Beware of POR15 Rip-off Scam - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Beware of POR15 Rip-off Scam

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Beware of POR15 Rip-off Scam

I want to restore the rusty underside of my Jeep. So I wanted a good rust coating paint.

On June 29, 2013, I ordered POR-15 preparation products: Marine Clean, and Prep & Ready. I also ordered POR-15 paint and POR-15 solvent from the POR15.com website. Their automotive products orders sold through their website are handled by Absolute Coatings.

I paid $326 including shipping.

It is now July 16. Absolute Coating has still shipped NOTHING. I contacted them a week ago about the products not having arrived. I found out they hadn't shipped. Over the next week I emailed them 6 times and called them 4 times. I still could not get them to ship the products.

Then I started trying to get a refund and then they stopped communicating with with me.

They processed my online order on June 29 and they charged my credit card right that day. After that they did not ship any product in 18 days time, nor did they refund my money.

Today (July 16) I went to my local credit union and filed a credit card dispute. The credit union manager says I'll probably have my money back by tomorrow.

What a rip off. Do not trust Absolute Coatings or POR15.

Unread 07-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

P.S. - It was the Absolute Coatings national sales manager Mr. A who answered my emails, but did nothing to help me, and then he stopped answering my emails.

I also called him several times, but had to leave a message each time because he never answers his phone.

He usually does not respond to voice-mails either.

He was absolutely no help during the week that I tried to resolve this.

The only help I got was from the manager at my local credit union who is getting charges reversed on my Visa card.

I also changed my Visa number (got a new card) due to the credit union manager's advice.
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

Post the emails. I'm curious to see the full story. Not trying to call you a liar or anything but this is the only bad thing I've ever read about them other than people simply not liking the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'd never heard anything bad about POR15 before either. So imagine my shock.

I will post the emails next time I'm at a computer. I'm on a phone right now.

I won't be able to post the one phone conversation because its not recorded. I can't post the voice mails because he never left me any. I left voice mails with him, and he ignored them.

I will post the emails.

I'm not saying the POR15 product is bad. I'm saying the online sales staff and their national sales manager at Absolute Coatings (handles the automotive sales of online purchases at POR15.com) are terrible/impossible to work, IME. For 18 days, I couldn't get them to ship product or give my money back.

I had to go to credit union and Visa to get my money back. BTW - Motorcharge, Visa doesn't reverse charges without proof. I proved my case to Visa, showed receipt and emails for evidence, gave written testimony, filled out paperwork, etc.

Later in the day, I bought POR15 products over the phone from a localish paint store 50 miles down the road. They had products in stock.

My beef is not with POR15 products or the manufacturer, but with their online reseller (Absolute Coatings) who handles online sales at POR15.com.

I'm not sure how Absolute Coatings is related to POR15. Possibly a subcontractor handling POR15.com online sales, or possibly a subsidiary of POR15. I am not sure of their relationship.

I only know that I went to POR15.com website and ordered products that I never received. When I checked in to it, Mr. A, Absolute Coating's National Sales Manager, told me he'd check into it. It took me many emails and calls before it became apparent that it never shipped. I repeatedly asked him to get it shipped and he ignored me. Eventually I realized he was never going to ship it. I then asked for a refund a few times and he continued to ignore me.

I will post the emails soon.
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

So you don't have a problem with por 15, you have a problem with the distributer.
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
70s J10 with J20 axles - yard art too
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
So you don't have a problem with por 15, you have a problem with the distributer.
Yes sir. That ^ is correct.

I think the POR15 products are great. It's their distributor (Absolute Coatings) who did me wrong.

I would never again order directly from POR15's website because their distributor (Absolute Coatings) handles those orders/sales, or is supposed to handle them, but in my case then processed my credit card (taking my money) then shipped nothing and issued no refunds in 18 days!

After filing my credit card dispute, which the credit union manager assured me I'd win within a day (because my case is so strong), I then bought POR15 products from a paint store in a town 50 miles away, which had the products in stock. The paint store made sure they had products in stock before accepting my order because they weren't sure about their ability to get new stock from the POR15 distributor. Now all I have to do is drive 100 miles round trip, to get the products.

As much of an inconvenience as driving 100 miles is, it's still way easier than dealing with the POR15 online distributor (Absolute Coatings). Other than the drive, the brick and mortar paint store is easy to deal with, faster, and cheaper because I don't have to pay shipping.
Unread 07-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #7
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I haven't had the time or energy to post emails yet, but I will get to it.
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

First email was my order receipt.

Jun 29, 2013

From support@por15.com

to Me

Thank you for ordering from POR-15, Inc. Your web order #8046576 for $321.68 was received on 6/29/2013 at 11:14:33 PM EST. All orders are normally shipped within 1-2 business days.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ITEM# DESCRIPTION QTY TOTAL
MRG PREP & READY 1 $33.82

MCG MARINE CLEAN 1 $22.50

SVG SOLVENT 1 $35.78

1QSB POR-15 1 $48.33

S4 POR-15 4 QUART SPECIAL 1 $165.50

SUB TOTAL: $305.93
TAX: $0.00
SHIPPING: $15.75 UNITED PARCEL SERVICE - GROUND
ORDER TOTAL: $321.68

BILLING INFORMATION

I deleted billing info from this section for privacy reasons.

SHIPPING INFORMATION

I deleted shipping info from this section for privacy reasons.

If you have any questions about your shipment, you may contact our customer service department at (800)-457-6715, between the hours of 9:00 am and 5:00 pm EST.

Thank you again for your order.

Sincerely,
POR-15, Inc.
Customer Service Department
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Second Email is my first inquiry.

Jul 11 (7 days ago)

From Me

To support@por15.com

Has this order shipped? When will it arrive?
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Third email is from Mr Albrecht, National Sales Manager, to Me.

Jul 11 (7 days ago)

From support@por15.com

To Me

I will have someone check into it. We are behind a bit on shipping. Sorry for the delay.

Thanks, Mr. Albrecht, National Sales Manager – Retail/Automotive

malbrecht@por15.com

Absolute Coatings, Inc.

38 Portman Road

New Rochelle, NY 10801

Tel: 973-887-1999 x. 145

Cell: 973-417-2132
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Fourth Email from me to Mr Albrecht, their national sales manager.

Jul 12 (6 days ago)

From Me

To support@por15.com

My Jeep was scheduled for disassembly, prepping, and painting this week, but I had to cancel that because POR15 shipment hadn't arrived.

Now it looks like I will have to cancel next week as well.

This is causing me scheduling problems. I am not happy!

I ordered from you week before last. I should have the stuff already.

Please expedite!
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Fifth Email from Mr Albrecht, National Sales Manager, to Me.

Jul 13 (5 days ago)

From support@por15.com

To Me

I understand your frustration. We recently moved our warehouse and have been having computer issues along the way. We apologize for the inconvenience. I will have someone look into this and determine why it hasn’t shipped out. Keep in mind our products can be shipped air. Are you familiar with any of the Wesco Paint Stores? Their website is wescopbe.com

See if they have the product in stock. Thanks, Mr Albrecht

Mr Albrecht

National Sales Manager – Retail/Automotive

malbrecht@por15.com

Absolute Coatings, Inc.

38 Portman Road

New Rochelle, NY 10801

Tel: 973-887-1999 x. 145

Cell: 973-417-2132
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sixth email from Me to Mr Albrecht, their National Sales Manager

Jul 15 (3 days ago)

From Me

To support@por15.com

Your system had no problem processing my payment the same day I ordered. It's now approx 2 weeks later and the stuff still hasn't shipped.

PLEASE ship it out today.
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #14
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

During the time the above email correspondence occurred, I also made several calls to Mr Albrecht's number and extension. I talked with him once, which was no help at all. All the other times I called, he did not answer, and I had to leave messages. He didn't respond to the voice mail messages I left him.

After the final email if Jul 15, I made 3 calls to Mr Albrecht's phone. I called that day and the next day, but he did not answer. I left 3 voice-mails, but he did not return my calls. I then asked for a refund because after 2 weeks it was obvious they were never going to ship the products, but I could NOT get a refund from them because they would not communicate with me.

After a day and a half of him not returning my calls, on July 16, I went to my local credit union and filed a credit card dispute to get my money back from Absolute Coatings, the company Mr Albrecht works for. Absolute Coatings handles the online sales at POR15.com.

My credit union manager said my case is so one-sided and strong, that I would win and get my money back within 1 business day because it's a clear cut case that I was wronged and deserve my money back, and Visa would readily agree when they see the facts.

I do not know if Absolute Coatings is a subcontractor that handles the POR15.com website sales, or if Absolute Coatings is a subsidiary of POR15. All I know is that Absolute Coatings took my money and gave me nothing in return, except hassles.

On July 16, I bought POR15 products from a localish paint store 50 miles down the road and have had no hassles with them at all, except for having to drive 100 miles round trip to get the stuff. Also, it cost less because I don't have to pay shipping. If you add my cost of gas, then I guess it cost the same. As far as my time to localish paint store, well, 2 hrs driving time is less than the time wasted on hassles with Absolute Coatings and Visa dispute.

If you want POR15 products, I suggest you buy from your nearest localish paint store, or possibly from other websites, such as Ebay, Amazon, etc. I suggest you NOT buy from the POR15.com website directly because then you'll be dealing with Absolute Coatings.
Unread 08-09-2013, 01:17 AM   #15
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I got POR15 procucts from a local paint store.

Since then, all is going well.

Tags
POR 15 , por15 , rust prevention , rust proofing , rust repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.