Best winch for my money - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Best winch for my money

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 08-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #91
-jb-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I'd investigate a bit further. I've been around a few of them on the trail and pouring molasses out of a wine bottle that has been stored outside in Minnesota in the winter would easily be faster and more entertaining.

A Sammy was on trail with us and he noticed an overwrap so we stopped for a snack so he could unspool it and respool to fix it. I don't wear a watch, but his unloaded line speed on the spool in was easily no more than 3 feet per minute. Loaded was half that. Reminded me a those lowered ricers with the loud exhaust because it made a whole bunch of noise but not much was happening.
Couldn't agree more. I recently sold the Chicago I had and I respooled the line for a friend. I think I saw dirt build up faster.

However I will say they are reliable for that time you need just a little help to get out of a jam. But if you had to winch a dead vehicle out of the trail. Pack survival gear and some food.

Yellow Jeep Member #42
01 TJ, HP 30/Locked, dana44/locked, 4.88's, 4in ProComp Springs, JKS 1.25 bl, JKS Trackbar, Currie Arms, RS9000XL shocks, 35x12.50 MTR Kevlars, 15x8 Soft 8's, Skyjacker Discos, Brown Dog MML, SYE, Smittybilt Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier, Currie Steering, Warn x8000i
03 Jeep TJ, 1 Ton Project. 79 Dana 60/dana 70, 5.9L 360, hiline tube fenders
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #92
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jb- View Post
Couldn't agree more. I recently sold the Chicago I had and I respooled the line for a friend. I think I saw dirt build up faster.

However I will say they are reliable for that time you need just a little help to get out of a jam. But if you had to winch a dead vehicle out of the trail. Pack survival gear and some food.
on a side note:
space blanket: i could bury myself in snow like bear grylls and stay warmer. that or light a candle under my poncho. a nice 76 degrees. then again...why even pack food. you could just eat your synthetic line that snapped. hahaha ok ok im done for the night, just had to throw that in there.
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #93
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjilla View Post
yes. and i apologize i havent gotten around to upgrading my rear recovery points on my jeep i purchased a year ago. my current jeep is new to me and in time it will have what it needs. just kinda hard to ship a 100lb rear bumper to an APO box....much less a welder. Im not intrested in buying a welder locally i cant use in the United States without a re wire. You know nothing about me or my history with off roading, muchless what vehicles I have run or anything to that nature. So flaming about a rear tow hook is muchless unprofessional on your part. That is awesome that your rope has lasted that long. I`m not going to ask how much youve used the rope in the last 8 years, so im not coming off as flaming back on your 8 year old rope or winching/recovery experience (like you gathered-all by my one rear tow hook on the JK that you assuminglly think is the only vehicle i have upgraded and preformed recovery procedures with).
All I know about you is what's in your profile and there was nothing unprofessional in my question to you. There was also no flaming in my question to you.

I've lost count of the number of times that my rope has been used.

I've never seen synthetic rope "dry rot" and with the age and use that mine has seen, I would be interested if you could post something pertaining to that...

"The synthetic ropes are not generally affected by mildew or dry rot, and can withstand long periods of wetting without any noticeable loss of strength or change in appearance." http://kickinteractive.com/dc/units/1_1/synthetic.html
Knuckelhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #94
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Good luck on that...really.
Hey, thanks, guy!

Quote:
you pull enough winch line you will grow to hate steel.
I've done a whole lot of a whole lot of things and have grown to hate very many of them. That's life. If there's a job to be done, get to doing it and stop crying about it.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #95
nedster03

Perhaps pretty good, hard to tell these days.
nedster03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #96
nedster03

Perhaps pretty good, hard to tell these days.
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #97
nedster03

Perhaps pretty good, hard to tell these days.[/QUOTE]
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #98
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
If there's a job to be done, get to doing it and stop crying about it.
Even when there is a much better and easier alternative?
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #99
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw
Hey, thanks, guy!

I've done a whole lot of a whole lot of things and have grown to hate very many of them. That's life. If there's a job to be done, get to doing it and stop crying about it.
Yea that's all fine & dandy when your sittin in the jeep and your buddies are having to pull your line.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #100
mrblaine
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yea that's all fine & dandy when your sittin in the jeep and your buddies are having to pull your line.
My buddies like me, I like them, we don't abuse each other that way.
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #101
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

My buddies like me, I like them, we don't abuse each other that way.
+1 I'm the first one out to pull the line. I've winched my own damn self out plenty of times.
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #102
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post

Even when there is a much better and easier alternative?
Define "much" and define "better"...I don't think we've determined that either of those are objective with regards to this debate yet

"Easier" correlates to "not better" more cases than not.
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #103
Sixbanga
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Good luck on that...really...you pull enough winch line you will grow to hate steel.
Gona hi jack as I think the op's question has been answered pretty well.

My 8274 has over 100' of 3/8 wire rope on it. I enjoy pulling it knowing It will not likely be damaged by anything sharp no matter how it is rigged. I would like to try syn line but I feel I would spend more time rigging, cleaning, and inspecting the the syn then it's worth to me.
I like the ride it hard and put it away wet aspect of steel. I have heard the early syn lines didnt like be stored with mud on them etc. Is that a still a problem, or just bs?
Sixbanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #104
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixbanga View Post

Gona hi jack as I think the op's question has been answered pretty well.

My 8274 has over 100' of 3/8 wire rope on it. I enjoy pulling it knowing It will not likely be damaged by anything sharp no matter how it is rigged. I would like to try syn line but I feel I would spend more time rigging, cleaning, and inspecting the the syn then it's worth to me.
I like the ride it hard and put it away wet aspect of steel. I have heard the early syn lines didnt like be stored with mud on them etc. Is that a still a problem, or just bs?
It's all BS. Every negative thing you ever heard about synthetic line is BS. None better.
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #105
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post

It's all BS. Every negative thing you ever heard about synthetic line is BS. None better.
Or more commonly second hand info. "Well my buddies, cousins, sister's, BF was killed by a broken cable/line"

Sent from my phone where grammar isn't easy.

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.