better crosslink for bigger tires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > better crosslink for bigger tires?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-22-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
Paxter
2000 TJ Wrangler 

better crosslink for bigger tires?

So I went to get an alignment done because I had a slight death wobble. The mechanic showed me bad ball joints on the passenger side which I believe is the sole cause. I had the same exact setup and experienced no DW . Yet he told me that because of the small lift and 31" tires the crosslink needs to be replaced. He could physically move it. Because of that he told me that could also cause death wobble.

I guess my question is...since I want to upgrade to 33 " skinny tires someday is this something I should seriously consider right now? (Replacing crosslink?)

Paxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #2
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxter View Post
So I went to get an alignment done because I had a slight death wobble. The mechanic showed me bad ball joints on the passenger side which I believe is the sole cause. I had the same exact setup and experienced no DW . Yet he told me that because of the small lift and 31" tires the crosslink needs to be replaced. He could physically move it. Because of that he told me that could also cause death wobble.

I guess my question is...since I want to upgrade to 33 " skinny tires someday is this something I should seriously consider right now? (Replacing crosslink?)
Do you mean the steering bar that connects to the driver side knuckle? That's called the tie rod.

The bar that bolts to the steering box is the drag link.

It wouldn't hurt if you replaced it. A cheap upgrade is to use ZJ parts. You need three parts:
Driver side tie rod end. (Bolts to knuckle)
Passenger side tie rod. (Bolts to drag link)
Connecting sleeve. (The adjustment sleeve)
Somebody else can probably help with part #'s.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
Paxter
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I was repeating what the guy said. As he was saying it I didn't think he was using the correct term but I myself was blanking. Thank you for the reply. I will definitely look into that
Paxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I ran the stock steering on 33s for over two years. I sometimes had a slight shimmy that I think was a tire balance issue but never death wobble.

If your stock stuff is worn out and has play, now would be the time to upgrade especially if you plan on off road use.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.