Beyond repair? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Beyond repair?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail 99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Headlights Clear Cor99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Chrome Headlights

Unread 09-28-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
The Von
1981 CJ7 

Beyond repair?

I found a set of doors for my CJ at the local Pick a Part for next to nothing. Problem is they are in pretty rough shape. The part where the window frame meets the door is rusted front and back and completely broken on one of them. Is repairing this possible. I was just going to cut out all the rust, weld up what i can, fill it with bondo, and rust bullet the whole thing. But since it is in a somewhat stuctural placde do you think it would hold up? Think I should use fierglass? Basically I am just looking for ideas and suggestions. I will try to get some pics of the doors today after I get them cleaned up and stripped so te full extent of the rust can be seen.

Unread 03-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
lobukjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you might be better off finding some better doors.Anything is repairable if you have the right tools and skill.Some things are just so labor intensive that it's just not worth it.I was going to pick up some cj doors myself one time,really cheap but they had the same problem as yours.The correct way to fix that would be to cut out the rust and replace it with new metal.Then you go through the task of trying to get it to where it looks decent.So now you have Doors+metal+Borrowing welder if you don't have one+labor.IMO i would hold out for something better.Unless you just wanting to beat them through the woods.
lobukjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.