub are from the Retro Wrangler pickup in the earlier photo). The fiberglass inner fenders bonded to the inside of the side panels to add necessary rigidity to the tub, so if you did something like the photo below, you'd probably want to add some additional structure inside the tub.

But in summary, yes, it's very possible and I don't think it would be too difficult to do.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.