Bestop Soft Top - you might want to avoid it - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Bestop Soft Top - you might want to avoid it

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Closed Thread
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This is why I'm debating getting a Bestop Twill top, it has a lifetime warranty. Would come in handy if most tops only last ~5yrs?!

Unread 05-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #17
extremejm
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's garage kept most of the time...

Regardless, the photos tell the truth; even they should have known that.
extremejm is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #18
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would take it to a shoe repair or boat top shop and see what they can do. They can probably just sew in new Velcro fairly cheap. I say shoe because they have the heavy duty machines and boat shop should be a no brainer for them. Might also consider just getting snaps pressed in, Velcro sucks for tops in my opinion.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #19
extremejm
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshw301 View Post
I would take it to a shoe repair or boat top shop and see what they can do. They can probably just sew in new Velcro fairly cheap. I say shoe because they have the heavy duty machines and boat shop should be a no brainer for them. Might also consider just getting snaps pressed in, Velcro sucks for tops in my opinion.
Agreed (velcro). I never would have thought a shoe place. Hmmm. Think I'll give that a shot! Thanks!
extremejm is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #20
jeffreybomb
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just so everyone knows, "extremejm" is a troll. He made new accounts on three different forums, specifically to trash Bestop.

He registered a bogus account and started an identical thread at WranglerForum. It was brought to an admin's attention and deleted.

He also registered a bogus account and started another identical thread at JeepTalk.

Just a heads-up.
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #21
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreybomb View Post
Just so everyone knows, "extremejm" is a troll. He made new accounts on three different forums, specifically to trash Bestop.

He registered a bogus account and started an identical thread at WranglerForum. It was brought to an admin's attention and deleted.

He also registered a bogus account and started another identical thread at JeepTalk.

Just a heads-up.
I had my suspicions since this thread was his first (and only?) activity. Almost called him out on it but I've been trying to give people the benefit of the doubt lately.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #22
Quadratec
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
2007 JK Wrangler 

Hello extremejm,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with your Bestop soft top.
In my experience with soft tops ('85 CJ-7, '97 TJ, '00 TJ, '03 TJ, '07 JK, & '09 JK) salt water in the air eat seams way faster than normal (garage kept or not). Bee's wax works wonders on the seams to slow the process, but being near the water kills any soft top; OE, Bestop (which makes the OE) or other...
Bestop's Sailcloth top is covered by a 2 Year Limited Warranty, so that may explain why you have not received a response.

Have you tried contacting the place where you purchased the top?

Which ever top you decide to replace it with, I can offer you free shipping.

We Price Match, PM me for a quote

Online Hours: 9am-5pm EST Monday - Friday

Jeep Parts | Jeep Wheels | Jeep Tires | Jeep Lift Kits | Jeep Bumpers | Jeep Soft Tops

Last edited by Quadratec; 05-08-2013 at 05:05 PM..
Quadratec is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #23
jeffreybomb
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert
I had my suspicions since this thread was his first (and only?) activity. Almost called him out on it but I've been trying to give people the benefit of the doubt lately.
Not to mention the first handful of replies to his thread here pointed out their positive opinions of the company.

Had you called him out, he probably would've claimed you had a "god complex" like he did to me when I called him out at the other forum.

Even if he's a legitimate person, it's frustrating to watch because (as I mentioned on the other forum before the thread was deleted) Bestop does not hide the fact that their tops have a life expectancy of 3 to 5 years. In fact, they mention it on the Support section of their website. This guy had his top for four years.

As for getting help, I don't believe for a second that he ever called Bestop customer service.

He also vastly overpaid for his top. Rather than admit he should've shopped around, he would rather make excuses and claim that his top should've lasted ten years because he paid "so much."

It's toolboxes like extremejm that give good companies bad names.
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #24
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreybomb View Post
Bestop does not hide the fact that their tops have a life expectancy of 3 to 5 years. In fact, they mention it on the Support section of their website.
I didn't know that. I guess I'm getting my money's worth. I'm nearing the end of year four and mine is still as good as new.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #25
silvanus
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'll be replacing my top at some point this year on my TJ-L. After seven years it's time! It won't a bestop, black is the only color they're using the last decade.

I'll be talking with an marine top shop and will work with them to make one in Haartz fabric in sand or almond. I also am not a fan of sail cloth nor their bow design and of lack of colors!
silvanus is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #26
7T7
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know the age of my bestop bc it was on the jeep when i bought it used but its in great shape and will get another when the time comes. I do wish though they'd make one with white inserted on the roof portion to help reflect heat.
7T7 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 05:25 AM   #27
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7T7 View Post
I don't know the age of my bestop bc it was on the jeep when i bought it used but its in great shape and will get another when the time comes. I do wish though they'd make one with white inserted on the roof portion to help reflect heat.
Bestop makes a heat shield thing that you put under the fabric. Suppose to work pretty good.
Quote:
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #28
7T7
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
Bestop makes a heat shield thing that you put under the fabric. Suppose to work pretty good.
Good to know. I'll check it out. Thanks for the info!
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:30 AM   #29
silvanus
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7T7 View Post
you would need a shield if they made lighter colors other than black!
silvanus is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #30
7T7
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert
I checked it out and decided to give ot a try. Found it for 95 bucks with free shipping. Thanks again for the info.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.