Beware of POR15 Rip-off Scam - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Beware of POR15 Rip-off Scam

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-13-2013, 05:41 AM   #16
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It's worth waiting for, that stuff is amazing!

Unread 08-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #17
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The instructions on POR15.com are very lacking or imcomplete. Instructions lacking or imcomplete on the product bottles.

However, my local paint store has been very knowledgeable and helpful.

So that is another reason why I recommemd buying POR15 products from your local paint store. Probably your local Wesco dealer paint store (where I bought mine).

I recommend NOT buying direct from POR15.com website because their order processor/shipper is very unreliable, and you can get good enough instructions from Por15 website.

Buying local is best for POR15.
Unread 08-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #18
jfive
dos heeps

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Jul 13 (5 days ago)

From support@por15.com

Mr Albrecht

National Sales Manager – Retail/Automotive

malbrecht@por15.com
I'm guessing he's with POR15 judging from his email domain @por15.com. It's highly unlikely they'd let a distributor own that domain. Pretty crappy treatment if you ask me. I like their products but I certainly wouldn't like the run around you got.
'88 YJ
jfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #19
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfive View Post
I'm guessing he's with POR15 judging from his email domain @por15.com. It's highly unlikely they'd let a distributor own that domain. Pretty crappy treatment if you ask me. I like their products but I certainly wouldn't like the run around you got.
Ya. Agreed. They totally f'd up my project schedule by 3 weeks.

My local Wesco paint store sold me the products and has been really good to me. So buy local and no hassles. Buying local was slightly CHEAPER because no shipping costs and no bull poop.

The POR15 products are great, but the instructions are lacking on the cans/bottles and on their website, and they offer lousy customer service. So you must do a Google search for POR15 instructions to find help from other websites. The local paint store was some help too.
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #20
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Project finished successfully!

Here is a thread about the actual project, how it went, and some essential instructions.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f260/...today-1563737/
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #21
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

my recommendation to everyone would be to stay away from por-15 completely, there product sucks. i can not tell you how much money there products have cost me. i had to redo an $8000 paint job because of there product. i do everything they say and still have problems. every time i used there prodect i get about 6 months out of it and it is bubbling or pealing. i now use ppg dp90lf (the same product i used before i used por-15) and have jobs that have lasted 20+ years with no issues.

also por 15 is not uv stable lasts about 3 weeks in the sun before breaking down.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #22
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcat400 View Post
my recommendation to everyone would be to stay away from por-15 completely, there product sucks. i can not tell you how much money there products have cost me. i had to redo an $8000 paint job because of there product. i do everything they say and still have problems. every time i used there prodect i get about 6 months out of it and it is bubbling or pealing. i now use ppg dp90lf (the same product i used before i used por-15) and have jobs that have lasted 20+ years with no issues.

also por 15 is not uv stable lasts about 3 weeks in the sun before breaking down.
Hmm. Well, I had no problems prepping and painting with POR15. So far so good, but I don't know how long it will last.

I sure hope it lasts.

I know PPR15 is not UV stable, but I used mostly under Jeep where sun doesn't show. I also used on my brake drums, which will see a little sun.

Is that other brand you mentioned UV stable? If so, that'd be a big plus.
Unread 08-21-2013, 05:42 AM   #23
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Dp is an primer and requires a top coat if you want it glossy bit my bumper is just sprayed with it and is holding up well. For frames and such I use good old rust-oliem and have good luck with it.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #24
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Good to know. Since I already used POR15 and the job seemed to work out well, I'm hoping the POR15 lasts. We'll see.
Unread 09-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #25
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I could say all is well that ends well since my local paint store sold me the POR15 prep products and paint, and let me return the cans of paint I didn't use. Also, the local store was cheaper than POR15.com because local store doesn't charge me shipping.

However, the 3 week delay caused by the POR15.com website sales people and sales manager caused me to start my project 3 weeks later than planned. The POR15 portion of project was done a week ago, BUT we still have many other things to do before Fall weather arrives. My cousin is working on skidplates, lift, Currie Antirock, and other things outdoors.

We have run out of Summer. Fall has partially arrived, but Summer is partially still here. At least half the days here are still nice, the other half rain. Hopefully we'll have a nice enough September so we can finish.

The delay that jerk at POR15.com caused could be a problem if we run of Summer weather and Fall arrives on time, and we are still modifying and assembling things outdoors in Fall weather.

We're done with the main paint job, and now are in the middle of lift, new control arms, Antirock, skidplates, and Detours Backbone install (getting the Antirock to clear the Backbone bolts is requiring some tweaks), and still have to do some fabrication mods to my trailer hitch for tow point and possibly one skidplate. Some of these things will need to be spray painted or POR15'd after modifying/welding, if weather allows us to paint. Weather is now a daily "if".

POR15.com and that Albrect manager screwed my schedule by 3 weeks, which has become a problem for weather.

Also, my cousin had arranged his work schedule around my project (he's self employed), but that schedule went to hell thanks to POR15.com and Mr Albrecht. So now he has to fit it into his schedule where he never planned to, and some days he can't work now due to rain to conflicts with his job. I hope we're done this week, on most things, other than some fabrication stuff that I hope to finish next week.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.