Best winch for my money - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Best winch for my money

Disc Brake Kits from ECGSECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #76
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
Your rule is really nice and pretty there, until you get out in a real world situation where tough choices need to be made by men.

Steel seems ready for the tough choices. Syn seems kind of girly about it. Needing a cover and sunscreen. "Ooh don't be too rough with me", I'm dainty! ...stupid gay syn cable. I bet you can get it in pink too?
Isn't there some law that the first refuge of intellectual loss is the resort to name calling and gender confusion?

Unread 08-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #77
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jb- View Post
Instead of having a "manly" conversation you resort to 3rd grade antics.
oh come now, it was all in good fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Isn't there some law that the first refuge of intellectual loss is the resort to name calling and gender confusion?
I had not heard that law before, but it makes sense to me

on topic, I had no idea the HF winches were so highly regarded for reliability. I been pulled out by one once, so incredibly slow...but that's not necessarily a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #78
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

very happy with the Warn 9.5Ti that i picked up on CL for $550. it had a syn line on it already and was rebuilt by warn before i purchased it. I found out later that this winch has a high temp warning that 12voltguy wired into their in-cab controls.
http://www.12voltguy.com/9.5TI-WINCH-PANEL.html

tons of power, reliability, and a line speed right around 60 ft per min.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #79
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjilla View Post
what about these comeup winches..i havent heard about anyone running them yet...........
Yes you have, they just had a different name glued on them.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...Comeup-Winches
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #80
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

on topic, I had no idea the HF winches were so highly regarded for reliability. I been pulled out by one once, so incredibly slow...but that's not necessarily a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned.
I'd investigate a bit further. I've been around a few of them on the trail and pouring molasses out of a wine bottle that has been stored outside in Minnesota in the winter would easily be faster and more entertaining.

A Sammy was on trail with us and he noticed an overwrap so we stopped for a snack so he could unspool it and respool to fix it. I don't wear a watch, but his unloaded line speed on the spool in was easily no more than 3 feet per minute. Loaded was half that. Reminded me a those lowered ricers with the loud exhaust because it made a whole bunch of noise but not much was happening.
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #81
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'd investigate a bit further. I've been around a few of them on the trail and pouring molasses out of a wine bottle that has been stored outside in Minnesota in the winter would easily be faster and more entertaining.

A Sammy was on trail with us and he noticed an overwrap so we stopped for a snack so he could unspool it and respool to fix it. I don't wear a watch, but his unloaded line speed on the spool in was easily no more than 3 feet per minute. Loaded was half that. Reminded me a those lowered ricers with the loud exhaust because it made a whole bunch of noise but not much was happening.
lol. Well I understand speed is a benefit, but I'm more results oriented, at the end of the of the day.
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #82
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
lol. Well I understand speed is a benefit, but I'm more results oriented, at the end of the of the day.
We've had to winch, tug, and tow some broken rigs through some of our trails and if I had to do it with a winch like that, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. Our intended result is to get back to camp, preferably on the same day we left and I can't even begin to imagine that level of pain.

We had to get David out the top of FOH in 3 wheel drive and we probably did 10-15 anchor point resets and then long pulls and there is no way I'd want to be any where near that level of recovery with a winch that slow.
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #83
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
We've had to winch, tug, and tow some broken rigs through some of our trails and if I had to do it with a winch like that, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. Our intended result is to get back to camp, preferably on the same day we left and I can't even begin to imagine that level of pain.

We had to get David out the top of FOH in 3 wheel drive and we probably did 10-15 anchor point resets and then long pulls and there is no way I'd want to be any where near that level of recovery with a winch that slow.
yeh, I guess I can see how time could add up pretty quickly on a deal like that.
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #84
nedster03

I just went through this same process. It appears the older Warn winches were made in the USA. Some newer versions are not. To qualify that, the parts are made in China and assembled here. Look at the Smittybuilt X series (which I have) and the Harbor Freight Badlands series. Nearly identical, both made in China.
nedster03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #85
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedster03 View Post
I just went through this same process. It appears the older Warn winches were made in the USA. Some newer versions are not. To qualify that, the parts are made in China and assembled here. Look at the Smittybuilt X series (which I have) and the Harbor Freight Badlands series. Nearly identical, both made in China.
I sell Centric Premium rotors some of which are made in China, Autozone sells a rotor made in China. What are the odds they are the same quality?
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #86
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I run a 2.5 yo discontinued Superwinch, I busted the steel cable on the second use 2 years ago, I purchased Viking Syn line, It has been used many times, I love the syn line.

I don't have any issues with the Superwinch, I just recently replaced the OEM gear lube with Aeroshell 33 for easier freespooling.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #87
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I always respool my steel line nice and clean.
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #88
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw
I always respool my steel line nice and clean.
You have too on steel not so much for syn.
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #89
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
You have too on steel not so much for syn.
lol, okay. It's a 5 minute process tops, and actually allows for regular inspection of the entire line, but score 1 for syn then.

My point being that keeping it in this manner, I'll likely NEVER have to replace it.
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #90
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw

lol, okay. It's a 5 minute process tops, and actually allows for regular inspection of the entire line, but score 1 for syn then.

My point being that keeping it in this manner, I'll likely NEVER have to replace it.
Good luck on that...really...you pull enough winch line you will grow to hate steel.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.