BFG km2 vs. goodyear mtr w/ kevlar vs. pitbull rocker - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > BFG km2 vs. goodyear mtr w/ kevlar vs. pitbull rocker

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
dlvsdh
1995 ZJ 

BFG km2 vs. goodyear mtr w/ kevlar vs. pitbull rocker

what the title says in a 37x12.50 17. i dont mind road noise i want good tread life. and in washington we get rain and snow. so im also going for wet road conditions thanks.

Unread 11-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would suggest either the KM2s or MTRs in your situation. And the final decision would come down to the kind of terrain you wheel in. If you like rocks I would go with the MTRs.
scifone is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have pit bill rocker radials. They are quiet for the first 1500-2000 miles and then after that they start do have a noticeable him starting at 35mph. Pit bulls have a hard compound and I have tested them in rocks and mud(up to 2 feet) and they preform great. I would think that they would float too much and be to wide to be any good in snow.

If I were to do it again I'd go with the MTR kevlars but that's just because my jeep sees a lot of highway these days.

If you do 50% or more offloading with your jeep then go with pitbull rockers hands down.
inglisleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifone
I would suggest either the KM2s or MTRs in your situation. And the final decision would come down to the kind of terrain you wheel in. If you like rocks I would go with the MTRs.
Km2's SUCK in the snow...x2 MTR
inglisleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

KM2's do decent in the snow off-road. Hard packed snow on the road is another animal. I love my KM2's but everyone gets a boner over the MTR-K's (they do look sooo good). I don't get it personally. But...the PBR's look sweet. None should do exceptional in snow on the highway.
Unread 11-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
dlvsdh
1995 ZJ 

I wheel in rocks dirt mud and snow. I'm leaning towards the mtrs now. For tire wear witch one do you guys think is the better of the three
Unread 11-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
LilSteve97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would go with the MTR, i think the KM2's tread is to shallow with the 37. PBR are sweet, but the bias measure so short. I think the radial measure more true. Finding tires of any make may be difficult at the moment though from what i've heard.
LilSteve97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The tighter center tread piece on the MTRs makes a pretty huge difference in rain and snow. I went from pro comp muds to the MTRs and the increase in traction is noticeable (I did some parking lot tests as well). Of course you have to be careful in hard pack/ice, but it doesn't matter what tire you have, you should always be careful on ice.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93
The tighter center tread piece on the MTRs makes a pretty huge difference in rain and snow. I went from pro comp muds to the MTRs and the increase in traction is noticeable (I did some parking lot tests as well). Of course you have to be careful in hard pack/ice, but it doesn't matter what tire you have, you should always be careful on ice.
...was the parking lot test when we had 2 inches of snow this year? I'm confused?
Unread 11-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup

...was the parking lot test when we had 2 inches of snow this year? I'm confused?
We got a foot the first storm and 10 inches the second... Our neighborhood doesn't get plowed and there are some small private business lots that don't plow.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 12:09 AM   #11
dlvsdh
1995 ZJ 

the tighter tread pattern was what i was thinking so ill think ill get the mtrs ive always liked them
Unread 11-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

For best wear, BFG's KM2 is going to be tought to beat. The MT/R is the better/stronger offroad tire though.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.