Bolt-together fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Bolt-together fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Bolt-together fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit

Earlier this year, I built a Jeep-tub trailer from the back halves of two tubs left over from my pickup projects:

The trailer has worked out great - I've already got over 2500 miles on it hauling future project parts home.

I'm very happy with the end result, but it was a challenging project at times. Even building a simple, small Jeep-tub trailer is beyond the means of most people - if you don't have a welder and some metalworking and bodywork skills, it would be tough to build this trailer or even a much simpler one.

Which got me to thinking - lots of people seem to want to have a Jeep-tub trailer to match their Jeep, what if it could be made easy for them? What if it could be a bolt-together kit? What if a set of fiberglass parts were made that would bolt together into a Jeep-style tub, and then could be bolted onto an inexpensive and readily-available trailer frame, like those from Harbor Freight?

So that's my current project. The goal is to make a "kit" of fiberglass parts that assemble easily into a trailer tub. I plan to make the kit a bolt-together one, meaning an average DIY-er could assemble a tub and trailer at home with average hand tools.

I'm in the process right now of building the molds to make the trailer tub parts. If you're interested in this project, please follow along and give me your input and ideas as I go through the project. If you've followed some of my other build projects, you know I really like to get your input and I often make changes and add features to what I'm building based on your input.

I'd especially like your input on how you'd outfit a trailer like this - like what features would you want built into it and what accessories would you want to go with it, maybe I'll build some of those features or accessories into the kit.

More to come...

Jeff

Note: I've been working on this project for the past few weeks, and I've been taking photos throughout the process. The coverage in this thread is from the beginning of the project, so some of you may have seen a few of the drawings for this project in my Safari Cab thread already. Bear with me as I document this from the start and catch up to the present so the story in this thread is complete.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
crusher242
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Way too cool!
Unread 10-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
greene69
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Trade you my f150 and trailer for that. The coolest thing i've seen.
greene69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

thats freaking awesome. I already started my trailer....doh...
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
joshhtfld
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well Unlimited04 ur build gave me inspiration to do one this up coming summer but looks like my plans might change to modifying a 4x8 with this and 35s on it
joshhtfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
02OlllllllOTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

this is gona be awesome, guess i have to start saving as of right now!
Unread 10-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshhtfld View Post
Well Unlimited04 ur build gave me inspiration to do one this up coming summer but looks like my plans might change to modifying a 4x8 with this and 35s on it
In the photos of the yellow trailer in the first post, it's got 30x9.50-15's on it, so maybe you can gauge how big 35's might look . The largest I've tried on that trailer so far are 32's (265/75-16's).

I'm making the molds for the tub side panels so that they can be used to build sides of any length up to 8' (resulting in an 8' 7" long trailer tub), but by using "dams" in the mold, side panels of any shorter length can be made. For example, to go along with the $200 Harbor Freight mini-trailer frame, short side panels could be made for a 4' long trailer tub:

Eight foot long panels could be made to result in a trailer that could carry 4x8 sheets flat on the floor. Or panels roughly 7' long would be used to make a trailer tub that's the right size to fit the modular Safari Overland Camper top (here's the prototype work in progress, no windows yet):

Either an 8' tub or the slightly shorter one for the camper top would fit nicely on the 4x8 Harbor Freight Trailer frame:

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 10-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
joshhtfld
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
In the photos of the yellow trailer in the first post, it's got 30x9.50-15's on it, so maybe you can gauge how big 35's might look . The largest I've tried on that trailer so far are 32's (265/75-16's).

I'm making the molds for the tub side panels so that they can be used to build sides of any length up to 8' (resulting in an 8' 7" long trailer tub), but by using "dams" in the mold, side panels of any shorter length can be made. For example, to go along with the $200 Harbor Freight mini-trailer frame, short side panels could be made for a 4' long trailer tub:

Eight foot long panels could be made to result in a trailer that could carry 4x8 sheets flat on the floor. Or panels roughly 7' long would be used to make a trailer tub that's the right size to fit the modular Safari Overland Camper top (here's the prototype work in progress, no windows yet):

Either an 8' tub or the slightly shorter one for the camper top would fit nicely on the 4x8 Harbor Freight Trailer frame:

It will take a little work but with the right mods to it, its possible. I'm just using the frame and your tub kit as reference, axle lift and tires on it will be a build thread of my own.
joshhtfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
0blcktj6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Can you or someone upload the pics to JF? I can't see photobucket and I'm pretty intrigued by this..

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/v...ck-now-908246/
0blcktj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

subscribed
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #11
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's going to look awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #12
LesterM
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I like the hard top over the toneau cover.
I would like to see a trailer hitch on something like that for a bike rack.
there are also Thule and Yakima stuff that could be attached to the roof rack.
Unread 10-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #13
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Where did you get the bed for your pickup?

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 04:54 AM   #14
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterM View Post
I like the hard top over the toneau cover.
Do you mean the camper top on the yellow trailer, or a hard tonneau type cover?

Those tops can be made pretty much any length as well, the mold design allows that, so even a 4' trailer could have a hardtop like the one on the yellow trailer.
Quote:
I would like to see a trailer hitch on something like that for a bike rack.
A hitch receiver on the rear crossmember of the trailer might be a good idea, thanks for the idea.
Quote:
there are also Thule and Yakima stuff that could be attached to the roof rack.
If you're talking about the roof rack on the camper top, I used a factory XJ Cherokee rack on that one, so all of the aftermarket accessories that fit the Cherokee will fit that rack on the trailer. Here's a photo of the camper top before it was primed, I've got a roof basket on it:

I put rear-facing lights on that roof basket to illuminate the campground area (although some smaller LED lights would probably be more appropriate for that application); also you can see a prototype rack access ladder on the back.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 10-10-2011, 05:00 AM   #15
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
Where did you get the bed for your pickup?
The bed on the red pickup is reproduction sheet metal for a 41/46 Chevy from a company called Mar-K. The Jeep-logo tailgate with the Wrangler latch on it is custom fabrication based on a reproduction 41/46 Chevy tailgate. The rear fenders are custom, I designed them from scratch and made molds; the fenders are molded in fiberglass.

The bed floor is a high-end composite decking product called TimberTech. Looks like wood but is maintenance free:

Now back on topic...

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.